Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
meandher57
Enthusiast
meandher57 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Couple of Unanswered Kobo Questions

I had posted three questions in the wrong forum...however I did receive an answer to one. And again, I apologize if these are already asked and answered....

Remaining issue #1
Uploading books to the Kobo memory from Calibre. Most of the time, this just doesn't work for me. It SHOWS that it has uploaded the book to the main device, but when I disconnect the new books do not show up... and upon reconnecting, Calibre informs me that the books I had previously uploaded are NOT on the device.

However... it does work when uploading to the removable SD card.

Remaining issue #2
After uploading with Calibre and properly disconnecting, the Kobo reboots... updates the content... and then freezes on the "now reading" screen. It takes several power button pushes to get it to reboot again, and then everything seems to work okay.

Any thoughts on these? I really do appreciate all the help!
meandher57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
hemisphire
Connoisseur
hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, HP Pre2, Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandher57 View Post
I had posted three questions in the wrong forum...however I did receive an answer to one. And again, I apologize if these are already asked and answered....

Remaining issue #1
Uploading books to the Kobo memory from Calibre. Most of the time, this just doesn't work for me. It SHOWS that it has uploaded the book to the main device, but when I disconnect the new books do not show up... and upon reconnecting, Calibre informs me that the books I had previously uploaded are NOT on the device.

Interesting, haven't had any issues like these. What version of the firmware do you have? And when you've uploaded a book, can you go into Windows Explorer, go to the Kobo and see if the ebook is there?
hemisphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
meandher57
Enthusiast

It looks like Calibre has put them all in files by author... and then they do not show up. Does that make any sense?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
meandher57
Enthusiast

further...

I just hooked up my Kobo... fired up caliber... checked a few things... used the "eject device" command from within calibre... checked to see that the icon for the external device was gone from the windows tray.... unplugged the Kobo.

It rebooted... checked for new content... took me to I'm Reading... and there it had frozen.

Two presses of the power button reboots me again... and all is fine.

I have also tried ejecting directly from the icon in the tray...and from my computer. Same result every time.

Software version is 1.9 (r25373) March 29/11 Revision 58.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I've seen my Kobo freeze up after I've added new books and it was updating its database. On all occasions I have been able to track the problem down to either strange characters in the filename (best to only have a-z and 0-9) or a corrupt epub file.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
meandher57
Enthusiast

I reformatted my SD card with FAT32 as suggested and that allowed me to add books from Calibre to that card.

However... I still can't upload to the main memory. Is there a specific place I am supposed to drop files if I am manually moving files across in explorer?

This morning I downloaded a dozen or so epub files from public domain sites, then dragged them into my Kobo. After rebooting... and freezing up... and rebooting again... NONE of the new files show up in the "Books" section of my Kobo. In fact, I think the only things that show up are one I bought from Kobo... and a handful of books that I reformatted from word to pdf.

None of the epub books on the Kobo's hard drive show up. AND they don't show up in Calibre as being on the device either.

I can always upload to the SD card which has more memory... but it's almost like the Kobo's onboard memory is reserved for books purchased from their website!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
hemisphire
Connoisseur
hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hemisphire can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, HP Pre2, Touchpad
That's very strange, I've never had a problem using Calibre to download books to my Kobo. When I look at Kobo through Windows Explorer, each author of a book I've downloaded from Calibre has their own directory, and there is an .epub file of every book I've downloaded.

I wonder if you just created the author directory on you Kobo, then copied over the .epub file from your computer, if Calibre would recognize it.
hemisphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
meandher57
Enthusiast

I appreciate your response but my bigger issue seems to be that the KOBO doesn't recognize epubs that I add to it's own memory.

Just PDF's and one book that I bought through Kobo.

And, of course, the 100 pre-installed books.

However it DOES recognize any that I put on the SD card.

Very strange.....
Old 05-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you been in touch with Kobo tech support over these issues ?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
meandher57
Enthusiast

Thanks...yes... send in an email a couple of hours ago. Awaiting a reply.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
wbteeple
wbteeple began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Pre Plus
I can't speak to the first issue, since I don't experience this. The second issue is familiar to me. I would ask what your PC operating system is and what version of Calibre you are running. I have seen something similar but I'm thinking it is due to faulty USB or Windows. The reason I suspect USB is because any time I plug in my Pre+ to copy files, it loses connection and often needs to be removed and plugged in once or twice. Both operations work correctly every time at home on my notebook running Windows Vista.

Not actually a solution to your problem, but a place to look.

Au revoir,

Bill

Quote:

Remaining issue #1

Remaining issue #2
After uploading with Calibre and properly disconnecting, the Kobo reboots... updates the content... and then freezes on the "now reading" screen. It takes several power button pushes to get it to reboot again, and then everything seems to work okay.

Any thoughts on these? I really do appreciate all the help!
wbteeple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
meandher57
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbteeple View Post
I would ask what your PC operating system is and what version of Calibre you are running.
Let's see... Windows XP... and Calibre 0.759... but it looks like another update is out so we will see what THAT one does.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
shall1028
Nameless Being

Quote:
my bigger issue seems to be that the KOBO doesn't recognize epubs that I add to it's own memory.
Hmmm... at least on my Kobo books show up via three methods: Kobo Desktop, Adobe Digital Editions and drag & drop via OSX Finder.

I tried Calibre once but it corrupted the on-Kobo database severely. Ever since I stopped using it, reformatted the Kobo and stuck to the above three methods of transfer I have had no problems at all.

Yet somehow it's Kobo's responsibility that Calibre transferred books don't show up on your Kobo. My advice wait until Calibre hits 1.0 status.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
Do you have the same issues with ADE? If not, why not consider using that instead (at least until you can get the Calibre issues sorted out)?
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #15
meandher57
Enthusiast

Well after I received an email from Kobo that they could not help me (because I was using Calibre which they don't support), I moved all my downloaded ebooks to my SD card and did a factory reset.

I re-synced everything with the Kobo desktop application but now the ebooks that I purchased or downloaded through that application will not open - I think the error message reads Not Authorized or something like that.

Is there another secret to re-syncing your purchased books follow a factory reset?