Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
need something to read drawing a blank

I just finally got caught up with James Rollins Sigma series by finishing The Doomsday Key.

I am trying to read the Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, but I can't get into it.

I want something along the lines of a James Rollins type book.

You know action, with a lot of science talk, and puzzles, and religious type overtones.

His next book is not coming out until the 29th, so I am looking for something else.

I like Indiana Jones type stories, and been really into those right now, but I also love historical fiction, and sci-fi and horror type stuff as well.

Thanks.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Check out the Cotton Malone series by Steve Berry. Here is the description for the first book "The Templar Legacy" via fantastic.fiction.co.uk.

Quote:
The ancient order of the Knights Templar possessed untold wealth and absolute power over kings and popes . . . until the Inquisition, when they were wiped from the face of the earth, their hidden riches lost. But now two forces vying for the treasure have learned that it is not at all what they thought it was-and its true nature could change the modern world.

Cotton Malone, one-time top operative for the U.S. Justice Department, is enjoying his quiet new life as an antiquarian book dealer in Copenhagen when an unexpected call to action reawakens his hair-trigger instincts-and plunges him back into the cloak-and-dagger world he thought he'd left behind.

It begins with a violent robbery attempt on Cotton's former supervisor, Stephanie Nelle, who's far from home on a mission that has nothing to do with national security. Armed with vital clues to a series of centuries-old puzzles scattered across Europe, she means to crack a mystery that has tantalized scholars and fortune-hunters through the ages by finding the legendary cache of wealth and forbidden knowledge thought to have been lost forever when the order of the Knights Templar was exterminated in the fourteenth century. But she's not alone. Competing for the historic prize-and desperate for the crucial information Stephanie possesses-is Raymond de Roquefort, a shadowy zealot with an army of assassins at his command.

Welcome or not, Cotton seeks to even the odds in the perilous race. But the more he learns about the ancient conspiracy surrounding the Knights Templar, the more he realizes that even more than lives are at stake. At the end of a lethal game of conquest, rife with intrigue, treachery, and craven lust for power, lies a shattering discovery that could rock the civilized world-and, in the wrong hands, bring it to its knees.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
http://www.literature-map.com/

This is a fantastic site for helping to choose authors who are like someone you really like.

Just type in James Rollins and you will see authors who are close to his name on the map. The closer they are to the main author means that their books should be something that you would like.

I like James Rollins, Jack DuBrul, Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child, Steve Berry and have been told by member, cbell, that I would like Mathew Reilly also. (Their names are all close together, so this map must be pretty good)
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:34 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
After I'd finished the Sigma series, I also felt kind of lost, and it was probably a fortnight before I started searching for something completely different... I found The count of Monte Crisco, and just couldn't put it down...

Now, that I'm cured of my Rollins addiction, I'm reading a wide variety of e-books...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:43 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Thanks for that link, Dreams. Very useful -- here's karma to ya.

By the way, folks, if anyone wants to pop into the site of my own wee publishing house (www.bewrite.net), just drop me a line and I'll send over ebook versions of anything that catches your eye free of charge for the rest of this year. PDF only so far, I'm afraid, but a wide range of genres.

ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign). Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post

This is a fantastic site for helping to choose authors who are like someone you really like.

Just type in James Rollins and you will see authors who are close to his name on the map. The closer they are to the main author means that their books should be something that you would like.
Very interesting site. I'll have to spend some time testing it. They have Tony Hillerman and Peter Bown about as far away from each other as possible, but I like both of them.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
After I'd finished the Sigma series, I also felt kind of lost, and it was probably a fortnight before I started searching for something completely different... I found The count of Monte Crisco, and just couldn't put it down...

Now, that I'm cured of my Rollins addiction, I'm reading a wide variety of e-books...

Yeah that is how I feel. I remember reading Sandstorm and being blown away by it.

Though I am starting World War Z right now. I saw a lot of great things about that.

Hey don't worry though December 29 we can get our James Rollins Fix. Altar of Eden I think it is called. It is a single Story, and the Next Sigma Book is in July 2010. I forget the title it is on his page.

That website is a great site. Thanks for that. Karma for you. I heard about Steve Berry I may try him next.

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
If you like action and science you might consider The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post

I like James Rollins, Jack DuBrul, Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child, Steve Berry and have been told by member, cbell, that I would like Mathew Reilly also. (Their names are all close together, so this map must be pretty good)
Thank you for the link, Dreams, this will come in handy!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Try Mathew Reilly - Australian Author. Starting with '7 Ancient Wonders' - followed by '6 Sacred Stones' and 'The 5 greatest Warriors' . His other books are good too, but don't fall in the same genre. In that I also like Douglas Preston.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
rock
Addict

Thanks all for the suggestions, I need to make a booklist on board on Books now lol.

Katti's Cat, those titles sound right up my alley, and cassidym, That book sounds really interesting.

It is funny, before James Rollins, I mostly read books by H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, and horror type books. Once I read Sandstorm, I think it was when it first hit paperback, I was just hooked to those type of books.

So Thanks for your all your suggestions.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Thanks for that link, Dreams. Very useful -- here's karma to ya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Very interesting site. I'll have to spend some time testing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
That website is a great site. Thanks for that. Karma for you. I heard about Steve Berry I may try him next. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Thank you for the link, Dreams, this will come in handy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
So Thanks for your all your suggestions.

You're all welcome, I like to play on that site when I want to check on authors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Try Mathew Reilly - Australian Author. Starting with '7 Ancient Wonders' - followed by '6 Sacred Stones' and 'The 5 greatest Warriors' . His other books are good too, but don't fall in the same genre. In that I also like Douglas Preston.
It's nice to have another person suggest the same author member cbell suggested to me. I definitely will have to check him out.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Rock, have you tried Wilbur Smith's 'Ancient Egyptian' series? It starts with River God, which is absolutely fantastic, much better than Rollins IMHO.
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
rock
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
Rock, have you tried Wilbur Smith's 'Ancient Egyptian' series? It starts with River God, which is absolutely fantastic, much better than Rollins IMHO.
Never heard, but definitely will check that out.

Better than Rollins though? mm that is tough. Though I must thank Rollins, I read Dan Browns Angels and Demons and Da Vinci Code before I read Sandstorm, and now I cannot even read a Dan Brown book. He is all over the place, with his writing and everything.

So I should thank James Rollins for making me realized that even more lol.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #15
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Better than Rollins though? mm that is tough.

....trust me, I've read both and Smith gets the nod by a long neck!!
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote