Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
jessTay
Connoisseur
jessTay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2! YAY
Canadian wanting ebook... which one?

Hey everyone!

For the last little while I've been researching eBook readers, getting overly excited, etc. I saw the Amazon Kindle and liked the look of it much more than the Sony Reader, mostly because of the ease of getting books on the device and also because when searching books I would be interested in, Amazon had better eBooks for cheaper.

Then I found out Amazon won't ship or sell outside of the U.S., and that we couldn't get the wifi here either.

I researched the Cybook by Bookeen, and it seemed pretty good... only 350 CAN, which is as much as the Sony Reader here. I would be able to get the Sony Reader for Best Buy though. If I had the Cybook shipped to me it would be 420 for the eBook reader, shipping, and cover, which is close to what the Sony Reader would be with tax if I ordered online and got the cover or even with tax with the cover from Best Buy.

I also noticed the iLiad. Would I be able to get that here? It seems a lot heavier than the Cybook, which is already half the weight of the Sony Reader. I like the ability to work with a stylus though. How much do those run? Would I be able to get the wifi or hook up to the internet with it in Canada?

Sony eBooks just seem so much more expensive, and I'd be looking for specific titles (i'm an English university student) and hoping to get them for cheaper.

I'm leaning towards the Cybook.
I'd appreciate any help or suggestions, in particular from Canadians who have bought any of these products!
Thanks!
Jess
jessTay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
What if the Sony was cheaper than what you saw at BestBuy or from the Sony Store?

http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/produ....php?pid=55522

Cheers.

P.S. I have a Sony PRS 505 and LOVE IT so I may biased.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
jessTay
Connoisseur

hmm

Wow that is a lot cheaper and I am a poor student :P
and it comes with the cover.

Since you've had experience with the Sony Reader,

does it disply images and jpegs well or at least as well as the others?
Also I would be reading a fair number of PDFs on whichever reader I purchase since I often have to read articles for school in PDF format.

Is sony compatible with MobiPocket? Because I found a great selection on there... I'd want to be saving money by getting eBooks as well as have an easy and fun device to read on the bus. Does it feel really heavy?

thanks for the link!
Jess
Old 05-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
I've got limited experience with the 505 since I've only had it fore about 4 books or 3 weeks. :-)

It came pre-installed with 3 images - I'm not sure which format but they did look very nice. I've never seen another reader (save the kindle ads which we can't use) so I cannot campare it to anything.

I have yet to read a PDF on it so I can't speak to that. I know the library here does make books available via PDF so I may one day look at that.

If you use Calibre, most formats should be compatible (convert and load onto 505). I think some formats may require that you strip the DRM though before you can do that.

It is NOT heavy at all. The cover with the light (which I purchased separately) does make it a little heavier than without but it's still very comfortable to use.

Cheers.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Sony will read pdfs but it is geared towards novels in pdf format. Some academic pdfs will not display well. Download the Sony software and try to view a pdf in their emulator. That is how your pdfs will look on the reader.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
jessTay
Connoisseur

pdf and cybook

Thanks for the info! If I decide to get a Sony Reader, I'll definately download the software to see what they'll look like. The articles are usually only text and don't have diagrams or anything.

Can anyone tell me how the cybook measures up?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The Cybook doesn't reflow the text like the Sony but Cybook does have a zoom feature. You may want to search the forum a little to see if you can find an explanation of how zoom works.

One thing that has not been mentioned about the Sony is when reading pdfs, if you don't like the way the text reflows when enlarging the text size, you can change the text to landscape mode. This will change the pdf to fit the screen width but break each page into a top page and bottom page. Move between top and bottom by hitting the page forward back buttons. Again, check the forums and someone may have a picture of how this looks.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=45896&page=2

See post #17 on page 2
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
jessTay
Connoisseur

i was talking about it to my parents and I realized how much I have my heart set on the Cybook. Any Cybook users able to address any of my questions?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
The cheapest you can get is the iPod touch.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:56 AM   #11
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
As a Canadian who purchased a Cybook back in 2007 I can say it's a great device. The Mobipocket support is great and I love the dictionary lookup from within the eBook. Most of my reading is fiction in Mobipocket format with some simple PDF children's eBooks. As long as the images are simple and render well to black/white they look fine on the Cybook, it is not good for graphs or complicated charts though.

If cost is an issue, you may want to consider the BeBook. It also supports DRM-Mobipocket and comes with a case.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask, there are some very knowledgeable people in this group.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
I live in Canada also and the proud owner of the sony 505 and love it..Purchased it at the Sony store here where I live..Still not sure why they hire ppl that have NO idea how something works.Oh well . But what ever you buy I'm sure your going to love it..
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've had a CyBook since they first appeared, and am extremely happy with it. It has the best MobiPocket support of any eInk device on the market, although its PDF support is rather "lacking".

If you want to read MobiPocket books, I'd recommend it thoroughly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
jessTay
Connoisseur

how is the PDF support lacking? I heard it was pretty good.

I'd mostly be using to read novels required for school or books i'm interested in reading but too nervous to buy in hardcover (I like hardcover books more).

I was hoping to have a device that I could read some articles on, as we often have to read articles for school and I'll either have to read them on my screen until my eyes hurt or I feel sick, or print them out and waste 25 pages of paper and ink.

You can still read them, right? I don't really care about them looking perfect, just readable since it would be a one time read for school.

I'm thinking I'm going to get a Cybook. I'm so excited I can hardly sleep
Old 05-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #15
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
For PDF files, I would recommend using Mobipocket Creator to convert them to Mobipocket files. This creates very readable eBooks for most PDF files. If the PDF has more than 1 column or tables then the result is less good. If your PDF files are primarily text with a few pictures this conversion should work well for you.

You can open a PDF file on the Cybook without converting it but the fonts will be very small as most are created with a letter size page in mind. The Cybook has a good 'zoom' feature which makes the PDF readable but you may have to scroll sideways as well as have multiple screen 'pages' per PDF page. There are tools available which can crop the blank margins and give you a smaller page size which fits better on the small screen but I have not been motivated to try them out.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybook, iliad, kindle, sony reader