Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Actual book selection...

I continue on my selection process and have narrowed my choices down to the Sony PRS-505 and the Kindle 2. I am heavily leaning towards the Sony due to its local availability, price and size. My big question is on actual content. I see that most of the classics that I would want to read I could get for either device.

My normal reading tends to be current fiction in the Thriller/Mystery genre. I also like SF but more in the Odd Thomas type book. I know that Amazon has the clout in shear numbers but aren't most current main stream titles available for either format?

Thanks,
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I believe most main stream titles are available that can be read on the Sony and Kindle. The main difference will probably be the price you pay depending on where you will buy most of your books.

Since you live in New York, definitely look into getting a NYPL card. My understanding is it is free to all New York residents and they have a very large selection of books. Sony will read pdfs and Kindle will read mobipocket (with a slight adjustment).
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the NYPL ever goes for ePub, then you would be best off with a 505 or 700. I suggest you ask the NYPL if they plan on getting ePub as that would be with a Sony.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I believe most main stream titles are available that can be read on the Sony and Kindle. The main difference will probably be the price you pay depending on where you will buy most of your books.

Since you live in New York, definitely look into getting a NYPL card. My understanding is it is free to all New York residents and they have a very large selection of books. Sony will read pdfs and Kindle will read mobipocket (with a slight adjustment).
The NYPL card is free for residents. You can sign up online then it takes
a few weeks to arrive by mail. Once card is in hand, you can check out books.

So far, NYPL seems to be only library where you can join online and do NOT have to go to library with ID to activate card.

I've been looking at so many libraries as a non-resident.. but they always end up with the last step of going in person. sigh.

I love the NYPL. Have a nice wishlist on there.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
The NYPL card is free for residents. You can sign up online then it takes
a few weeks to arrive by mail. Once card is in hand, you can check out books.

So far, NYPL seems to be only library where you can join online and do NOT have to go to library with ID to activate card.

I've been looking at so many libraries as a non-resident.. but they always end up with the last step of going in person. sigh.

I love the NYPL. Have a nice wishlist on there.
Gabrielle,
When you use the NYPL for your Sony do you get the Mobi files and convert or do you use the Adobe files? How do they look on the Sony? Is any reformatting needed or do they look good straight away?
Thanks,
RA

Last edited by radamo; 03-25-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
AbFabGab,
When you use the NYPL for your Sony do you get the Mobi files and convert or do you use the Adobe files? How do they look on the Sony? Is any reformatting needed or do they look good straight away?
Thanks,
RA
I use the Adobe files.
Some look better than others.
I don't bother with reformatting.
I'm still new with my 505 (early Feb)
so I haven't fooled around doing anything
"extra"..
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
radamo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
I use the Adobe files.
Some look better than others.
I don't bother with reformatting.
I'm still new with my 505 (early Feb)
so I haven't fooled around doing anything
"extra"..
Thanks for the quick reply....
RA