Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
roytravis
Enthusiast
roytravis is on a distinguished road

Device: hanlin
PID changed

I can only assume that this is associated with the firmware updates ,I have downloaded two in recent days. I have found that the PID on my Hanlin has changed. As a result previously loaded books would not open.
I have fixed the problem by entering the new PID on the download sites.
roytravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:55 AM   #2
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by roytravis View Post
I can only assume that this is associated with the firmware updates ,I have downloaded two in recent days. I have found that the PID on my Hanlin has changed. As a result previously loaded books would not open.
I have fixed the problem by entering the new PID on the download sites.
An update should not usually reset the PID.. I updated my Bebook with the Hanlin update and it has indeed reset the PID.

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
That's quite a surprise to me, as I always assumed that the PID was calculated from some kind of device parameter.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
That's quite a surprise to me, as I always assumed that the PID was calculated from some kind of device parameter.
Unless it is hidden somewhere else, it appears that the PID is in a file named "deviceID" with no extension so it will not show up on the reader itself. When I look at it with a text editor it just has my PID in it, and nothing else. So far, I have been too cowardly to change it to see what happens.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Unless it is hidden somewhere else, it appears that the PID is in a file named "deviceID" with no extension so it will not show up on the reader itself. When I look at it with a text editor it just has my PID in it, and nothing else. So far, I have been too cowardly to change it to see what happens.
I tried changing it and even deleting it, but with no effect. (the file was just rewritten with the actual PID)
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
I tried changing it and even deleting it, but with no effect. (the file was just rewritten with the actual PID)
Thank you!!!!

I was wondering if it was really that easy, and now I know that it is not.

Thanks again!
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
The safest thing might be to use "mobidedrm" to remove the DRM using the original PID. That way it won't matter if the reader's PID is changed.

That said, I would consider an update changing the PID to be a bug and it should be reported as such to Jinke. I've updated the firmware on my Cybook with no change in the PID.

Last edited by slayda; 01-22-2009 at 10:55 AM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
The safest thing might be to use "mobidedrm" to remove the DRM using the original PID. That way it won't matter if the reader's PID is changed.

That said, I would consider an update changing the PID to be a bug and it should be reported as such to Jinke. I've updated the firmware on my Cybook with no change in the PID.
I have done several updates to my bebook (and 2 others that I maintain) without a change to the PID. I had wondered if the change had been caused by using the Hanlin update as opposed to waiting for BeBook to release their update.

I wil be using MobiDRM to go through all of my secure Mobi to free them of DRM.

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
Jakodai
Jakodai began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
I have only had my Reader for about a week now, but in that time I've now done 3 firmware updates. Out of the 3 updates, this was the only one that has changed my PID...

It doesn't bother me too much because I was able to change the PID at BOB (the only place I have purchased eBooks so far), re-download and read them. However, I did get a notice when I changed the PID on the PX Device Controls stating that there was a limited number of changes allowed... Hopefully Jinke don't make a habit of changing PID numbers regularly, otherwise we might run into problems...
Jakodai is offline   Reply With Quote