Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #346
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondog View Post
hi , please somebody tell me what are the steps to downgrade my kobo glo, because i reset my kobo and put the 2.4.0 , and when i turn on my kobo this ask me all the time to connect to wifi or pc and then install the latest firmware wich i dont want
Connect to the PC, go through the upgrade, registration, etc. After it's all done, don't eject your Glo. Close the Kobo desktop application, locate the drive for your Glo's internal storage, open the .kobo directory and delete the KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum and the upgrade directory found in it. Then eject your Glo.

After this just avoid upgrading -- no WiFi, delete the files again next time you connect to your PC, etc. There was a hack editing a file that kept a Kobo from upgrading but that does not work anymore. Also a mention of setting the firmware version in the sqlite database to prevent upgrading. I'm not sure if that still works either. It might be worth searching this forum for that information.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #347
demondog
Enthusiast
demondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Connect to the PC, go through the upgrade, registration, etc. After it's all done, don't eject your Glo. Close the Kobo desktop application, locate the drive for your Glo's internal storage, open the .kobo directory and delete the KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum and the upgrade directory found in it. Then eject your Glo.

After this just avoid upgrading -- no WiFi, delete the files again next time you connect to your PC, etc. There was a hack editing a file that kept a Kobo from upgrading but that does not work anymore. Also a mention of setting the firmware version in the sqlite database to prevent upgrading. I'm not sure if that still works either. It might be worth searching this forum for that information.

Regards,
David
Thankyou David , im using a translator because my english isnt good enoguht but so your telling me that, this downgrade of kobo glo there was a hack that kept kobo from updating but not works anymore and setting the firmware to prevent upgrade , but so i can put the 2.4.0 with that steps that you told me? , the problem is if i understand , that if i conect the glo to wifi this auto upgrade, but so if i dont conect wifi there was no problem? is that right? ;D thank you , and also anybody know if there was a link in this forum about this ? thx
demondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #348
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demondog View Post
Thankyou David , im using a translator because my english isnt good enoguht but so your telling me that, this downgrade of kobo glo there was a hack that kept kobo from updating but not works anymore and setting the firmware to prevent upgrade , but so i can put the 2.4.0 with that steps that you told me? , the problem is if i understand , that if i conect the glo to wifi this auto upgrade, but so if i dont conect wifi there was no problem? is that right? ;D thank you , and also anybody know if there was a link in this forum about this ? thx
You can put 2.4.0 on with the steps I supplied. If you don't connect wifi, it will not upgrade over wifi. If you use the desktop application, you will have to go through deleting the upgrade files each time.

There is a link in the first message of this forum with the various firmware links. Make sure you download the correct version for the Glo -- the link will have kobo4 as part of it.

I would have to say that your English is much better than my use of any language other than English.

Regards,
David
Old 05-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #349
z000ao8q
Connoisseur
z000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toys

Device: kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by z000ao8q View Post
just downgraded to 2.1.4.
unfortunately this is also on Kernel 2.6.35.3-850 and does not solve my problem.
... I just want to confirm that 1.9.17 is not working on the mini.
it tries to restart. but after some seconds of permanent green LED it goes off again and nothing happening...
z000ao8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #350
demondog
Enthusiast
demondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
You can put 2.4.0 on with the steps I supplied. If you don't connect wifi, it will not upgrade over wifi. If you use the desktop application, you will have to go through deleting the upgrade files each time.

There is a link in the first message of this forum with the various firmware links. Make sure you download the correct version for the Glo -- the link will have kobo4 as part of it.

I would have to say that your English is much better than my use of any language other than English.

Regards,
David
thanks David now im using 2.4.0
demondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #351
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Firmware 2.6.1

Has anyone managed to save a copy of this firmware for the glo so it can be shared?

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #352
vernel1008
vernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Glo
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post

Please also be aware that SameerH, the Kobo product manager, made a veiled threat in a post after the 2.4 came out that there may be additional problems with sideloading firmware in the future.

THEN THE KOBO TEAM SHOULD CREATE A MORE STABLE AND CENTRALIZED WAY OF GIVING OUT UPDATES!

Background:
My Kobo Glo is stucked with the 2.4.0 update since February.
So I'm wondering why it doesn't update until yesterday even though I sync it both thru Wi-Fi and Kobo Desktop.

Last 05/30/2013 03:49 PM, I asked the customer service team on how can I update it. By 06/04/2013 02:50 PM, instructed was been made and as follows:
1. Ensure your device is completely powered off.
2. Press the light button at the left of the power button.
3. While holding the light button, slide the power button until the power light starts flashing and you see "restoring" on your Kobo Glo screen
4. Connect your device to your computer when prompted
5. Set it up using Kobo Desktop.

Does your device update? If not, please let me know and I will send the steps to sideload the update. For this, we require some additional information:
- What kind of computer do you have and what operating system does it run? (if you know the version and any applied service packs that would be helpful)
- If it’s Windows, is it a 32bit or 64bit system?
- If it's a MAC is it Intel Based or a Power PC?

I did instructions 1 to 5.
But before that, I make sure that the Kobo Desktop is synced with my Kobo Glo (as a backup) and I did recopy the memory of the Glo to my PC (for last resort because I don't trust the way Kobo Team does the update)

On a very very very unfortunate event, the Kobo Glo was wiped (I expected this since it's restoring). Then suddenly the Kobo Desktop automatically synced with the device. A Rakuten prompt asked to input my Email and Password so I did. Then, everything is gone.

To Mr. SameerH, the Kobo product manager
If you want to treat regarding sideloading, then make sure your team can create a centralized update. Also, make sure that your database is write protected. If an email is used for a particular device, it should be restricted for that device or the data contained on that email should never be tampered. Although you have a sync feature for Kobo, but due to this incident, it is a pretty stupid feature you put right there.

Sincerely in a bad mood,
Vernel
vernel1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #353
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Has anyone managed to save a copy of this firmware for the glo so it can be shared?

regards

Jack
The normal tactic is to sync your ereader using the Kobo Desktop on a computer where you can use Wireshark or similar utility to capture the URL the firmware is being downloaded from. My Glo updated over wireless at work so no chance to capture such information. So far my Aura has shown no signs of wanting to update so if nobody else has posted the URL in the next couple of days, I'm going to revert my Glo to an earlier firmware and then capture the URL when it re-updates.

Regards,
David
Old 06-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #354
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The normal tactic is to sync your ereader using the Kobo Desktop on a computer where you can use Wireshark or similar utility to capture the URL the firmware is being downloaded from. My Glo updated over wireless at work so no chance to capture such information. So far my Aura has shown no signs of wanting to update so if nobody else has posted the URL in the next couple of days, I'm going to revert my Glo to an earlier firmware and then capture the URL when it re-updates.

Regards,
David
Yup been waiting for that here as well. No desktop or wireless update yet
Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #355
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernel1008 View Post
THEN THE KOBO TEAM SHOULD CREATE A MORE STABLE AND CENTRALIZED WAY OF GIVING OUT UPDATES!

Background:
My Kobo Glo is stucked with the 2.4.0 update since February.
So I'm wondering why it doesn't update until yesterday even though I sync it both thru Wi-Fi and Kobo Desktop.

Last 05/30/2013 03:49 PM, I asked the customer service team on how can I update it. By 06/04/2013 02:50 PM, instructed was been made and as follows:
1. Ensure your device is completely powered off.
2. Press the light button at the left of the power button.
3. While holding the light button, slide the power button until the power light starts flashing and you see "restoring" on your Kobo Glo screen
4. Connect your device to your computer when prompted
5. Set it up using Kobo Desktop.

Does your device update? If not, please let me know and I will send the steps to sideload the update. For this, we require some additional information:
- What kind of computer do you have and what operating system does it run? (if you know the version and any applied service packs that would be helpful)
- If it’s Windows, is it a 32bit or 64bit system?
- If it's a MAC is it Intel Based or a Power PC?

I did instructions 1 to 5.
But before that, I make sure that the Kobo Desktop is synced with my Kobo Glo (as a backup) and I did recopy the memory of the Glo to my PC (for last resort because I don't trust the way Kobo Team does the update)

On a very very very unfortunate event, the Kobo Glo was wiped (I expected this since it's restoring). Then suddenly the Kobo Desktop automatically synced with the device. A Rakuten prompt asked to input my Email and Password so I did. Then, everything is gone.

To Mr. SameerH, the Kobo product manager
If you want to treat regarding sideloading, then make sure your team can create a centralized update. Also, make sure that your database is write protected. If an email is used for a particular device, it should be restricted for that device or the data contained on that email should never be tampered. Although you have a sync feature for Kobo, but due to this incident, it is a pretty stupid feature you put right there.

Sincerely in a bad mood,
Vernel
The wiping of the device on a restore is pretty much normal for any device. As it says in the Settings => Device Information, "Reset Device" and "FACTORY RESET". Since the Kobo account information is now missing (see Setting => Account after finishing the restore), when you connect to the desktop app, it must ask for the username (email address) and password used for your Kobo account. This lets Kobo's servers know which books you have purchased from Kobo and which shelves you added on the Glo that will need to be restored. Since the Glo comes from the factory with no account information, this should be an expected side effect of the factory reset process. You will also find that you will either need to copy the authorization.xml file back to the .adobe-digital-editions folder or use ADE to re-authorize your device to allow reading Adobe ADEPT DRMed ebooks. You will also need to restore any sideloaded fonts in the fonts directory.

Sideloaded books will not be restored. As has been discussed to death in this forum, Kobo does not back up your sideloaded books so it makes no sense to expect them to be automatically restored. The only place I've notice any information about sideloaded ebooks being stored by Kobo is in the reading stats where they are included in the number of books and number of hours read.

So now the real question is if your Kobo updated its firmware after the factory reset and sync using the desktop application? Since you stated that you backed up your Glo before the factory reset, you should have all your sideloaded books in that backup so restoring them should not be that big a problem. Great Ghu knows I've done it often enough to now keep all my ebooks on an uSD card that I can remove while experimenting to prevent any need to recopy a few thousand books.

If, as seems likely, you are not setting your ereader to English, use the equivalents for Settings, Account, Device Information, etc. as appropriate to the interface language.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 06-07-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Added interface language comment
Old 06-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #356
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Yup been waiting for that here as well. No desktop or wireless update yet
Near as I can tell:

Old Touch: http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.6.1.zip

Aura, Glo, Mini, New Touch: http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.6.1.zip

Regards,
David
Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #357
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Near as I can tell:
Works. Thank-you.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #358
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Near as I can tell:

Aura, Glo, Mini, New Touch: http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.6.1.zip

Regards,
David
Thank you David.

regards

Jack
Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #359
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Near as I can tell:

Regards,
David
Old Touch N905 / N905B

New Touch N905C
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #360
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I've been poking around the new firmware. There are some interesting changes, some of which hint at things to come. (I'm not going into details though since it's probably proprietary information ... but if you look, like I looked, you shall find out too. )

One important thing though, /etc/inetd.conf is included in the bundle and will likely overwrite any modifications that you have made. The standard modifications to inetd.conf will work as before.