Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Kobo Reading Life

I'm considering a Glo but have no interest in using any of these social media tools. Is Reading Life going to get in the way?
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can opt out of reading life entirely through "Reading Life" in settings. I have it enabled, but I do not hook into Facebook (that is under "Account", btw). I like looking at the stats part of Reading Life, could care less about the awards.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Nice to know. Starting to think about a Kobo Glo, but definitely NOT interested in any social media stuff!

I just like the idea of a high res screen.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
beckybug3
Enthusiast
beckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Touch, a dead Kobo Aura HD, and a dead Kobo Wifi
I did not think I would care about the awards or the reading life, but I'm addicted. I enjoy seeing my average read times and the times I'm most likely to be reading.

As Taming said, you do not have to have the notifications activated. Or access the review options.
beckybug3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still a bit up in the air. I'm using the iPad app and I'm not crazy about the way it displays pages in chapter instead of the entire book. I also don't like that every time it rolls to a new chapter it goes through this 'loading' process.

These are minor things, but I'm a details person.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
I'm still a bit up in the air. I'm using the iPad app and I'm not crazy about the way it displays pages in chapter instead of the entire book. I also don't like that every time it rolls to a new chapter it goes through this 'loading' process.

Yes. I really really really dislike the page numbers per chapter too. Drives me crazy. Currently reading a book, and I know I'm 35% done, but I have NO idea how long the other 65% will last as I've no idea how many book pages the book has. Sigh.

Luckily, the page numbers are only displayed by chapter for the kepubs. Any sideloaded epubs will just normally show pages per total book pages, and there won't be any annoying loading of each chapter (I don't like that either). Books you do buy from Kobo, you can download the DRM epub as well, and then sideload the book to read instead of reading the kepub: problem 'solved.'

I do wish Kobo would make the numbers per chapter thing optional though. Or at least display the total page numbers somewhere... Or have it be a choice to either have numbers per chapter or per total.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post

I'm OK with the numbering scheme. On the Touch, there isn't a reload pause when you change chapters like there is on the Android App. I assume that is the same on the iOS.

I don't know if the Amazon App for Android is anything like the experience reading on a Kindle, but I find their numbering much more difficult to figure out. At least with the Kobo devices, you can look at the stats in reading life and see your page turns for your current book and how that translates into the %. So, for example, in the book I am currently reading I can see that I have made 608 page turns and I am 95% of the way through the book. Knowing that I have read for 6 hours tells me I probably won't be reading it for very much longer .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
david_e
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I'm OK with the numbering scheme. On the Touch, there isn't a reload pause when you change chapters like there is on the Android App. I assume that is the same on the iOS.

I don't know if the Amazon App for Android is anything like the experience reading on a Kindle, but I find their numbering much more difficult to figure out. At least with the Kobo devices, you can look at the stats in reading life and see your page turns for your current book and how that translates into the %. So, for example, in the book I am currently reading I can see that I have made 608 page turns and I am 95% of the way through the book. Knowing that I have read for 6 hours tells me I probably won't be reading it for very much longer .
Glad to hear about the lack of the 'loading' annoyance when using an actual Kobo device.

I, too, dislike the Kindle percentage instead of pages method. I usually have no idea how long I've been reading and those percentages are a complete waste to me. I only use it as an absolute last resort, if the book I want is not available anywhere else but amazon.