Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
syber
syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch menus

Hello all. Today I took the plunge and bought a 2012 Kobo Touch, and already I think I ran into trouble.
I cannot seem to locate the settings menu. I thought something might be wrong so I did a reset with the pinhole in the back, then ended up doing a factory reset by holding the home button and turning on the kobo.
It's updated with latest firmware, and everything seems to work great..except I cannot find the settings menu.
I tried the Kobo site and the video for accessing the menu, but its not even the same screen layout or look as the one I got today. To further confuse me, above the video on the kobo site it says the are in the process of updating the videos so mine may not look like the one they are showing.
Please help.
syber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
On the latest firmware the settings menu can be accessed by touching the gear icon in the upper left corner of the screen. Once you touch it you see the date, a button to sync, and the settings button. Hope this helps.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The latest released firmware moved the settings. In the top left corner of the Home screen, there should be a little gear icon. Press that and a window opens. This has a button to open the settings.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
syber
syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.syber is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

All thats in the top left is a magnifying glass for search.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syber View Post
All thats in the top left is a magnifying glass for search.
Do you know what firmware you installed? And how?

Also, what icons are shown across the top?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
syber

To be honest I assumed it updated to latest as I had to plug into the pc and it ran an update before I could use it
top left is magnifying glass
top right is a symbol that looks like this llll but on its side
next to it is the battery symbol.
that's it
Old 09-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
To be honest I assumed it updated to latest as I had to plug into the pc and it ran an update before I could use it
top left is magnifying glass
top right is a symbol that looks like this llll but on its side
next to it is the battery symbol.
that's it
The three horizontal lines are the replacement for the gear icon. When you get into the settings, can you check the firmware version and date listed against it.

Also, that is the way to do it. It is just that the latest release that is around had the gear icon in the top left. There was a later release for the Japanese market, that might have had the menu icon instead of the gear icon.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-10-2012 at 11:14 PM. Reason: a little more explanation
Old 09-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
syber

its not "touchable"
Is there a way to reset and not connect to pc to get it running?

hold on, my hands are really dry..it just worked
Old 09-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
syber

ok software version 2.1.1
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
ok software version 2.1.1
Are you in Japan or using a Touch sourced in Japan?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #11
syber

no, In Canada bought at Canadian retailer
Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #12
syber

just an update
the touchable portion is slightly off to the right of the icon, almost in the corner...possibly because of my dry fingers. I can get it to work everytime now.
thanks for the help davidfor
Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 AM   #13
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
just an update
the touchable portion is slightly off to the right of the icon, almost in the corner...possibly because of my dry fingers. I can get it to work everytime now.
thanks for the help davidfor
Hi, syber. Glad you got it sorted. I have the same problem with a slight inaccuracy on the icons - nothing to do with dry fingers (infra-red detection, not resistive).
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #14
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I find I have to have a few jabs at the Settings icon to get it to work. All the others are fine. (Sorry, not really adding to this conversation, just felt I had to say that. )
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
syber

Peakcrew, "not resistive". It's dumb I know, but I knew that from all the research I did before buying... In my despair I was clutching at straws to try and make sense as to why It wasn't initially "touchable"

no worries Katel, I appreciate everyone's input. I'm glad it's not broken, first day out of the package.