Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #16
me too
Connoisseur
me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
sir

sir you please provide me with the url of the site you had suggested in the same thread.Whether the samples specified in the url meant to buy.
me too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Not necessarily. Since ADE supports .swf files, you can use Flash videos in epubs, if you provide a fallback definition.
This does not work in ADE 1.8.3. It does work in ADE 1.7.2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #18
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerys View Post
A true epub3 file should follow the epub3 specs of IDPF (i.e. folder structure, navigation, opf, html5/css3 declarations, etc.).
Does it mean the structure and basic setup files have changed? Even though my stories are just text + pictures, I plan to follow the latest specifications, ie ePub3.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I believe SWF has be destandardized for mobile devices.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
Does it mean the structure and basic setup files have changed? Even though my stories are just text + pictures, I plan to follow the latest specifications, ie ePub3.
Since it sounds like your eBooks won't be needing any of the features that ePub 3 has that ePub does not, you'd be crazy to go ePub 3 instead of ePub. You would be limiting comparability tremendously as all stand alone readers are ePub and most apps are ePub. There really isn't ePub 3 yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #21
me too
Connoisseur
me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post

There are no real editors for ePUB3 as of yet, so it is all manual work.
iam asking for the manual work that is required for an epub3.
as a first step, can any one help me by sharing the exact folder stucture
Old 07-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #22
me too
Connoisseur

Quote:
Since all ePUB3 readers can read ePUB2 there is no reason to 'upgrade'. All the changes with regards to supported CSS and HTML5 are in the specs on the IDPF site.
Please read those and look at the site of Liz Castro. She has some example ePUB's in ePUB3 format.
i am asking for the url that leads to liz castro's site
Old 07-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #23
Aerys
Connoisseur
Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.

Device: iPad 2 & Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by me too View Post
AFAIK, no one has made an easy manual to understand for epub3. Information on everything about epub 3 is in http://idpf.org/epub/30 link to epub3 specs by IDPF. There are also sample epub3 there.

Quote:
http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/ Liz Castro's blog.
Aerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #24
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You would be limiting comparability tremendously as all stand alone readers are ePub and most apps are ePub. There really isn't ePub 3 yet.
I'm still in the learning stage on how to produce ebooks. I need to learn the structure, setup files, etc. and then write a program to convert my HTML-based stories automatically to ebooks. I thought by the time I start producing ebooks, ePub3 will be more widely accepted. That's why I want to start from the latest specifications. However, it appears from what you said that ePub3 won't be widely available for quite a while.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #25
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
I'm still in the learning stage on how to produce ebooks. I need to learn the structure, setup files, etc. and then write a program to convert my HTML-based stories automatically to ebooks. I thought by the time I start producing ebooks, ePub3 will be more widely accepted. That's why I want to start from the latest specifications. However, it appears from what you said that ePub3 won't be widely available for quite a while.
I don't expect too, only for niche products. To be honest, ePUB3 has some benefits for certain types of books like academical books, cookbooks and children's books.
For the majority of books it will not bring an improvement. Since all ePUB3 readers are required to also support ePUB2, there are no objections in using ePUB2 when possible.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #26
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Like I said before, read the specifications on the site of the IDPF or on the wiki pages of this site.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #27
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Ever heard of Google??? I entered the search terms 'Liz Castro epub3' and the first hit is her blog. There are examples there.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:07 AM   #28
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Ever heard of Google??? I entered the search terms 'Liz Castro epub3' and the first hit is her blog. There are examples there.
I think that's a bit rough, Jon. He's obviously a beginner out of his depth, and his command of English is not good.

I can remember how easy it was to become discouraged when I was first beginning and was struggling, and that I found supportive comments more helpful than put downs.

In any event I have searched the pigsgourdsandwikis site, and was unable to find downloadable examples of ePubs with audio and video. They are available in the mini-guide.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #29
Toxaris
Wizard

In all fairness, AlexBell, I am not Jon. I know JSWolf can have strong opinions, but this is not coming from him.

I know he is a beginner, but he excels in short messages with a very low level of information. The first action anybody should undertake when they have a question or problem, is to look for a solution before asking it. It will either provide you with the answer or help you formulate the question better. Just asking has no value and no learning potential.
If you are beginning in ePUB, the first thing you need to do is read up about the format. On of the first stops would be the IDPF. You need to learn how to walk before you start running...

Back to topic, Liz has various links in her blog posts to ePUB3 examples. They contain various examples, including audio/video.
On the other hand, even searching on this forum will give examples. Not a lot, but they are there.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #30
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, again Toxaris, and I apologise to you and JSWolf for mistaking the poster.

I think we may have to agree to disagree, not so much about the quality of me too's posts but about how to get him to do better. For what it is worth I think it would have been more effective to respond by something like 'Perhaps you could google her; I found her at ....'
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote