Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #46
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Speed up browsing using the Stock Browser. While using the Browser, press Menu, Settings, and under Advanced Settings select Desktop or mobile view and then Optimize for Mobile View.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-17-2011 at 07:41 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #47
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Speed up browsing using the Stock Browser. While using the Browser, press Menu, Settings, and under Advanced Settings select Optimize for Mobile View.
The Mobile: Optimize for Mobile View option is located in Menu --> Settings --> Desktop or Mobile View.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #48
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The Mobile: Optimize for Mobile View option is located in Menu --> Settings --> Desktop or Mobile View.
Why yes it is. However, this setting can also be changed by pressing the Menu Icon while using the browser and proceeding as I describe. One thing you learn quickly about Android is that the Menu Icon provides Options and Settings for many Apps. I recommend whenever anyone has an App open that they press the Menu Icon before the Home Icon and see what is available. The Menu Options will vary depending on the App.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-17-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #49
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Why yes it is. However, this setting can also be changed by pressing the Menu Icon while using the browser and proceeding as I describe. One thing you learn quickly about Android is that the Menu Icon adds functionality for many Apps. I recommend whenever you have any App open you press the Menu Icon and see what is available.
No need to get grouchy, I was merely clarifying the correct menu items since a lot of Fire owners seem to be new to Android. I'm a retired tech writer and I tend to be literal when pointing out menu/option item labels otherwise people get more confused than they already are. BTW, you still have it wrong as the actual menu label is Desktop or mobile view whereas Optimize for Mobile View is one of three options found after selecting Desktop or mobile view.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #50
obsessed2
Wizard

QUOTE=jswinden;1837122] BTW, you still have it wrong as the actual menu label is Desktop or mobile view whereas Optimize for Mobile View is one of three options found after selecting Desktop or mobile view.[/QUOTE]

I'll be more clear next time.

PS: I'm not being grouchy, honest.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-17-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #51
craig8128
craig8128 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.craig8128 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.craig8128 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.craig8128 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiebegood View Post
I did this just yesterday! Plug the Kindle Fire into the computer via the USB cable. Find the video you want to load (I was moving .mp4 files, so I don't know what other ones it will support). Pull the video into the Pictures folder on the Fire, NOT the Video folder. When you're done, disconnect and open the Gallery icon. Your videos should be there.
Aaaa-HA! That explains it. I was foolishly drag/dropping my videos into the Video folder, d'oh!

(thanks for the tip, janie!)

FWIW, I loaded a DLNA streamer app called Spitka and I was able to stream .mp4 and .m4v format files on the Kindle Fire. I need to do more experimenting to see what else is supported. I'll post back here when I get some results.

Craig
craig8128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #52
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
You can watch .avi's by downloading ASTRO file manager and clicking on the avi file. I've been watching like this. It's HD-beautiful! ** Correction: I watch in VLC MediaPlayer, after I click in ASTRO. Sorry, I wasn't precise enough. But this does play .avi

QUOTE=dukefingaz;1836191]does anyone know how to load your own videos and what format it needs to be in for the kindle fire[/QUOTE]

Last edited by friktion; 11-17-2011 at 06:53 PM.
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #53
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
You can watch .avi's by downloading ASTRO file manager and clicking on the avi file. I've been watching like this. It's HD-beautiful!

QUOTE=dukefingaz;1836191]does anyone know how to load your own videos and what format it needs to be in for the kindle fire
Oh it does do AVI? That's great! I have a few documentaries I like to watch on it if I can find them.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #54
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Thanks for that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
How to Copy and Paste on the Fire

To copy touch and hold on a word until a dialog box appears then choose the appropriate option such as Select or Select All. The word(s) are then highlighted, so now you can drag the sides of the highlighting to ensure you select all the words you want highlighted. Now touch and hold on the highlighted text until a dialog box appears and choose Copy.

To paste touch and hold where you want to paste the text until a dialog box appears and choose Paste.

This is pretty standard with touchscreen interfaces like iOS and Android. It probably works a bit more smoothly in iOS, but it works okay in Android too.
That works for setting highlights and inserting notes as well. I wasn't aware of that technique.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #55
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Delete a bookmark?

Quote:
Why yes it is. However, this setting can also be changed by pressing the Menu Icon while using the browser and proceeding as I describe. One thing you learn quickly about Android is that the Menu Icon provides Options and Settings for many Apps. I recommend whenever anyone has an App open that they press the Menu Icon before the Home Icon and see what is available. The Menu Options will vary depending on the App.
I tried that but do not see an option to delete a bookmark. How is that done?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #56
tedwards70
tedwards70 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I'm finding the carousel view to be distracting. Thanks for all the tips you have provided. I have lots of books and would like them to show up in the "book" tab...some work some don't.
tedwards70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #57
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I tried that but do not see an option to delete a bookmark. How is that done?
sirmaru, I am curious to know that as well!
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #58
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiebegood View Post
sirmaru, I am curious to know that as well!
With the Stock Browser open, touch the bottom of the screen to bring up the Options Bar if it is not visible. Touch the last Icon on the far right of the Options bar. This will open your Bookmarks. LONG press (press and hold) the Bookmark you want to delete. You should receive a pop-up menu which will allow you to delete the bookmark as well as some other choices.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-17-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #59
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
How to Side Load Files (Apps, Documents etc.) using Wireless LAN

You can transfer Apps, Movies, Music, Photos, and Documents from Shared folders on your PC to the Kindle Fire using your Wireless LAN, without using a USB cable. Here's how:

1) Enable Network Discovery, File Sharing, and Media Sharing on your PC (Windows Vista / 7: Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center. Once this is done, create a Shared Folder on your PC using Windows Explorer (e.g. Fire Apps). To share the Folder right click the created Folder and select Share. You can choose to share this with Everyone or just select users.

16) This procedure is really much easier than it sounds. Plus you eliminate having to use the USB cable every time you want to transfer a document or side load an App.
It works!!!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #60
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It works!!!
Glad to hear it worked for you. I tried to be as specific as possible, but if there is something I missed or is confusing let me know and I'll correct the post. I never use a USB cable to transfer files to my Android tablets. Transferring files by wireless is much easier, especially if you do it enough times.