Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
OpenOffice 3 and SmashWords

Anyone generated their ebook with OpenOffice version 3 and successfully published a book at SmashWords?

I don't have Windows, only Linux and OpenOffice is what I normally use, but Smashword says the uploaded ebook needs to be in DOC file format.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
Brad Chambers
Enthusiast
Brad Chambers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brad Chambers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brad Chambers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brad Chambers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brad Chambers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brad Chambers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brad Chambers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brad Chambers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brad Chambers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brad Chambers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brad Chambers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I use OpenOffice 3 for my books. Just save it as a microsoft word 2000 .doc file. It works fine for me.
Brad Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
In my more cynical moments, I think the owner of Smashwords is getting kickbacks from Microsoft to require their format for ebooks, instead of genuinely open formats like epub or even html. But Brad is quite right: OO can do a fairly good doc, and that will work. Though reminding Smashwords that doc isn't a file interchange format, and people aren't always as eager as they are to support poor, starving little Microsoft, isn't a bad thing either.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
I use OpenOffice 3 to convert my manuscripts for Smashwords, never had an issue. I just save them as .doc files for Word 97, then dump them into the Meatgrinder for my eBook files. At least OO is workable, unlike the hotmess that is MS Word 2007 upwards.
Arigato,
Nick Davis
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
Ok, good to know.

Thanks guys!
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex
mmessina has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
Sorry to dredge up an older topic here but I'm thoroughly flustered with trying to make my manuscript work on smashwords. I'm being nailed for having tabs but can't figure out any way to easily remove the tabs from my document via openoffice. Any suggestions?
mmessina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmessina View Post
Sorry to dredge up an older topic here but I'm thoroughly flustered with trying to make my manuscript work on smashwords. I'm being nailed for having tabs but can't figure out any way to easily remove the tabs from my document via openoffice. Any suggestions?
I don't have OpenOffice installed on this laptop, but, if my memory serves me right, the search function is very similar to that of MS. So this is what you would do in Word (hopefully, it'll help you with your problem).

Open Find or Replace (ctrl + F or ctrl + H), select the tab that says More>>>. At the bottom there are a couple tabs that say Format and Special. Select Special and you'll see Tab Character in the drop-down menu. Simply select it and you'll be able to find or replace all the tabs in your document.

Hope this helps.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
OpenOffice has an advanced search function that you can download as a plugin, this allows you to easily replace commands like tab or line breaks. I think its called Advanced search.
Arigato,
Nick Davis
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex
mmessina has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
I'll check that out and pray it works, thanks for the assist
mmessina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
maybe this is the regular expression you're looking for:

Find: \t
Replace: (nothing, no space)

It's what I use to remove tabs.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I wish I could use Open Office for everything, but given the bare bones that Smashwords wants in terms of formatting, Word does okay. I have Word 2000, and it works fine. I used OO to format a paperback version for CreateSpace and it was terrific. Of course there the end product is a pdf, which you can do seamlessly in OO. I have come to really like Nitro as a pdf reader.
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote