Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
No one under 30 would buy an ebook reader

Quote:
My daughter came in from San Francisco for Thanksgiving and I showed her my Sony reader and asked her opinion of the Kindle.

Background info: Erin is 27, an English major with a Masters in Journalism from Medil. She works for Wired Magazine and is about as tech-savvy as a person can get. With this background her opinion really surprised me.

She would never use a Sony Reader or a Kindle, or an independent ebook reader of any kind! Further, she stated, unequivocally, that no person in her age group would use one either.
from: http://www.teleread.org/blog/2007/11...-reader-et-al/

I don't think she knows what she's talking about.

I'm under 30, and I have a Kindle. I know of at least one college student who has an ebook reader. In addition, while showing off my Kindle I have encountered 5 college students that are thinking about getting en ebook reader.

What does everyone else think?

Last edited by Nate the great; 11-27-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Does his daughter provide the non-tech user perspective at wired.com ;-)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
It seems that a lot of people are looking for a single device to do everything. I guess this is why feature creep is so common in cell phones. When was the last time you heard of a cell phone making a great cup of coffee?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I'm 26 and have ordered mine yesterday. Don't know anyone with such devices, though (-30 or +30). Some of my friends read a lot but prefer the "paper's smell"; some of them are quite curious to see my Cybook when I get it; most of them say it's too expensive; most of them agree that they'd buy one if it costed 100€/$.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I bought my Son one when the Credit card deal was 58 bucks.. (After spending 250 for mine aarrgghh...) He is 17 years old... He reads it all the time and is always asking me for any 'new' books I think he would like to read. I've bought a few on Sony connect for him that I otherwise wouldn't have bought. he prefers the reader to Quote.. "Real books!"

I think once people use it for awhile and get over any prejudices they might have they usually recognize the superiority of the reader and other ebook readers... immediately.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
desidrj
desidrj began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I'm 28 and anxiously waiting for mine from my mother for christmas. Had this come out 10 years ago, I would have wanted it then too. But then, I read a few books a week, so I guess I'm a nerd
desidrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Well.. how many people, in the 30ish age group, do you know that regularly read anything beyond their email or the back of their shampoo bottle? I'm 32 and besides my wife I can name only a few. Then again, my wife though my eb1150 was "interesting" after reading a bunch of short stories on it, and hasn't shown any huge interest in my Sony Reader. Yet.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:51 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2stars View Post
Well.. how many people, in the 30ish age group, do you know that regularly read anything beyond their email or the back of their shampoo bottle? I'm 32 and besides my wife I can name only a few. Then again, my wife though my eb1150 was "interesting" after reading a bunch of short stories on it, and hasn't shown any huge interest in my Sony Reader. Yet.
That's a good point. But, to put that question in context we would first have to ask what percentage of the other age groups read? Is the percentage and absolute number of under 30 readers significantly less than the other age groups?

I don't think it is. But I really don't know.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:01 PM   #9
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
If it was stated - There are less readers under 30, so there will be less under 30 bookreader purchases.

I might agree......... (c8

PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 AM   #10
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
I think that older and elderly people have an increased proclivity towards reading; compared to those under 30. Of course I really don't have any hard evidence beyond time spent working at B&N through college, and knowing friends and family. *chuckle* Then again, somehow I can't see my great aunt using a Kindle; she's still scared of computers and I'm amazed that we got her to carry around a cell phone.

This woman might have small point though. I often wonder exactly who Sony, Amazon, and the other ereader peddlers, have decided to market their devices towards.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
My daughter is 25 and really wants one. Mine. $300 is too much for her to afford.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #12
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
My niece is 9 and she loves the iLiad and the CyBook. She allways asks me how sales are going, since i promised i will give her a CyBook, if i sell lots of eReaders.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Both of my kids (aged 13 and 16) are quite attracted to ebook readers. My younger daughter is the bigger reader of the two, and is currently using my eBw 1150. Neither of my kids like "smelly" books.

Then again, they might read on their phones if that were an option. (Our phones are too small and cheap to make that feasible.) But my younger daughter doesn't even bother to keep minutes in her phone -- I think she's only using it as a phone book, at this point.

I don't think we're exactly a typical "American" family.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #14
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
im 26, but admittedly, i wouldnt have bought my 500 w/o the sony card offer. its just not at the price point id be comfortable with yet. $300 can buy a lot of pbooks at half-price books! i still visit the $0.50 clearance rack and find all sorts of books ive been wanting to read
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #15
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
so what.
just like saying "no one under 30 gets a station wagon" .. then again you have a number of young people driving around with them.

i have never seen an eInk device in real life, but i can immagine that it is quite a neat viewing experience.
but would i buy a 400-dollar unit just for reading? i don't think i would. laptop + cellphone + bluetooth headset ... then add another device?
i think i'd prefer a smartphone with eInk screen
mores is offline   Reply With Quote