Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2022, 12:26 PM   #1
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Sage
10.2" 300DPI screen Kobo?

Any rumors if Kobo is working on an e-reader with this screen?
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:51 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Addict
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Now that the new Clara is out, it's possible Kobo is working on a new Elipsa to compete with the Kindle Scribe, but I don't think there is any indication of it yet.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2022, 06:17 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Now that the new Clara is out, it's possible Kobo is working on a new Elipsa to compete with the Kindle Scribe, but I don't think there is any indication of it yet.
I’d be surprised if they did. The Scribe is an answer to the Elipsa and remarkable
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:56 PM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I don't think Kobo needs to "compete with the Kindle Scribe" since the Scribe is clearly Amazon's attempt to catch up with Kobo in a niche it had ignored, but I do think that the Elipsa 2 will probably feature a higher dpi and other enhancements when eventually released. Heavy emphasis on "eventually"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:20 PM   #5
Aleron Ives
Addict
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What do you think the next model will be? Kobo already updated the Clara, Libra, and Forma (Sage), which means Nia and Elipsa are probably next in line...
Advert
Old 11-30-2022, 04:07 AM   #6
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What do you think the next model will be? Kobo already updated the Clara, Libra, and Forma (Sage), which means Nia and Elipsa are probably next in line...
Given the high profile marketing I see everywhere for Remarkable, I think the high end will get refreshed before the low. The Nia still feels like a pointless mistake to me, neither fish nor fowl
Old 11-30-2022, 10:26 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
The reMarkable has the most remarkable marketing. It's maybe the worst 10.3" 227 dpi eink! Only PDFs, only file browser gui (no library interface like Kindle and Kobo), only WiFi or USB network file transfer (prehistoric and limited), no onboard handwriting conversion, no storage expansion of the only 6 GByte. Arguably the original reMarkable has an easier to write on textured screen than reMarkable2 glass and useful prior-home-next buttons (none on reMarkable2).
Everyone else's 10.2" (except maybe old Sony) eink seems better.
I have Elipsa, Sage and original reMarkable with essentially same FW update as reMarkable2.
Also various Kindles, a Sony, other Kobos and I've had a Nook, iRiver and Binatones.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:28 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
The Nia is fine as budget model, better than prior Kindle Basic. My 9 yo granddaughter happy with it. Another granddaughter has a Sage because she reads much more and also filled notebooks with writing,
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:53 AM   #9
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I don't think Kobo needs to "compete with the Kindle Scribe" since the Scribe is clearly Amazon's attempt to catch up with Kobo in a niche it had ignored, but I do think that the Elipsa 2 will probably feature a higher dpi and other enhancements when eventually released. Heavy emphasis on "eventually"
I want to see something like the Aura One with a closer to 10" 300DPI screen. I don't need the note taking capability. Just a damn 10 inch e-reader with decent lighting and hopefully as lightweight as possible.

The fact that Amazon has put out something with a 10 inch 300DPI screen means that the technology to do this is available. Let's do it!
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 04:31 PM   #10
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Do E-Ink have any better screens than the Carta 1200 units shipping in the Clara 2e/Libra 2?

I'd like to see:
  • Faster refresh and less ghosting
  • Slightly bigger screens (7.8" was perfect for me)
  • Longer battery life
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:30 PM   #11
Aleron Ives
Addict

Carta 1200 is the latest model. Do you find it to have too much ghosting?
Old 11-30-2022, 11:30 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
...The Nia still feels like a pointless mistake to me, neither fish nor fowl
I don't think it was pointless. It was just a replacement for the Aura 2, their budget eReader. I think Kobo's mistake was selling it for $100 and rarely putting it on sale, while the Clara was often put on sale for as low as $90. It also matches the Tolino Page 2 and I think it was made partly for the sake of consistency between Kobo's two lines of eReaders.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:07 AM   #13
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Carta 1200 is the latest model. Do you find it to have too much ghosting?
Actually since 2021 there's a Carta 1250, with (it seems) incremental improvements over Carta 1200. I couldn't find much else about it.

Didn't some of the recent Kobo models suffer from excessive ghosting?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:37 AM   #14
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

I was interested to note a local online retailer offering the Sage at the equivalent of around $215 US, a 25% discount on its usual price here. The sale was billed "Electronics Aged Stock Clearout", and since the Sage is hardly THAT old, I wondered if the clearout might be an indicator that something newer might at least be in the pipeline.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:40 PM   #15
Aleron Ives
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Didn't some of the recent Kobo models suffer from excessive ghosting?
I set my Libra 2 to refresh every 64 pages, because there is no visible ghosting at normal reading distances. I have to put my nose right up to the screen in order to see it.