Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2022, 12:42 PM   #46
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
Any idea why this one particular book can't be successfully sent to my Kindle when it is in EPUB?
No, but maybe running epubcheck on it would provide a clue.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:21 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
I sent several EPUB books to my Kindle (via Calibre). One was delivered just fine; the other was not delivered. I received an error email from Amazon telling me that I needed to use an acceptable format (EPUB, MOBI, etc.). Again, the book was in EPUB. So I used the Modify EPUB plugin to make the UTF-8 correction (just in case) and sent the book again. Same result. Any idea why this one particular book can't be successfully sent to my Kindle when it is in EPUB?
If you are using calibre, add the epubcheck plugin to the editor, open the epub in the editor and check it with both the builtin check and epubcheck. Fix any errors and try re-sending to Amazon.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 01:33 PM   #48
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I tried converting from EPUB to EPUB and sending it to my Kindle. Got the same error.

So I tried the epubcheck but when I open the editor and click to run epubcheck, I get the following error:

calibre, version 6.9.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>FileNotFoundError</b>:[WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified

calibre 6.9 embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.19044-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19044')
Python 3.10.1
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19044', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (7, 2, 1) && Barnes & Noble (1, 4, 0) && Clean Comments (0, 2, 1) && Comments Cleaner (1, 8, 0) && Count Pages (1, 12, 0) && EpubCheck (0, 2, 4) && EpubMerge (2, 15, 0) && FanFicFare (4, 18, 0) && Fantastic Fiction (1, 6, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 10, 7) && Generate Cover (2, 3, 0) && Goodreads (1, 7, 1) && Job Spy (1, 0, 197) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 29) && Library Codes (1, 0, 53) && Manage Series (1, 5, 0) && Modify ePub (1, 8, 1) && Quality Check (1, 13, 3) && Reading List (1, 14, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.epub_check.main", line 199, in ask_user
File "calibre_plugins.epub_check.main", line 123, in get_arch
File "calibre_plugins.epub_check.main", line 114, in jarWrapper
File "subprocess.py", line 966, in __init__
File "subprocess.py", line 1435, in _execute_child
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:42 PM   #49
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
@MSWallack

Do you have Java installed? Epubcheck is supplied as .jar file which will need Java to execute it.

Make sure you use a 64 bit Java installer since the results of using a 32 bit Java executable on a 64 bit system can sometimes produce "interesting" results.

See Java Downloads for All Operating Systems on Oracle's site for the download and select the Windows Offline (64 bit) installer.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 06:23 PM   #50
hydin
Connoisseur
hydin doesn't litterhydin doesn't litter

Device: Paperwhite, Nook Glowlight 3
I'm having a weird one with epubs myself. I don't know if I missed a setting or something, but I can't send epubs over USB to my kindle in the newest calibre. I was using 5.1 and thought it might be some kinda leftover problem from using an older version, but even with the newest I still don't have an option to send epubs.

If it helps, I've got a kindle oasis.

Any idea what I'm missing? I can email the files perfectly fine, but USB transfers it just won't let me pick the epub format, and wants to convert them before sending them over.

Thanks in advance for any help!
hydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 06:27 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
duplicated suggestion
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 07:04 PM   #52
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydin View Post
I'm having a weird one with epubs myself. I don't know if I missed a setting or something, but I can't send epubs over USB to my kindle in the newest calibre. I was using 5.1 and thought it might be some kinda leftover problem from using an older version, but even with the newest I still don't have an option to send epubs.

Any idea what I'm missing? I can email the files perfectly fine, but USB transfers it just won't let me pick the epub format, and wants to convert them before sending them over.

Amazon misled you: the device (and the app) can not read epubs. An epub you email to the Kindle is converted into a format your kindle can read.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 05:50 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydin View Post

Use Calibre to convert to KF8 or KFX to send via USB to your Kindle. Kindles cannot read ePub natively. They first have to be converted to a format your Kindle can handle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:21 AM   #54
HRR
Enthusiast
HRR began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air & iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I thought this topic had been beaten to death with multiple threads about the topic. The most likely problem is that your epubs are not marked as using UTF-8. You can use calibre's Modify Epub plugin to correct this before sending the epubs to Amazon (turn off all the options except Encode HTML in UTF-8). BTW, the epub standard requires an epub to use either UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoding though I've only seen 2 epubs that used UTF-16.

One other item is that calibre's ebook-viewer is chromium based and like most web browsers tends to hide many errors. It is not a good test bed for how an epub will display on an eInk reader or most apps.
I have searched for a Modify EPUB plugin. I have looked around in Calibre. I know what you are saying. But I cannot figure out how to do it. For those of us, like me, who are not so tech savvy, would you please provide a simple step by step for how to get to Modify EPUB and mark the file as using UTF-8. That would be much appreciated.
HRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 04:37 AM   #55
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@HRR - Look here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=118764
Or do a search on the web for modify epub plugin.
When you’ve got it installed in calibre follow @DNSB’s advice above.
Hope this helps….
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 06:13 AM   #56
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Use Calibre to convert to KF8 or KFX to send via USB to your Kindle. Kindles cannot read ePub natively. They first have to be converted to a format your Kindle can handle.
Or azw3 if you don't have the Amazon program that the Calibre KFX conversion uses. Unless a DXG or older than K3 keyboard. A K3 and later except DXG can have updated firmware to add azw3 if it only does mobi / prc.
From: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote