Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #1
Itkin
Itkin began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
EPUB to DOCX with footnotes

Wrong Thread, I am sorry!

Hello, I have an epub file which I want to convert to docx. The footnotes are hyperlinks in the epub file. Is there a way to convert the file with properly converted footnotes for MS Word?
Itkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, I'm afraid not.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2020, 05:40 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itkin View Post
Wrong Thread, I am sorry!

Hello, I have an epub file which I want to convert to docx. The footnotes are hyperlinks in the epub file. Is there a way to convert the file with properly converted footnotes for MS Word?
Try converting the ePub to HTML and load the HTML into Word and see how that works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:52 AM   #4
Winnito
Enthusiast
Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Wait?!

this is my first time getting stuck with the same problem...is there really no way to tell calibre when converting epub to docx to make proper footnotes/endnotes rather then hyperlinked text? I would think this was 1990 type of problem.
Winnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:22 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnito View Post
Wait?!

this is my first time getting stuck with the same problem...is there really no way to tell calibre when converting epub to docx to make proper footnotes/endnotes rather then hyperlinked text? I would think this was 1990 type of problem.
Invent a time machine, go back to 1990 and solve it then.
Advert
Old 11-19-2020, 09:31 AM   #6
Winnito
Enthusiast
Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Winnito can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Invent a time machine, go back to 1990 and solve it then.
no need for sarcasm...this wasn't a rant against what you've built...calibre does a great job converting between so many different formats. I'm just puzzled when I encounter something which looks like a problem someone surely encountered before (even before calibre was around, I would think).

Anyways...knowing that I don't know how to fix it but also that it's not easy fixable is good enough for me at this point.

tnx Kovid for all your work.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnito View Post
Wait?!

How could converting epub to docx be a 1990 type of problem when neither epub nor docx existed in 1990?

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 11-19-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:23 PM   #8
Winnito
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
How could converting epub to docx be a 1990 type of problem when neither epub nor docx existed in 1990?
It was a reference to something which seems to be around forever...like MS Word....docx is just the newest format...not even important for this conversation.

My bad if I oversimplified the whole issue. For some reason, I was sure conversion of text with notes would be more simple. I've heard there were Macro solutions, but the 2 I tried didn't really work.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ebooks dont have the concept of pages, a hyperlinked footnote is really an endnote. Additionally, footnotes in ebooks are just links, and not always well encapsulated/defined. Automated translation of such endnotes to footnotes, is technically possible, but not really trivial. I dont feel like doing the work for it, but patches are most welcome.