Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #196
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnipps View Post
All you longtime Yota users - can you clarify if mirror mode totally works on Android 6, or is it "app based" like the Yota 3 has, and doesn't allow mirroring the desktop anymore? What I've read isn't 100% clear on that point.
As far as I recall, mirror mode worked fine with Android 6.0 for any app. My Yotaphone finally decided to give up the ghost a while ago, so I can't be any further help.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:52 PM   #197
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnipps View Post
I'm thinking of buying a 2nd hand Yota 2, in 2020.
I'm contemplating the same thing. My YP 2 recently stopped working and I'm thinking about buying another one as I'm looking for another E-ink phone. But the fact that it's 6 years old is really off-putting. I suspect the lifespan of a used YP2 to be 1-2 at most as it's notoriously known for having a bad charging jacket and developing white lines on the E-ink screen. I'm also contemplating a hisense phone instead.

If my assesment is correct, android 6,although old, is sufficient enough to get most apps running.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2020, 07:25 PM   #198
Schnipps
Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I did not have the courage or a motivation to update it to 6.0. Besides, there was not an official installer for 6.0. Even the update to 5.0 was a highly adrenaline adventure, I thought I have bricked the phone. It took quite a long time for update to install and for phone to work its thing.

The mirror [on Yotaphone 2] works for any app. This is not per-app feature, it is provided by the phone and I think the apps are not even aware they run on a different screen.
I have never had an opportunity to see Yotaphone 3, but from what I have read there is no system-wide mirror mode, it has to be programmed into the app.
Yes, my Yota takes about 10 minutes for a factory reset. I imagine updates are even slower. I'm on Android 5.0, so the mirroring works as you described. Flashing to Marshmallow (or downgrading) isn't a problem for me, as xda is still seeding the firmware torrents. I'm more concerned about possible loss of functionality between OS versions. From 4.4 to 5.0 was a net gain, from what I read. But I don't know about 6, that's what I asked about.

Too bad normal apps can't stay on the back screen indefinitely; obviously mirror mode isn't self-optimizing. It draws significant power - 10% in 2 ½ hours, just listening to music with headphones in my favorite app.

I'm not so much into the power saving feature, it's just cool to be able to use this thing in all kinds of lighting - once I've managed to turn mirroring on, that is There should be a button for that...

Last edited by Schnipps; 09-28-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Schnipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #199
Schnipps
Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schnipps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
If my assesment is correct, android 6,although old, is sufficient enough to get most apps running.
Yes, I think so. The oldest OS Firefox supports is 5.0. Netguard, which I consider necessary for unrooted stock, doesn't run on < 5.1.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #200
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
I’d be keen to hear your experiences of upgrading to Android 5. I recently picked up a NOS Yotaphone 2, and am contemplating the upgrade but don’t want to brick the device...

BTW I find wireless charging works pretty well on the YT2, saves wear on the USB port.
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #201
Schnipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
I’d be keen to hear your experiences of upgrading... I recently picked up a NOS Yotaphone 2, and am contemplating the upgrade but don’t want to brick the device.
I'm a bit rusty, but I've flashed custom firmware on all my devices and never bricked one so far. It's fairly straightforward: read all there is to know about the procedure on xda, make sure your phone is at least 80% charged, get adb working, download the right firmware & stick to the tutorial.

The latest official firmware I found is (Marshmallow 6.0.1 stable) RU1.1.47 linked in this thread, https://forum.xda-developers.com/yot...one-2-t3518062
Yota YD206 with RU firmware should also be flashed with the "hacked" hybrid chinese-russian baseband referenced here, https://forum.xda-developers.com/yot...hone2-t3547194
I suppose this is still valid after the 6.0.1 update, but I'm not sure.
All the tools needed are attached or linked. The phone wouldn't get OTA updates nowadays, so everything has do be done manually.

My device is a YD206 with EU firmware (1.1.124b) and chinese baseband (S01_003_3034_CN1_M05, might already be the hacked version, or one of its daddies).

I don't own this phone, so don't hold your breath, for now. Imports from Russia take 4-8 weeks, if & when I make up mind...

You might also want to download a fallback firmware from xda's Yotaphone 2 torrent, if you don't like the results of the update.