Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm hopeless at thinking up names . Perhaps someone else has a good suggestion?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm hopeless at thinking up names . Perhaps someone else has a good suggestion?
I'm not all that good as well or I would not be asking. I hope someone can come up with a good name.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #33
nausica
Connoisseur
nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Energy Reader Pro
Hi JSWolf,
what do you think of these names?

Chareink,
Charink,
JSWolf font,
JSWolfink
nausica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nausica View Post
Hi JSWolf,
what do you think of these names?

Chareink,
Charink,
JSWolf font,
JSWolfink
Chareink is not bad. I might go with that one. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #35
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
The Font Formerly Known as Charis SIL?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2016, 01:08 AM   #36
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I like "Charwolf".
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:54 AM   #37
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I like "Charwolf".
+1
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:32 AM   #38
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Just use Cale. Charis is the wife of Hephaestus in some ancient Greek sources. It is also a name for three graces. Charis, when used as a name, can also be used as Cale, or Kale.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:44 AM   #39
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Perhaps we should set up a poll...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:51 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've chosen ChareInk for the test version. That could change. The name will be ChareInkTest. The name could change between now and a non-test release. So keep the suggested names coming. Thanks!

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-04-2016 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:56 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, Jon! Appreciate your work on this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:00 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've attached a new version of my "Charis SIL Compact" for testing. It's based on a newer version of "Charis SIL". It's called (ATM) ChareInkTest. It's had the weight increased, hinting added, and some kerning added. I've kept the font metrics the same so the line height should be the same as the previous version.

So if anyone finds anything that needs fixing, please let me know so it can be fixed if possible. Enjoy.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-05-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Old version deleted -- see the newer attachments for newer version(s)
Old 07-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks, Jon! Appreciate your work on this.
Happy to help. I wasn't all that happy with the previous version and wanted to add in some kerning. I've also upped the weight a little more than before given that when the previous version was made, it was made to look good on a 650. Screens have changed and some (IMHO) could do with more weight than some of the older screens.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #44
kleinjar
Connoisseur
kleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: none
ChareInkTest: Bold text looks great now.
Regular text looks sharper than the previous version (I suppose because of the added hinting?) but the regular text has a bit of irregularity at small sizes. It’s subtle but a bit disconcerting.
The diagonal stroke in the middle of the small “a”, for instance, looks to be twice as thick as the bottom stroke. The curve of the small "d" also looks irregular.

Attached pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1902
Size:	542.8 KB
ID:	149882  
kleinjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinjar View Post
ChareInkTest: Bold text looks great now.
Regular text looks sharper than the previous version (I suppose because of the added hinting?) but the regular text has a bit of irregularity at small sizes. It’s subtle but a bit disconcerting.
The diagonal stroke in the middle of the small “a”, for instance, looks to be twice as thick as the bottom stroke. The curve of the small "d" also looks irregular.

Attached pic
I took a look at the font and specifically the a. I cannot see anything that would be causing this other than the the font rendering engine in whatever eInk reader you are using. I don't see such with my Kobo Aura H2O.

I did have a look at the font and I do think the weight needs to be increased some more. I'll do that later today and post a new version.