Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-27-2020, 04:49 PM   #991
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
It's a bit late in the month, but I just noticed that the free book from Faithlife this month is Forensic Faith by J. Warner Wallace. His other popular books, Cold Case Christianity and Alive, have been free in regular ebook format from the publisher, but I didn't yet have Forensic Faith. Note that like other recently discussed books, this adds a book to your Logos account/software and isn't a standard epub, PDF, or Kindle book.

Monthy free book from Faithlife
Monthly Logos book (this month is Interpreting the Pentateuch: An Exegetical Handbook)
Monthly Verbum book (this month is Foundations of Systematic Theology)
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:30 PM   #992
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
William J. Hendricksen's[sic] commentary on Romans is available free from WordSearch/Logos.

Being a Logos book, it requires the Logos Bible software, but a basic version of the software, which will open this volume, is available for free.

This commentary is part of the massive New Testament commentary set, begun by Hendricksen and finished by Simon Kistemaker, after Hendriksen's death. The individual commentaries have gotten good ratings and reviews.

The teaching of the book of Romans was seminal to the views of the Reformers, especially perhaps John Calvin, but also of Martin Luther. Hendricksen was a Calvinist, and so you would expect that he advocates Calvinism in his commentaries, including that on Romans.

FaithLife, the owner now of both Logos and WordSearch Bible, also is offering 7 other, sharply-marked-down books of a scholarly/academic bent. The prices gradually increase, as you go down the list, but I consider all of them still to be bargains.

The linky.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:45 PM   #993
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

NASB 2020 Available Digitally Now.

Okay. I really laid an egg with my post (#988) stating that the NASB 2020 was available on online Bible study websites. It wasn't, and still isn't (as far as I know).

However, if my eyes are to be believed, the NASB is available now digitally. An email that I received today from the Lockman Foundation (the producer of the NASB versions) via the Biblical Archaeology Review so said. See http://reply.biblicalarchaeology.org/dmid=64BE2D89575712AF5186370CF64DD9512EF184AC8A5F9 2FA.

A quick check of this Amazon webpage confirmed the message. You'll note that the NASB 2020 is available digitally in "the Amazon Kindle" mobi format. There are two different editions of them.

I consider them well-priced. One is $9.99; the other is $6.99. The $6.99 edition, at least, includes translators' notes, which I consider to be of great help in many instances.

Can't pony up even $6.99 right now? It may help you to know that 94% of the text of the NASB 2020 is the same as in the previous, 1995, version.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-25-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:14 PM   #994
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

The month of November is quickly slipping by.

Remember the numerous sales of religious books that expire at the stroke of midnight :-) on Monday, November 30.

Few of the sales have been mentioned, in this subforum, this month. One that I want to make sure is mentioned is the Ezra/Nehemiah commentary of the Brazos Theological Commentary (Roman Catholic). It is written by Matthew Levering.

This one runs on the Logos/Verbum platform, and is free. This is a fantastic price, considering the fact that the retail price of this volume is $32.99!

Frankly, the ratings of this commentary, that I found, are relatively tepid. However, there are not that many of them. Perhaps a better indicator of the quality of this work is that at BestCommentaries.com, where it is rated the 7th best commentary on the two books. That is significant, because there are bazillions of commentaries on Ezra/Nehemiah that are rated at BestCommentaries.com.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-25-2020 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:02 PM   #995
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

FREE Commentary on the Gospel According to Mark, by Morna Hooker, at Logos.

The Gospel According to Mark commentary, written by Morna Hooker, and part of the Black's Commentary series, is currently free at Logos, in conjunction with Logos' Christmas Sale.

This book is offered in addition to the free book in Logos' regular monthly sale, which this month features a commentary on Exodus.

Looking at the composite of ratings of the Markan commentary at GoodReads, Amazon, and Logos, I see that the ones for this book are truly stratospheric! Best Commentaries ranks it "only" 14th of all commentaries; however, there is such a plethora of commentaries on this New Testament book that any ranking in the top 20 or 30 at Best Commentaries should be considered awesome, IMHO.

The paperback at Amazon is $58. So, this is an outstanding gift from the folks at Logos/Verbum!

The book runs only on the Logos/Verbum platform, but if you don't have it, not to fear. Logos/Verbum gives away a rudimentary version of its software that will open this book.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 12-03-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:00 AM   #996
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Divorce and Remarriage in the Bible: The Social and Literary Context, by David Instone-Brewer.

Super price: Kindle price $1.99 (print list price $32.00).

Ratings are also great (4.4--Amazon; 4.18--GoodReads).

You may not agree with Instone-Brewer's positions, but there's lots of food for thought here, what with the book having 367 pages.

Link.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 12-29-2020 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:23 AM   #997
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

The NASB2020 is now available online, at Tecarta. It may be available elsewhere, too, but I happened to see it at that site just a few minutes ago.

A great development, in my opinion. I have consistently used the NASB translations (1977, 1995) as my primary Bible, for study purposes, for . . . well, let's just say a lot of years (however, I have done some dalliances with the NRSV a few times. )

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-01-2021 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #998
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Logos' Book of the Month Lineup for January.

This day is not only the first day of a new year, it is the first day of a month.

So, as usual, Logos offers a free book for the month. This month, it is Galatians, by J.V. Fesko, and a volume in the Lectio Continua series. This tome has superb ratings at both Amazon and GoodReads.

True to form, Logos is also offering additional books of the month, at gradually increasing prices from the free one. There are seven of those this month, the first month that I have noticed 8 books being in Logos' Book of the Month lineup:

--Redemptive History and the New Testament Scriptures, by Herman N. Ridderbos, and of the Biblical & Theological Studies series. 99 cents.

--Another book by J.V. Fesko--Songs of a Suffering King: The Grand Christ Hymn of Psalms 1-8. $1.99

--Living in the Gap between Promise and Reality: The Gospel According to Abraham, by Ian M. Duguid, and a volume in the Gospel according to the Old Testament series. $2.99.

--Salvation by Grace: The Case for Effectual Calling and Regeneration, by Matthew Barrett. $3.99.

--The Christian's Reasonable Service, Volume 1: God, Man, and Christ. $5.99.

--The Works of William Perkins Volume 1. $7.99.

--John. Of the Reformed Expository Commentary (REC) series. By Richard D. Phillips. $9.99. Two volumes, making the effective price only about $4.99 per volume.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-01-2021 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #999
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Yes, but there are actually 3 free books offered each month. The one you found at https://www.logos.com/free-book-of-the-month and another at https://www.verbum.com/free-book-of-the-month and finally one at https://ebooks.faithlife.com/free-book-of-the-month.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:21 AM   #1000
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes, but there are actually 3 free books offered each month. The one you found at https://www.logos.com/free-book-of-the-month and another at https://www.verbum.com/free-book-of-the-month and finally one at https://ebooks.faithlife.com/free-book-of-the-month.

Dale
Yes, three free in total--one each at Logos, Verbum, and FaithLife.

Both Logos and Verbum have additional books that gradually rise in price from the initial free one. There are seven additional ones at Logos, and six at Verbum. So, a total of eight at Logos and seven at Verbum.

Is that correct?

Thank you for reminding me of Verbum and FaithLife. I don't know about the book at FaithLife yet, but the first five or so at Verbum have excellent ratings at Amazon and GoodReads, or if there are no ratings, or not enough of them yet to judge, have authors that that have other writings that are highly rated. Maybe one of these days FaithLife will offer more monthly specials than the one free one that it does.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:38 PM   #1001
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

The New American Standard Bible 2020 (NASB 2020) is now available digitally as a standalone book.

Amazon now offers it, in the Kindle format of course. Currently, it is only $9.99 there.

In a post a few days ago, I mentioned that the version was available digitally on at least one Bible study website, Tecarta. There may be an additional one or more Bible study websites which also offer it by now.

The Tecarta Bible Store apparently offers the NASB 2020 as a standalone book. Currently it is $1.99 there--discounted from the regular price of $4.99. However, I was unable to get an account--with username and password--established, for some reason, so that's about all that I can tell you about it now.

The dominoes are starting to fall . . . .

ADDENDUM: I finally was able to establish an account with the Tecarta store, using an alternate email address.

The $1.99 price is for an Android or iOS app. That is to say, you have to use your smartphone to get it.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-05-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:40 PM   #1002
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Hello. Mr. NASB here . . . .

I was able to buy and download the 2020 NASB, from the Tecarta store. Price: $1.99 (List: $4.99). What a bargain! There are also many other Bibles from the same place. One, I noticed, was 75% off.

There are also many other religious books available for Android and iOS, on the cheap. Just look around the store. But, hurry, Tecarta is calling this a "Christmas Sale," so the bargains could be yanked out from under us at any moment.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-07-2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:39 PM   #1003
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

I see that Logos (Bible Software) has the NASB 2020 also. Catch it before the end of the month, and you can save $3.00 (regularly $9.99; sale $6.99).

Since this translation is starting to become nearly ubiquitous, I plan for this to be my last post about the new NASB2020.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #1004
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Verbum (the Catholic branch of Logos) is having a sale on the most commonly used Catholic Bibles as well as some commentaries and other bible study materials.. https://verbum.com/sunday-of-the-word-of-god

The NABRE, RSVCE, NVSVC, RSV2CE and NJB Readers Edition are all on sale for $0.99US; the ESV-CE is on sale for $4.99US.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:19 PM   #1005
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
Verbum (the Catholic branch of Logos) is having a sale on the most commonly used Catholic Bibles as well as some commentaries and other bible study materials.. https://verbum.com/sunday-of-the-word-of-god

The NABRE, RSVCE, NVSVC, RSV2CE and NJB Readers Edition are all on sale for $0.99US; the ESV-CE is on sale for $4.99US.
Thanks for posting. I got four of the seven (I already had two of them).