Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 09-07-2023, 01:50 AM   #1
daneel_olivaw
daneel_olivaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Request: Substack recipe that excludes paid posts

The Substack recipe currently downloads previews of paywalled articles when one is not logged in. I'm wondering if it's possible to create a recipe that excludes paywalled posts.

Don't have the technical skills to code it myself but happy to attempt to hack it together if someone can point me to another recipe that uses similar kind of conditional exclude rules - I'm thinking either based on post tags, or if specific words are present in the post (for ex: all paywalled substack posts include the words read more as part of the link to access the rest of the post).
daneel_olivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 04:19 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you can call self.abort_article inside the preprocess_html() method if you detect it is not an article you want. That method has access to the article contents.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 02:11 AM   #3
daneel_olivaw
daneel_olivaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Are you aware of any other recipes that use self.abort_article?

Like I said, I don't actually understand the code or where/how it needs to be inserted and in what format, with what arguments, but could maybe try and figure it out if given an example that is doing similar things.

Would be grateful if you could point me to a recipe that I could look at. Thanks!
daneel_olivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 08:12 AM   #4
unkn0wn
Evangelist
unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: kindle
there are a lot of recipes that does this, try searching for self.abort_article on github calibre recipes folder.

i used it in Indian express recipe, for example.
unkn0wn is offline   Reply With Quote