Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #1
voodooste
voodooste began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire 7 9th Gen
Question Kindle fire 7 9th Gen not showing in calibre

Hi

My new Kindle fire 7-9th Gen is not showing in calibre.

I have a kindle 7 7th Gen that works just fine and is recognised, but the 9th gen just wont show. It shows as a device on the pc but kindle doesnt see it?

Im using the wire that came with it and tried plugging it into different USBs. The older kindle works fine with the new wire and is recognised everytime. If somebody could help i'd be most grateful
voodooste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What version Calibre??
On what OS?

Calibre is always being updated to include newer devices, so you may have an old install.

BTW The OS must be able to see the device in the file manager for Calibre to use it
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
asked and answered multiple times. please search the board for what you need to do and why only newer devices are affected.
( hint: USB connection menu on device )
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
voodooste
voodooste began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire 7 9th Gen
Thank you very much! Sorted. yeah plug it in and then swipe down and vhane from charging to file transfer or something similar. Thanks mate.
voodooste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

great, and you got it 1st time around, unlike some

I do wish there as a sticky for this but I am not empowered to make one.

PS it's a stupid design in that you have to swipe and select every time you connect, the device is unable to remember a preference
Advert
Old 01-19-2020, 07:32 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I do wish there as a sticky for this but I am not empowered to make one.
What's wrong with the one that already exists - apart from the fact that no one reads stickies.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:42 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What's wrong with the one that already exists - apart from the fact that no one reads stickies.

BR
oops. you must mean the one that I have not read - because, as you say....

sorry, I did not realise there is one - but in my defence, I'm not the one who needs it....
checking...

that one was written in 2011, years before amazon created this issue ( of devices defaulting to usb charging only and expecting user to spot an alert).
[ it happens also to smartphones running android 6, but not a lot of folks here use USB connections to read books on those ]
so it needs modifying.
also, the question is more often asked in the Kindle - fire subforum

Last edited by stumped; 01-20-2020 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:55 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

PS- if the question is asked again, and no one helps out, I will eventually post a link to this thread. I am not & don't want to be a mod so I am not going to do the job of writing and maintaining stickies for them .
the info is out there- both in several previous replies from me and at amazon forums ( which I have already posted links to), or in google search results for fire tablet usb connection menu
Old 02-09-2020, 08:52 AM   #9
SuzanneP
SuzanneP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 7
were You able to figure it out? I just bought a new Kindle Fire 7 yesterday and I’m running into the exact same problem.
SuzanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #10
SuzanneP

I’m so sorry to be the clueless person here - I don’t even know how to search “usb connection on device” here in this forum. Is there a link? THANK YOU!!
Old 02-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

read post #4

also, at top right of every page there is a box labelled search
that is what you use to search

you can also ask google
read post #8 for how to do that

or find the answer in amazon forums,

or even call amazon... they designed it that way...

here's yet another explanation ( 5th answer)
https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...ty-on-computer

youtube has videos

or consider returning the device to amazon, tell them its too complicated...

Last edited by stumped; 02-09-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:58 AM   #12
SuzanneP

I’m so sorry to post again- but now the kindle won’t allow me to switch from “usb charging” to “transfer files”. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2020, 09:37 AM   #13
stumped
Wizard

you just tap on top of where it says " usb charging" on the fire tablet screen and the list of options should open up?
if not , maybe you are using a different cable now, which is only a charging cable ?
try starting over, with different cables
there are some you tube videos ( you need to search for them) so the only other thing I can suggest is to watch someone do it on you tube and spot the difference with what happens for you

but I bet its the cable. either you picked up the wrong cable, or you have one that is just now damaged and so will not do data transfer. if you have the cable that was shipped with the tablet, try with that
Old 02-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #14
SuzanneP

Same cable. Ugh. So annoying. Thanks for your help. It had been working for weeks with no issues.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:31 PM   #15
SuzanneP

I’m getting an error that says
“Failed to get children from device”. What on earth does that mean?

Tags
kindle 9th gen