Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
Finally Quality Leather Oasis 2 case

Like, most people I was disappointed in Amazon’s original offerings of Leather cases. In my case the big issue was the weak magnets. In the past there have been some nice quality leather covers for older Kindle’s from manufacturers like Oberon.
I purchased the Kindle Oasis 2 case off Etsy from Hand and Hide in Dark Chocolate. The bad news is the price, $129! The good news is this is quality leather with the smell and texture you expect from good product.
This is the kind of leather that gains character with handling and age. In my opinion the feel of a nice leather cover adds to the reading experience.
It does not have magnets in the cover, so you lose the auto sleep/turn on function. In my case the trade off is worth it.
I have owned the case for a few weeks, so it still needs break-in. See the attached images.
Cheers, Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E4349791-7924-49AF-86BA-469F363FAC72.jpeg
Views:	323
Size:	498.0 KB
ID:	162888   Click image for larger version

Name:	954989DD-6087-4D9D-A9A1-6AE3B7A7A9C9.jpeg
Views:	315
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	162889   Click image for larger version

Name:	C754D447-89F8-44C8-ABCF-D0692A56C15D.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	515.1 KB
ID:	162890   Click image for larger version

Name:	01D6388B-7D30-40FD-881F-3E7F32227276.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	471.3 KB
ID:	162891   Click image for larger version

Name:	49BDD4ED-F7C6-4191-87CF-2C3B332B9490.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	162892  
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not having sleep functionality is a show-stopper for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #3
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Clearly a quality product. Shame about not having sleep functionality. I'd not buy without it.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:36 AM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I got a amazon dupe on ebay paid $8.99 and it looks like real leather. Got it in brown and hunter green. I love it. It also covers 100% for it snaps in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180111_200724.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	162902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	162903   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	162904  
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:44 PM   #5
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
I was certainly disappointed when I discovered no sleep function, but in practice it really hasn’t been a big deal to me. It simply requires that I press the power button after opening the cover before swiping to wake the Oasis. Sometimes I forget to turn it off when I close the cover, but the device eventually goes to sleep. I usually read for at least 45min or an hour, so it is a minor inconvenience.
Cheers, Joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcg9 View Post
I was certainly disappointed when I discovered no sleep function, but in practice it really hasn’t been a big deal to me. It simply requires that I press the power button after opening the cover before swiping to wake the Oasis. Sometimes I forget to turn it off when I close the cover, but the device eventually goes to sleep. I usually read for at least 45min or an hour, so it is a minor inconvenience.
Cheers, Joe
I also have this cover, and it is lovely. Like you, I would have much preferred it to have the sleep wake function, but I actually don't miss it that much. It adds a new pleasure to reading.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
sirdave
sirdave began at the beginning.

Device: original Kindle, Kindle DX, Keyboard Kindle, Voyager, Oasis1
No sleep functionality would be a deal-breaker alone for me, but a cover costing as much as a new Paperwhite is my absolute red line.
sirdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdave View Post
No sleep functionality would be a deal-breaker alone for me, but a cover costing as much as a new Paperwhite is my absolute red line.
Yeah! I bought a refurbed PW2 for $50 US! My PW will have to learn to live with a plastic cover! Or as they say on Amazon, "PU Leather".
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I don't care for those little tabs with snaps, at all. I prefer snap in type cases, with a device that has a flush screen, the edges or corners that wrap the device ruin that feature.

I'll bet it's heavy, and $129? Yowza.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
It's not usually very difficult to add your own DIY sleep magnet, especially with a cover like the OP posted. That leather pocket on the left-hand side should make it very easy to tuck in a suitable magnet (the flatter the better) in the correct place to trigger the sleep on/off function.

I managed to convert my Oberon cover (beautiful, but heavy) to a sleep cover and I'm not one of life's great DIY-ers.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #11
Dave M
Dave M began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I really loved the Amazon leather case for the Oasis 1. Pity they don’t do one for the O2....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #12
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It's not usually very difficult to add your own DIY sleep magnet, especially with a cover like the OP posted. That leather pocket on the left-hand side should make it very easy to tuck in a suitable magnet (the flatter the better) in the correct place to trigger the sleep on/off function.

I managed to convert my Oberon cover (beautiful, but heavy) to a sleep cover and I'm not one of life's great DIY-ers.
Hi, any recommendations as to which kind of flat magnet is most suitable? I see flat magnetic sheets that can be cut to size available on Amazon and am wondering if a cut off from that would be suitable?
Old 03-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
Hi, any recommendations as to which kind of flat magnet is most suitable? I see flat magnetic sheets that can be cut to size available on Amazon and am wondering if a cut off from that would be suitable?
There were some detailed discussions about suitable magnets you could buy in one of these MR forums a couple of years ago. You might like to try a couple of searches to see if you can track it down.

I have a vague memory about 'rare earth' magnets being discussed. They need to be fairly strong, I think.

Some people were successful using the magnet from the back of one of their fridge magnets. However, this didn't work with any of mine which all seemed too weak. I ended up using a small rectangular magnet which came out of an old electric toothbrush head. My husband's discovery, not mine

You can easily test whether any household magnet is going to be suitable just by holding it a couple of millimetres above the screen in the 'right place'. I don't know how much this 'right place' varies across different devices but on my various Kobos it always seems to be roughly 1-inch-above and 1-inch-left of the bottom right corner of the screen (not the bezel).
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #14
John Hopper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
There were some detailed discussions about suitable magnets you could buy in one of these MR forums a couple of years ago. You might like to try a couple of searches to see if you can track it down.

I have a vague memory about 'rare earth' magnets being discussed. They need to be fairly strong, I think.

Some people were successful using the magnet from the back of one of their fridge magnets. However, this didn't work with any of mine which all seemed too weak. I ended up using a small rectangular magnet which came out of an old electric toothbrush head. My husband's discovery, not mine

You can easily test whether any household magnet is going to be suitable just by holding it a couple of millimetres above the screen in the 'right place'. I don't know how much this 'right place' varies across different devices but on my various Kobos it always seems to be roughly 1-inch-above and 1-inch-left of the bottom right corner of the screen (not the bezel).
Thanks for this. I looked back at the earlier posts you mentioned. I've tried numerous fridge magnets to no avail. They don't activate any part of the screen of my Kindle to trigger sleep/wake. I've also bought some small strong neodymium magnets, a type of rare earth magnet, but they don't work either. No part of the screen is activated when I hold them just above surface.

So I wonder how those who have made it work have done so. At least, I wonder if someone who has tried this with a Kindle rather than a Kobo can say which part of the screen the built-in magnet activates in the sleep/wake function?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #15
kschles
kschles began at the beginning.

Oberon finally has cases for both Oasis 1 and 2. Limited design options. I just received an Oasis 2 Case (Paisley, Orchid), and like it quite a bit. It has the sleep/awake functionality. Typical of Oberon, the device is held in the case by four leather straps. Beautiful leather, heavier than the Moko case I previously used, but I find the size and weight of the combination to be very nice.

https://www.oberondesign.com/collections/kindle-oasis

Last edited by kschles; 04-04-2018 at 07:46 PM.
kschles is offline   Reply With Quote