Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #1
Maarten55
Maarten55 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Download backup library

While my iMac is out for repair, I downloaded Calibre on my laptop. I've got the backup library on one of my external harddisks (metadata.db), but when I open Calibre, I can't find a way to download the data into the program. What am I missing here? Any help is appreciated.
Maarten55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you have a backup of all the directories with all of the books?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
Maarten55

I have a folder called "Calibre Library" which contains a document "metadata.db". As far as I know, that's the only thing.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten55 View Post
I have a folder called "Calibre Library" which contains a document "metadata.db". As far as I know, that's the only thing.
Then your backup has none of your eBooks. They are all on your iMac. Let's hope you can get them back.

When you backup your Calibre library, you have to backup the entire directory (and subdirectories) that your library is in. Also, you should backup your Calibre settings which is in a different directory.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Maarten55

OK, thanks for the reply. Not sure I quite understand what you mean, but I'll figure it out
Advert
Old 03-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten55 View Post
That is the DEFAULT name and will be created (again), if Calibre can't find a 'known' , active (to the configuration file) Library. (the clue, is no Author folders, and just 2 files, one being metadata.db)

Many of us do not use this one as our Working Library.
You can right-click the Library Icon: Rename Library: <select>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That is the DEFAULT name and will be created (again), if Calibre can't find a 'known' , active (to the configuration file) Library. (the clue, is no Author folders, and just 2 files, one being metadata.db)

Many of us do not use this one as our Working Library.
You can right-click the Library Icon: Rename Library: <select>
Can you please explain that in plain English? If the OP didn't understand what I said, he'll definitely not understand this.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
It sounds as if you may be looking at the default library created when you installed calibre. You may need to open calibre, click on the Calibre Library icon and then select switch/create library. Browse to the location of your library on your external hard disk, make sure the radio button for Use the previously existing library at the new location is selected and then click okay.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you please explain that in plain English? If the OP didn't understand what I said, he'll definitely not understand this.
OK
If you destroy-block your Calibre Preferences, Calibre does not know what your last used Library name was (or where it was) , Then it will try and USE Calibre Library in your USER Folder. That is the default location and Calibre Library is the default name. If it can't find that, It WILL CREATE IT. It will have NO BOOKS.

100% Valid (but horribly confusing ), which is why I recommend renaming each Library to other than default
Code:
\user\a\Calibre Library
\user\b\Calibre Library
\user\c\Calibre Library
\user\d\Calibre Library
FWIW The containing folder name is the Library name.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The problem is that the OP has his Calibre library and settings on his iMac which is out for repair. He didn't correctly copy his Calibre library from the iMac and thus, doesn't have access to his eBooks. Te only thing the OP can do is wait until his iMac comes back and if the Calibre library and settings are still there, he can do a proper backup and he can ask here if he's unsure how to do this.