Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
Kaspercam
Kaspercam began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2
Do Kindles have liquid screens that effect lighting?gut

Greetings,

I just signed up as I’ve been a long time paperwhite user but upgraded to an oasis 2 recently and I’ve been a little disappointed in it. It currently has very obvious lighting issues with the side being closer to the buttons brighter and the left darker. It’s bad enough that it’s really distracting me while reading and I’m not enjoying the read or getting an experience I would expect for a premium device. Before it’s mentioned yes this happens in lower and bright light settings including dark or light environments but is far less obvious in direct sunlight but I could read in pitch black on PW3.

I was doing some testing and thought you guys probably know a ton more than me about this stuff so here goes... I don’t own a case yet so the oasis 2 is constantly on an incline while not being used and the button area is higher. I was thinking if the kindle uses a liquid in its display is it all draining down to the lower section and causing it to make the left side look darker? I can’t test for a couple of days but before I attempt to return it I thought I would check if this theory is possible. So if I had a case or kept it flat would this fix/help it? My paperwhite were always in cases and resting flat on tables and I never had this issue.

Thanks
Kaspercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspercam View Post
Greetings,

I just signed up as I’ve been a long time paperwhite user but upgraded to an oasis 2 recently and I’ve been a little disappointed in it. It currently has very obvious lighting issues with the side being closer to the buttons brighter and the left darker. It’s bad enough that it’s really distracting me while reading and I’m not enjoying the read or getting an experience I would expect for a premium device. Before it’s mentioned yes this happens in lower and bright light settings including dark or light environments but is far less obvious in direct sunlight but I could read in pitch black on PW3.

I was doing some testing and thought you guys probably know a ton more than me about this stuff so here goes... I don’t own a case yet so the oasis 2 is constantly on an incline while not being used and the button area is higher. I was thinking if the kindle uses a liquid in its display is it all draining down to the lower section and causing it to make the left side look darker? I can’t test for a couple of days but before I attempt to return it I thought I would check if this theory is possible. So if I had a case or kept it flat would this fix/help it? My paperwhite were always in cases and resting flat on tables and I never had this issue.

Thanks
The liquid is in over a million tiny capsules and does not move around in the manner you describe and has nothing to do with lighting evenness. Kindles can be read in any orientation so a tiny tilt is not going to affect that aspect of reading.

It may be that you are too sensitive to the Oasis light gradient to enjoy reading on it. Some people can't stand the light gradient on any eink reader.

If you are OK with reading on a paperwhite, you might want to stick with that.

Keeping the Oasis level will not help with the lighting.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
On the Oasis, the lights all shine from one side of the device. It is a tiny bit less bright on the thin side.

The Paperwhite lights are at the bottom, so the slight difference as the light diminishes at the top is less noticeable to some users than it is on the Oasis.

I love the Oasis, and never notice the variation of the lights. I just use it. Try that for a few days, without becoming fixated on the lights.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
Kaspercam

Thanks for the reply. By gradient are you saying all oasis 2 are a white colour on the right and a murky yellow on the left? This doesn’t seem like it’s by design it’s very obvious and distracting. If this is the case why design a premium device with un even lighting am I missing something? Or do people prefer multiple colours? I read many many articles talking about the device having more lights installed compared to the other devices which is supposed to present a brighter screen and white even finish (but I’m getting the oppiste). I’m just not sure it has much to do with my eyes being sensitive in this case as I’ve asked two friends who found it very obvious + I’ve borrowed my friends voyage and oasis 1 and my own paperwhite and never had such a drastic colour change halfway across the screen. I’m just a little baffled about all of this to be honest and wonder why they are priced so high considering.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
Kaspercam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
On the Oasis, the lights all shine from one side of the device. It is a tiny bit less bright on the thin side.

The Paperwhite lights are at the bottom, so the slight difference as the light diminishes at the top is less noticeable to some users than it is on the Oasis.

I love the Oasis, and never notice the variation of the lights. I just use it. Try that for a few days, without becoming fixated on the lights.
Thanks for that! I never noticed anything like that on my paperwhite though and I kinda wish I didn’t sell it at this point. I did because I assumed I would be getting the same experience on the oasis but brighter. Anyway I’ll give it a go for a couple more days as you said. That was a less dismissive response appreciate it.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:01 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My Oasis 2 has a light gradient too that was pretty noticeable at first and bothered me somewhat. I wouldn't call the opposite side from the buttons murky yellow though, it is slightly yellower than the button side. So it's possible your gradient is worse than mine. Anyway, I have to say that I've read on the Oasis several months now and rarely notice the color difference any more. So yes, give it a little time. Your eyes may get used to it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspercam View Post
Thanks for the reply. By gradient are you saying all oasis 2 are a white colour on the right and a murky yellow on the left? This doesn’t seem like it’s by design it’s very obvious and distracting. If this is the case why design a premium device with un even lighting am I missing something? Or do people prefer multiple colours? I read many many articles talking about the device having more lights installed compared to the other devices which is supposed to present a brighter screen and white even finish (but I’m getting the oppiste). I’m just not sure it has much to do with my eyes being sensitive in this case as I’ve asked two friends who found it very obvious + I’ve borrowed my friends voyage and oasis 1 and my own paperwhite and never had such a drastic colour change halfway across the screen. I’m just a little baffled about all of this to be honest and wonder why they are priced so high considering.
Having the same issue with mine , the first book I read it was really noticeable however on 2nd book I can’t notice it as much. Maybe as other people have mentioned it’ could be my eyes ajustjng to it.
I am with you though when you say it’s a premium device , very tempted to swap for a paperwhite.

I am very much a person that gets bugged when I see a defect and my brain goes into over time looking for other issues :-(
Never really managed to get into reading, hardly use my kobo so when I got gifted a oasis 2 I ended up reading a book in less than 48hrs, now onto another book and thinking about jumping on the kindle unlimited offer up at the end of the month. Totally addicted at the moment.
stethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have had the Kindle keybroad, PW2, voyage, and now Oasis 2. I have never noticed any issues with uneven lighting or difference in color across my screens. Maybe I am lucky and got all great kindles. or maybe my eyesight just is not sensitve to the differences in the screens. I also keep my light level set to 8 on the Oasis as I did on the PW2 and the voyage. On the voyage and now on the Oasis I disable the auto screen brightness.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote