Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #1
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Best sub £400 Android ereader for internet browsing?

I need to find something because my eyes hurt using lcd.

I have the following requirements:

1. I would like to use Bluetooth or wireless keyboard.
2. No flashing, refreshing, screen updates after I scroll in browser.
3. Lasts longer than 3 months.

I can’t afford Dasung, or boox max. Etc. Is there any hope?

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 02-07-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nope. They all flash.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nope. They all flash.
You really do know next to nothing about it.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 02-07-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could try an Onyx. You can attach a bluetooth keyboard. They come with a built-in non-flash A2 mode. I tried it with an old Onyx model. Using it as a secondary screen with a laptop was too laggy for me, but they might be faster now. But I found it fast enough using vim-touch installed directly on the e-reader for text-processing. Really it depends what you want to do.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 02-07-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
You could try an Onyx. You can attach a bluetooth keyboard. They come with a built-in non-flash A2 mode. I tried it with an old Onyx model. It was too laggy for me. Ask in the Onyx forum. If you just want to do text processing, it might work. I did it using vim-touch. It was all right. YMMV. Really it depends what you want to do.
I browse net mostly.

There’s a video of an Oynx N96 web browsing in a2 mode here...

https://youtu.be/77kIpwei46Q

This might be enough, though I can’t tell what scrolling is like as he only uses the page turn buttons to scroll, rather than touching.

My hope was that more recent (and low priced) models, might do this better.
Advert
Old 02-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard

I think the video is likely to be pretty representative of browsing graphic/image intensive pages on an Onyx. You could turn off images and try to make it as text-based as possible. I suggest you ask on the Onyx sub-forum. They own the devices. The only way you'll get cheaper is via used devices or smaller. But I don't think they will great or cheap for browsing, but my experience is limited.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:09 AM   #7
Waiting4somethin
Addict

i think I found the answer. rooted nook simple touch with an a2 hack.

https://youtu.be/kBbl6egyPsQ

At 1:30 he turns it on and scrolls and zooms in the browser.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:12 AM   #8
Waiting4somethin
Addict

There is also a video of it playing a 3D game, and mario.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:18 AM   #9
Waiting4somethin
Addict

https://www.engadget.com/2012/02/23/...e-touch-video/

“As anyone who's used an e-reader knows, page refreshes aren't the most elegant feature of E Ink. Well, if you've got a Nook Simple Touch a hack released by XDA Developers member marspeople could put an end to your page-changing woes. You'll need to root your device and install an .apk, then simply activate fast refresh mode by a four-tap gesture -- sadly, not the Konami code. What is impressive, is just how fast the screen refreshing actually is. Fluidly browsing documents and the web on e-readers suddenly has the potential to be a whole lot less frustrating.“
Old 02-08-2018, 05:26 AM   #10
Waiting4somethin
Addict

“Rooted Nook Touch Fast Refresh Playing Video.”

https://youtu.be/R92qSBU_WzA
Old 02-08-2018, 05:37 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Web browsing is really not an ideal experience on any eInk device that I've used.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:38 AM   #12
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Probably overexcited.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 02-08-2018 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:51 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I was watching a video of web browsing on a Boox in A2 mode. Might as well flash given the refresh when scrolling.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:59 AM   #14
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Web browsing is really not an ideal experience on any eInk device that I've used.
They don’t have enough ram. The Nook has 256 mb, I expect it to be an “article reader” and perhaps if I’m lucky good enough to post on forums.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:25 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
They don’t have enough ram. The Nook has 256 mb, I expect it to be an “article reader” and perhaps if I’m lucky good enough to post on forums.
Even on a generic Android eInk device I owned (Onyx T68), which did have more RAM, it really wasn't great. Definitely not something I'd choose to use to browse the web!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote