Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
Bernd_B
Bernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with others

Device: J-PRS-650
Convert a J-PRS-650 to PRS-650

Hi experts,
I live in Japan and bought of cause the japanease Version of the PRS-650 called "J-PRS-650" because no other version was available.
I tried to install the original europeaen firmware version and also the PRS+ version. But both failed.
The use of the japanease version is for me not convienent because also the PC frontend is only in japannease language. I live in japan at this moment but i didn`t understand the language very well.
The step from german over english to japanease language is in general for me very difficult.

So I need some help how to flash the european (german) firmware to the J-PRS-650. (japan version). And maybe update later to PRS+ version.

in advance.

best regards,
Bernd
Bernd_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Bernd_B
Bernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with othersBernd_B plays well with others

Hi,
I read in other threats about firmware packages like : "PRS650.Flash.Package.1.05k.zip" from "www.the-ebook.org". But I am not sure if it contains the complete firmware of PRS650 or only a kind of add on.
Does anybody know this ?

Best regards,

Best regards,
Bernd
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
It contains big part of the firmware (though not all of it).
I'm not aware if it was ever successfully installed on Japanese firmware.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Bernd_B

Hi,

thank you for the answer. It looks so that not so much experiences with the japanease version exists.
My next idea is to exchange the complete firmware. My first step was now to read out the original firmware with the "ebook_msc.exe" and option "fulldmp". This works great except the Block16. I copied this block with the "get" option manually. This block looks like the user acesseble internal space.
The next step is to find out if the blocksize is the same in japanease and international version. To check this I need somebody who reads out an international PRS650. Who can do this ?

I attached the blocksize of J-PRS650 for compare.

http://img97.imageshack.us/i/prs650files.png

If both version has the same blocksize it must me possible to convert a J-PRS650 to PRS650. Or not ? How is the risk to brick the device ?

Does anyone know what kind of data the different Blocks contains ?

Best regards,
Bernd

Last edited by Bernd_B; 09-01-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Attachment didn`t work
Old 09-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd_B View Post
Does anyone know what kind of data the different Blocks contains ?
You can check the Blocks with cramfsck. All blocks holding parts of the Linux-OS should be cramfs-images.
Some of the rest are VFAT-Images you can access with a "normal" windows-disk-image-editor. I found and use a free one, but can't recall at the moment.
One of the VFAT-Image in the international version holds the dictionaries, another the pre-installed books and manual.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: info for PRS-350
$dev$mtdblock11 holds the dictionaries (204.800k)
$dev$mtdblock14 holds pre.installed books and manual (65.536k)

Size for this two (2) blocks match yours

Last edited by Mark Nord; 09-01-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added some info
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Bernd_B

Question

Hi again,

I checked each block for VFAT or cramFS image. Thanks to Mark for the hint.

In the following list I combiened my informations about the mtdblocks:

Mnt1: ???
Mnt2: ??? contains the string "J-PRS-650" maybe the USB identifier and RSA Private key
Mnt3: ???
Mnt4: CramFS image
Mnt5: ???
Mnt6: ???
Mnt7: ???
Mnt8: ???
Mnt9: ???
Mnt10: CramFS image
Mnt11: VFATictionary
Mnt12: VFAT:Sony transfer program installtion
Mnt13: VFAT:device configuration data ???
Mnt14: VFAT:The original installed media (Ebook,MP3...) Maybe for recovery
Mnt15: CramFS image
Mnt16: VFAT:internal useable space
Mnt17/18: SD card and memory stick

My objectives are:
Change the USB identifier to use the international Sony tools for firmware update and so on.
Install the international Dictionarys instead the japanease one.
Change the firmware to international one to use extentions like PRS+.

For the next step I have the following questions:
Why is the Firmware splitted in different images (Mnt4,10,15) ? Is one of them a kind of recovery image ? Do I need to replace them all ?
And where to get the Images ? Can sombody provided these blocks ?

I can provide the japanease version !

Best regards from Japan,
Bernd
Old 09-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
As this is copyrighted material please check your PM
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Bernd_B

Thumbs up

Hi Mark,

sorry I didn`t thought about the Copcright.
Thank you for the PM I think this will help me

I will inform you about my new steps in the future !!

Best regards from Japan,
Bernd
Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #9
Bernd_B

Dear all,

thanks for your help. I replaced the necessary files and now I have a international PRS650.

Best regards,
Bernd

Old 09-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Bernd_B
Could you list a bit more details about the process please, so that other users don't have to research everything from start.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Bernd_B

Dear kartu,

I replaced the original jap $dev$mtdblock 2-4,6,7 and 9-15 with the international one by using the "ebook_msc.exe". $dev$mtdblock 1,5,8 are the same in both versions.

Best regards,
Bernd
Old 09-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #12
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
If I understand correctly, you overwrote the /dev/mtdblockX files with the ones you copied from someone's Western PRS-650 using ebook_msc put.

I am glad it worked for you, but it was (1) risky, as you were overwriting the Root filesystem while running from it (could have crashed and killed your reader) and (2) somewhat unethical, as you essentially cloned someone else's reader together with serial number and DRM authentication.

Wouldn't recommend doing it as a routine conversion exercise.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:08 AM   #13
Bernd_B

Dear porkupan,

Yes, you are right I just copied the whole flash from a different PRS to my one. But this looks like the best way because I didn`t know so much about the internal structur of the PRS650. If your have more information please share with other interested user. I know the conversion from a J-PRS to a PRS has a risk to brick my device and also that the warrenty is gone.

I don`t know if the serial number is really stored in the overwritten area because I didn`t compare it before and after modification. Normaly I would expect that this kind of information is stored in a kind of ROM area not changeable after production.

Do you know on which kind of information the DRM authentication is based? and where it is stored ?

In /dev/mtdblock2 exist a section with a RSA private key (found with Hexeditor). But it looks like that this key is the same on all devices. Because /dev/mtdblock2 differs only in the device name (J-PRS-650 <=> PRS-650) and not in the key area. I did`t understand that because I imagine that this are device unic information.

Best regards from Japan,
Bernd
Old 09-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd_B View Post
I don`t know if the serial number is really stored in the overwritten area because I didn`t compare it before and after modification. Normaly I would expect that this kind of information is stored in a kind of ROM area not changeable after production.
Well, you may be right. I haven't investigated where the serial number info is stored. I assumed it was in Info (mtd2), Id (mtd10) or Opt0 (mtd13), but I may be mistaken.

The DRM authorization info should be stored in Opt0.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
ihar
ihar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Dear Bernd_B!

My problem looks like as your one.
Japanese version PRS-650 was bought by my friend for me in Japan.
Which version of J-PRS-650 hardware had you have before from convertion J-PRS-650 in PRS-650?
I have got 1.0.00.12200.
ihar is offline   Reply With Quote