Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 10:15 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Keeping ISBN10 when downloading metadata

Downloading metadata replaces manually-entered ISBN10 number with the downloaded ISBN13 numbers. For various reasons, I'd like to keep the original ISBN10 number. Is there an option to prevent it from overwriting?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 11-03-2018 at 10:18 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Downloading metadata replaces manually-entered ISBN10 number with the downloaded ISBN13 numbers. For various reasons, I'd like to keep the original ISBN10 number. Is there an option to prevent it from overwriting?
The onlyway I see is:
Use the Ctrl D method AND Use the Review button.
The Identifiers field copy ARROW has an option (down arrow) which allows a right click: Merge
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I figured it'd be something like that. Thank you.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #4
Montana Harper
Zealot
Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone 12, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
If you're already manually entering the ISBN10, why not put it in a custom column that metadata download doesn't touch?
Montana Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Because I'm adding the books by ISBN. I'm using Calibre to catalog my physical books alongside the eBooks.
Advert
Old 11-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
Montana Harper
Zealot
Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone 12, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Because I'm adding the books by ISBN. I'm using Calibre to catalog my physical books alongside the eBooks.
To be clear, are you saying that you only input the ISBN10 and then perform the metadata download with the title and author fields empty/"unknown" and you need the ISBN to remain in the Identifiers column so that there's something to search against to find the correct metadata?

If so, you could copy & paste the ISBN into a custom column before you do the metadata download. This will definitely work if you're either inputting or downloading metadata on a book-by-book basis (which is my preferred method, because I like to verify that the correct book is found).

If that isn't your workflow, maybe you could clarify? (I know that it's possible to bulk move things from one column to another using the Search & Replace function, but I'm not sure you can copy, leaving the original intact. Maybe someone else has more info on that, or maybe the answer is in the documentation.)
Montana Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:48 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Many of the books are older ones, with only the ISBN10s. I input them in batches of 5-10 books at a time, let Calibre automatically download the metadata and covers, and correct any information that needs doing so.

I suppose I could find a way to bulk-copy the ISBN10 before doing the metadata download.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Many of the books are older ones, with only the ISBN10s. I input them in batches of 5-10 books at a time, let Calibre automatically download the metadata and covers, and correct any information that needs doing so.

I suppose I could find a way to bulk-copy the ISBN10 before doing the metadata download.
So you are saying that the metadata download is finding a NEWER version and stomping yours?
ISBN 13: is just an ISBN-10 configured for UPC scanning
978<ISBN> no check digit 0-9,X
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I'm not exactly sure what is going on, especially for books that haven't been reprinted after 2007, but the ISBN13s are definitely stomping over the 10s.

While looking for information, I found an ISBN Converter, which does seem to work on older books as well. It produces ISBNs that show the correct books when I search for it.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 11-06-2018 at 03:24 PM.