Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Dave Duncan, Canadian Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author, dead at 85

I found out via Facebook yesterday that Dave Duncan, one of my favourite fantasy authors, had died on Monday (2018-10-29) at age 85. Duncan apparently suffered a brain hemorrhage after a fall last week and never recovered.

I've been a fan of his work for a long, long time. I can't recall when I first found his work... I think it was around 1996 or so, but it might have been earlier. The first novels I read were the "A Man of His Word" series. I followed up with "The Seventh Sword" novels, a number of stand-alones (West of January is a standout there), the Cursed, The Great Game trilogy, The Omar duology... so many others.

He had a few misses in there, for me. I didn't care for his follow-up to "A Man of his Word", the "A Handful of Men" series. Similarly, I didn't care much for Hero!, one of his sci-fi stand-alones.

Still, I have re-read so many of his novels. I'm currently working on one of his stand-alones, Ill Met in the Arena.

Here's a link to an obituary article on Locus.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Bummer. I didn't realize he was that old, but I started reading him with the Seventh Sword series back in the late 80's. I've got his Seventh Sword books as ebooks. I guess it's time to pick up some of the others.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2018, 09:30 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Bummer. I didn't realize he was that old, but I started reading him with the Seventh Sword series back in the late 80's. I've got his Seventh Sword books as ebooks. I guess it's time to pick up some of the others.
Same here. 7th swords, Man of his Word were my favs
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:28 AM   #4
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Very sad, one of my favorite authors.

I started with the "Gilded Chain" and it led me to read many many more books by Duncan.

I also particular liked the tetralogi "A Man of His Word" and also the follow up "A Handful of Men". And the "Seventh Sword" that lately also became a tetralogi with "The Death of Nnanji" .
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Unhappy

Bugger, he is one of my favorite authors indeed, and likewise to some above, I started with his Seventh Sword series many moons ago.

I bought his latest book (ebook) only a couple of weeks ago.

I'm only missing two that are out of print. I have all the rest, even those written under different aliases ... mostly as paperbacks ... last few years as ebooks.

The Seventh Sword series is my favorite of his, but I like them all to varying degrees. The two Omar books are also favorites.

RIP Dave Duncan .... thank you for the joy you have given myself and others.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert