Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 08:58 AM   #16
eDP
eDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheese

Device: Oasis
Ok, this will be interesting...on the Amazon Australia listing there's no mention of Audible support as a feature but under formats supported...

Content Formats Supported
Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, PMP through conversion; Audible audio format (AAX).

Amazon USA however does mention Audible as a feature...I bet the Aussie version has Audible disabled when they ship it.
eDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #17
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDP View Post
Interesting they're still not introducing a comfort light type feature.
I wonder if that is due to patent issues or if they just want to save something for next year's model.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #18
eDP
eDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I wonder if that is due to patent issues or if they just want to save something for next year's model.
My guess is the latter. These things innovate so slowly they've really gotta pace themselves with new features!
Old 10-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #19
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
and here's the listing on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075QRWPPJ

I used the ASIN that JHowell found, and I give him kudos for that
Hmmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon.com
Can this item ship to your country or region?
To ship this product outside the U.S., please select your country or region of use and read the specific information for that location. Content shown is not available in all countries or regions.
Sorry, this product cannot be shipped to United States.
Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #20
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDP View Post
Interesting they're still not introducing a comfort light type feature.
I’m glad Amazon didn’t buy into that gimmick.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #21
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Hmmm...

Shari
yes, i found the general listing rather than the US-specific listing

it's now after 9am, so all the listings should be live
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #22
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Ah...there's the US one. Thanks!

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #23
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And a press release from Amazon:

Meet the All-New Kindle Paperwhite—Thinner, Lighter, 2x the Storage, and Waterproof for Just $129

Besides the specs mentioned previously there is a clearer description of the Kindle software changes coming:

Quote:
Kindle includes a variety of ways to tailor your experience so you can read your book your way. Today, we’re introducing even more personalization features, including:

An updated home—The new home experience makes it easier to find your next read based on your reading history, including books that are free for you to read from Kindle Unlimited or Prime Reading. You can also view reading accomplishments, like how many days in the past month you’ve read, as well as fun facts and tips so you can get the most out of your device.

Easily personalize your reading—Now save multiple reading settings, selecting the font, boldness level, and orientation settings you prefer all from the main menu and quickly switch between those settings.

The updated home experience, as well as the ability to quickly save and access reading settings, will be delivered as a free, over-the-air update to the all-new Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Paperwhite Gen 6 (released in 2013) and newer devices in the coming weeks.
No mention of Alexa, so those rumors appear to be false.

Last edited by jhowell; 10-16-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #24
eDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
I’m glad Amazon didn’t buy into that gimmick.
I think it's a gimmick to the extent that on the Kobos you can make the screen turn bright orange, but as some models of Kindle have quite a cool display temperature it would be nice to be able to warm it up just a little.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #25
Threepwood
Threepwood began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Does Audible Support mean it features Immersion Reading?
Threepwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #26
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
and here's the listing on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075QRWPPJ

I used the ASIN that JHowell found, and I give him kudos for that
And here the cheapest version:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07741S7Y8
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #27
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
It looks like they used the body of the Voyage without the haptic buttons. The edging looks identical. It’s nice, but not exciting for me. I have the Oasis 2 and am quite tempted by the Kobo Forma, so I was waiting to see what the new kindle would be like. I’m not surprised that it is an incremental upgrade. I am quite surprised that they still refuse to use a comfort light system. I imagine they are trying to perfect it to avoid the light issues that have plagued them in the past. It’s likely then that the next Oasis will have a comfort light, and that this feature will be reserved for the top specced model.

I think it’s a good solid upgrade to their top-selling reader and will appeal to its target market. I wasn’t expecting anything very exciting after seeing the giant bezel teaser pic last week.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It looks like a Waterproof Voyage without the buttons.

A nice incremental update. Good for those who don't already have a paperwhite, voyage or oasis.

I suppose the extra storage might appeal to some.

Alas for the Liquavista colour display that now appears to have been abandoned.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #29
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
It looks nice. Extra storage and waterproof, and audible with one extra led. All great for about the same price for the cheapest version. No mention of the battery size yet, just gives a warning about streaming audio will use more battery life. They didn't mention that before on the Oasis. Lol. I hope they kept the same size battery on the Paperwhite. I'll wait for longer term reviews on battery life.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #30
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threepwood View Post
Does Audible Support mean it features Immersion Reading?
No mention of that. It is most likely the same support as currently found in the Oasis and Basic models.