Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #226
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'm a little late to asking about it, but what do all of you think of the new nominating and voting that we started in July?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #227
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I like it better than I expected. I definitely like the new nomination process because it gets more books into the voting round. I'm indifferent to the voting process. The new way is fine, but I'd still be ok with multiple choice.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2016, 06:31 AM   #228
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I agree. I think the nomination process works very well. With the voting (as long as I can restrain myself!) I, like Bookworm_Girl, would be happy with either the old multiple choice system or this new one. At this stage the new system seems to have meant in practice that we don't have to have a run-off vote so often, but I don't know whether that will remain true in the longer term.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #229
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hadn't thought of that about run-offs, Bookpossum. It's a good point. Personally I really like this new way on both counts. It may seem counter-intuitive but voting by post instead of poll is actually easier for me. I can keep everything in one thread which I really like; I don't have to transfer the nominations to a new thread and be careful creating a poll and get the new thread stickied and the old thread released (and sometimes all this twice if there's a run-off).

The downsides that I can see are that it isn't as elegant and simple as a poll, and there is the possibility of mistakes while adding up votes. Nothing is perfect though and I'm willing to live with that.

Last edited by sun surfer; 11-06-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #230
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, it all seems to be working so far, and if it makes life simpler for you sun surfer, that is an added bonus. No point making work for the sake of it!
Advert
Old 12-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #231
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
May everyone in the Literary Bookclub have a very happy Holiday Season!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:52 AM   #232
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Thank you fantasyfan, and my best wishes to you and all the other members for Christmas and the New Year also.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #233
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to book club members. 2016 was a great year for book selections; many of the best books I read this year were from the Literary Book Club. I am looking forward to another great reading year in 2017.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #234
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I hope all of you had a happy holiday season and new year! I have a little announcement concerning the running of the club- I'll be having help from Bookpossum. As of now, she will make the discussion threads each month once a winner is announced. I will still take care of the nomination and voting threads. Also, should she ever need to make any announcements or such for the club, they will be 'official' the same as when I do. With our small group, I consider our club more of a collective than anything, but now I have a little help with its administration. Thanks, Bookpossum!
Old 01-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #235
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks, sun surfer! We appreciate all that you do for the club and your generous donation of your time. Thanks for helping with the administration, Bookpossum!

And, Happy New Year to everyone!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #236
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Thanks sun surfer and Bookworm_Girl. I'll do my best to keep up the standard of service!
Old 01-09-2017, 06:24 AM   #237
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Thanks Bookpossum for helping sun surfer and of course thanks sun surfer for all your work with the literary club.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #238
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Thanks Bookpossum for helping sun surfer and of course thanks sun surfer for all your work with the literary club.
Thanks Billi. Lovely to have you back with us!
Old 01-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #239
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Thank you Bookworm_Girl and Billi (and nice to see you around, Billi)!

I have another little announcement along the same line as the last- Bookpossum will also be helping out with asking for rotating nominations every other month, though I'll still be making the voting threads once we have our nominations. Again, thanks Bookpossum!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:33 PM   #240
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Hi everyone. This is just to let you know that sun surfer and I have been discussing how we might get a few more members for the club. With his agreement, I have now requested that we have a regular spot on the Home page, as the other Club has, and to start with, have sent a general "Do you know we exist?" sort of message, which Tom Sharpe is going to put up for us.

I'm then proposing to send him a message to appear on the first of the month to alert people that the nomination process is starting, and then a short notice around the eighth of the month when we have made a selection. I thought this could be useful for all of us, as well as to ensure that newer members know about us.

Do you have any other thoughts on how we might attract new members and/or try to get some previous members back with us again? All suggestions for increasing our membership will be welcome, and of course any other thoughts you may have on anything else to do with the Club.