Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 08-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
JasperGeh
JasperGeh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1, Kobo Aura One
Some (resolvable?) Issues

Hey people

Firstly, huge thanks to everyone working on KOreader, it's really amazing what you built.

I have a new Kobo Aura One with KOreader (v2015.11-1800-somethingsomething_2018-07-29) but there remain, however, a couple of issues with styling/rendering, footnotes, dictionaries, and column view, which make me consider switching but might be solvable. As the KA1 is brand new I can still easily return it, if some of the issues are not resolvable.
  1. Styling: Some pages get rendered without formatting. Both Calibre's ePub reader, Kobo's Nickel reader and my old Paperwhite display the page as intended (Pic 1), with KOreader it is unformatted (Pic 2). Any idea why? I played around in the menus a bit, but it didn't change.
  2. Footnotes: Is there a possibility to enable pop-up footnotes instead of jumping to the Notes-section? I find switching back or enabling the backswipe to be awkward. Also: It a miracle if it registers the tap on the footnote at all. Unfortunatly, Nickel is also bad at this, only Kindle handles this really consistantly.
  3. Dictionaries: The stardicts I found and downloaded don't have particularly pretty formatting (Pic 3). Is this a dictionary issue and can I get better formatted dicts?
  4. Column view: I thought I saw a toggle for dual column view on a screenshot once, but I can't seem to switch to two columns when reading in landscape (or portrait). This would be nice, though! Am I missing something?

A huge already!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-06 um 12.48.52.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	165458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reader_2018-Aug-06_141929.png
Views:	323
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	165459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reader_2018-Aug-06_142233.png
Views:	378
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	165460  
JasperGeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
1. @poire-z might have some ideas on that front, provided you show some code (because psychic debugging is hard ^^) .

2. IIRC, no. But you can enable swipe gestures to make it less cumbersome in the Links menu (first icon of the top menu).

And it's apparently widely known that the touch input on the KA1 is terrible. But even on devices where it supposedly works decently enough, it's miles behind a Kindle.

3. Probably? ^^

4. PDF only, AFAIK.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
JasperGeh

1. Alright. What exactly is needed? The corresponding part of the ebook?

2. Well, shucks. I have swipe enabled and it's bad. It's so bad compared to my Paperwhite and I often read footnote-heavy books...Might make the switch back after all.

4. Okay, good to know
Old 08-07-2018, 04:07 AM   #4
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
1. KOReader use a default and minimal stylesheet to style thing. This is applied before the embedded stylesheet. So you can try to disable or reenable the embedded stylesheet (bottom menu, cog , embedded style on / off) and see what you get. It would be interesting to have the book or at least the some text pages and the css file (use calibre edit book to get them).

3. you can open your stardict file in a text editor and do a lot of style inside it or you can use a lua file to do it (go for a search on github, there is at least one closed issue with that). Also, you can enable the rendering of the html if there is some inside your stardict file ; but it will display only if it's correct html. So, you're bound to edit your files anyway. The picture you provided shows clearly a bad html file (for mupdf) rendered as text.

4. With your ka1, you can switch in two colom if you are in landscape mode. You just have to edit a value in the advance options. I can tell you the way of doing it if you are interested.

Last edited by cramoisi; 08-07-2018 at 04:19 AM.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
JasperGeh

1. I tried that toggle, but it didn't change anything. I opened the Calibre Editor and pretty much understood nothing. Not sure if I'm ready to dive into the deep end of html/css editing Anyway, you find the book attached, hopefully you see something.

3. I'll look into github and otherwise let it rest. I can't really teach myself ebooks atm

4. That would be great, thanks!
Old 08-08-2018, 03:46 AM   #6
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
@JasperGeh : to landscape two cols, you could do that :

from file browser, top menu, tools, advance settings, ok, DCEREADER_TWO_PAGE_THRESHOLD, set the value to 6, quit and reboot koreader (it will ask if you want to save just before quitting koreader, you'll say yes, of course).

Next boot, when you put a epub in landscape mode, it will be displayed in two "columns" (it will be two pages, in fact). But I like it a lot on my ka1.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #7
danielr
Enthusiast
danielr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Is it possible to see a single column in landscape mode? I always get in two.
danielr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #8
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Sure, just change the value mentioned in the post right above you to something higher.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
column settings, dictionaries, footnotes, styling