Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2006, 12:50 PM   #31
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
After getting my Viking 256MB SD card and formatting it to FAT32 for the heck of it (from FAT), it seems to work well with the PDFs (and a text files) that had not worked so well on my Kingston 256MB SD.

I suppose I'm happy, but that's only cause I had multiple cards to use...I feel for those who only have one card specifically for the Reader, only to find that it doesn't work correctly.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #32
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
We should collect the findings on working and non-working memory cards in the Wiki.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony_Reader_Memorycards
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2006, 06:14 AM   #33
njt
Enthusiast
njt began at the beginning.

hmmm anyone have a problem with the connect software not being able to start when the sd card is in the device? because as long as my SD card is out of it, it will start... in, and it just hangs...
njt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:45 AM   #34
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
No problems for me when the sd card is in the device.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:35 AM   #35
njt
Enthusiast

hmmm it might be because I have a 1GB one, with lots of folders and what not in it. I'll try deleting most of the files and see if that fixes it . (Thanks bob)
and that's what it was^^; Apparently having 400MB of music files and 200 jpg images kinda makes it freak out

Last edited by njt; 10-20-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Advert
Old 10-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #36
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have a lot on the card, I know it is pretty slow to catalog the books on it, so it might seem like it's hanging. Might do something similar reading the card from the desktop Connect software. Have you tried waiting an exagerated long time (e.g. 30mins) to be very sure it's hanging? Is there an animated "busy" sign somewhere?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #37
njt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
If you have a lot on the card, I know it is pretty slow to catalog the books on it, so it might seem like it's hanging. Might do something similar reading the card from the desktop Connect software. Have you tried waiting an exagerated long time (e.g. 30mins) to be very sure it's hanging? Is there an animated "busy" sign somewhere?
Hmmm well at the time it would show the top bar (part with the minimize/maximize/close button) but everything else would be white). I didn't wait longer than 8 minutes before manually force closing the program (was sure to send the error as well )

The thing is, if it's going to take *that* long to open I'll gladly just use my laptop's built in memory card slot and transfer books via that, and when connecting the book to the pc to make sure the SD card is out of it.

Hopefully they can work on the indexing speed....
Old 10-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #38
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

No, it's not usually nearly that long. I was just hoping that your particular huge set of files was the issue. Maybe try a nearly empty card to see if the contents is the issue. (Maybe there's a file the Reader thinks is a book and get's confused while indexing?)
Old 10-21-2006, 12:25 PM   #39
njt
Enthusiast

Quote:
No, it's not usually nearly that long. I was just hoping that your particular huge set of files was the issue. Maybe try a nearly empty card to see if the contents is the issue. (Maybe there's a file the Reader thinks is a book and get's confused while indexing?)
ah yes, (guess I didn't make it too clear when I edited my post up above) But yeah, having a nearly empty card did the trick . Hopefully that problem will be fixed~ but it's not too important (just was using my cell phone's mini SD card and it had a bunch of various info in it....
Old 11-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #40
lensman
lensman doesn't litterlensman doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500
I've updated the wiki page with the info in this thread up to this post.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony_Reader_Memorycards
lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:51 PM   #41
MRMcGuire
MRMcGuire began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
...don't give up. If you reformat the card using your PC, it may restore it to full utility. I've had this situation in the past on a variety of cards that I tend to move from unit to unit, camera to PC, MP3 to GPS, etc. So far, reformatting has always fully restored the cards. (You will however lose any data on the card, if you are reusing an existing card.)
MRMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:00 AM   #42
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
SanDisk Extreme III works

I've had total success with a 1GB SanDisk Extreme III SD card in both of our Sony readers. It's a 133x card, and seems to allow the reader to be pretty zippy at locating and re-paginating content. The reader took well under a minute to identify 300 books on the card, and paginates a big one (David Weber's "War of Honor") in about 30 seconds. I guess faster SD cards really DO make a difference!

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #43
zibbler
zibbler began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I'd agree with the statements about the flimsyness of the memory card door. However, for $30 for a 2 gig SD card, I was just planning on buying one and leaving it in there until 4 gig ones get cheap enough. I'll probably just load it using the sony connect software.
zibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #44
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

I don't think we have any definitive answer yet about whether the Sony Reader works with 4gig SD cards... that requires FAT32 and specifically 4gig compatibility. It also would take a long time to index if there's a lot on the card.

I did try my 4gig card in it and I know it can read from it (does that at least mean it supports FAT32?), but I didn't check to see if it could read all 4gig, or just the 2gig portion.

I've got a 1gig card in mine, but what a waste. I basically don't put any books on it unless I want the option of deleting books away from my computer. (I can do that by popping the SD card into my Treo and managing the files there.)

I like just having a short book list, so I keep it pretty clean.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:38 PM   #45
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
It also would take a long time to index if there's a lot on the card.

I did try my 4gig card in it and I know it can read from it (does that at least mean it supports FAT32?), but I didn't check to see if it could read all 4gig, or just the 2gig portion.
SD HC (4GB capacity) is a new protocol, my understanding is that if you can insert it and read it, then you've got SD HC as otherwise you see nothing.

But I haven't tried one yet myself. I bought a 4GB Sandisk Extreme III CF for my iLiad because I knew it wouldn't do SD HC.

I've been examining a MS DUO full of BBeBook created ebooks and I'm examining it with an eye to being able to pre-index/pre-paginate for the Sony Reader on a computer with a few more 0's behind it.

More as I make progress (in between my iLiad projects.)
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote