Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-24-2017, 01:12 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've never heard that expression before .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #47
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Umbrella?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
That was what I was thinking until I saw Harry's post.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #48
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I'm puzzled at how stepping on a loose paving stone can make your feet wet. They usually trip me up, whatever I have on my feet. It must have been raining anyway for a puddle (if that's what it is) to form, so without a "portable roof" I'd be wet anyway.

Confused.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I'm puzzled at how stepping on a loose paving stone can make your feet wet. They usually trip me up, whatever I have on my feet. It must have been raining anyway for a puddle (if that's what it is) to form, so without a "portable roof" I'd be wet anyway.

Confused.
I can explain that one . The drive in my garden is paved, and one of the paving slabs is loose. When it rains, the water gets underneath it and if you subsequently stand on it, your weight makes the slab rock, which forces out the trapped water at high pressure through the cracks between the slabs, meaning that if you're wearing sandals you end up with very wet feet .

Last edited by HarryT; 07-24-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #50
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for explaining that, Harry. I usually go flying before I get wet, and I end up grazed, sore, wondering if I've broken something (premature osteoporosis).

Looks like it's going to pour down on wednesday - my birthday (not fishing for congrats etc). I sometimes have internet "unbirthdays" to deter identity fraud. On FB it's a month early!
Oh for yesteryear when summers were hot and we could sit outside reading/writing, leaning against little beanbags.

Sigh .....
Advert
Old 07-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #51
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The loose paving slab that gets water underneath it that squirts all over you when you step on it has a name. It's a "Beau Trap".

"Treading in a beau trap while in the act of gaily advancing your foot, to make a bow to some charming woman of your acquaintance whom you suddenly meet, and to whom you liberally impact a share of the jet d'eau."
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The loose paving slab that gets water underneath it that squirts all over you when you step on it has a name. It's a "Beau Trap".
I never knew that. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #53
BookCat
C L J

"Beau Trap" is such a romantic term. Thank you enlightening us. I don't remember the last time a man was caught out this way bowing to me .... sigh ....
Old 07-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #54
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

Confused.
Actually, it wasn't a paving stone. The rural rail station I use has a number of anti-slip mats screwed to the ground at the entrances / exits. This particular one is rather spongy to walk on (I think there may be a sheet of plywood underneath), and is slightly raked, and as a result water collects under it when it rains. Step on the wrong place, and you have the modern equivalent of a 'Beau trap' as the water squirts out from under the edge.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bean bag, comfort, reading in garden