Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Just ordered PW3

As above just ordered PS3 on Prime Day deal at £89.99 (no adverts) as UG for my PW2 hoping screen resolution / clarity approaches that of wife's KV. Would have gone for KV but hate origami cover and never seen 3rd party cover I like.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post
As above just ordered PS3 on Prime Day deal at £89.99 (no adverts) as UG for my PW2 hoping screen resolution / clarity approaches that of wife's KV. Would have gone for KV but hate origami cover and never seen 3rd party cover I like.
Even at its usual price, the PW-3 is (in my opinion) the best device for the money.
And not only my opinion, Amazon claims it is its most popular model ever.

Amazon-Mexico, Amazon-USA, and Amazon-UK now has them on sale at nearly the price of the 'Kindle Basic'.
A heck of a deal for anyone shopping for an e-reader.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
i was thinking on get a pw3 too...
the actual version can be rooted?
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
i was thinking on get a pw3 too...
the actual version can be rooted?
Not sure until you get it.
As of last week, maybe. If it doesn't update.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Paperwhite is my favorite, too. I had a Voyage but in addition to your points, I found it to be a little too small and delicate for my clumsy hands. The Paperwhite in the Kindle case is perfect for me.

I'm hoping Amazon puts the Voyage screen and lights in a Paperwhite. It would also be nice if it had a USB-C port and rapid charge. And I swear that Kindles notify people I'm reading and my phone keeps ringing and Jehovah's Witnesses keep knocking.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #6
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
The paperwhite has changed my reading life entirely. I enjoy it more than any other reader.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:43 AM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My PW3 is White... it has Blue lights instead of white cool & easy on the eyes!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
My PW3 is White... it has Blue lights instead of white cool & easy on the eyes!
I,m with Batman "does it come in black" 😀
Should arrive tomorrow, will post initial thoughts.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
I,m with Batman "does it come in black" ��
Should arrive tomorrow, will post initial thoughts.

Hi, would you be willing to help with some research when you do get it?

1. Tell us the software version that it has on it when you get it? You can find this in settings.
1.a ( you can prevent wifi updates by putting it in airplane mode, or putting a *folder* name "update.bin.tmp.partial" on the root of the kindle over usb. You will need to do this if you want a chance at jailbreaking right now.

2. Consider telling us wether the jailbreak will work on your device right out of the box. You can do this without actually running the jailbreak, I have some instructions for that if you are willing.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #10
happysnapper22
Connoisseur

Didn't arrive today, being delivered to local post office and suspect it's bee dispatched via royal mail (I'm a share holder and think the service is crap). If arrives tomorrow will post info on out of box firmware but I have no interest in. Jailbreaking. If it fails to arrive tomorrow it won't get collected and will just go back.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Didn't arrive today, being delivered to local post office and suspect it's bee dispatched via royal mail (I'm a share holder and think the service is crap). If arrives tomorrow will post info on out of box firmware but I have no interest in. Jailbreaking. If it fails to arrive tomorrow it won't get collected and will just go back.
Just having the out-of-box information on the firmware version and (build id) it was shipped with will be a help.

There has been what seems to be conflicting information that we are trying to sort out.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:37 AM   #12
happysnapper22
Connoisseur

Firmware version I can find but where is the "build ID" is this the number in brackets after the firmware version?
Old 07-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #13
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post

I'm hoping Amazon puts the Voyage screen and lights in a Paperwhite.
They have the same screen, 300 ppi Carta on both. Do you just mean the glass over the screen? I have a feeling that all Amazon will do is shrink the bezel if they release a new PW.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Firmware version I can find but where is the "build ID" is this the number in brackets after the firmware version?
Exactly.

I tried to show that by writing: (build id)
Maybe I should have written: [build id] or {build id} or "build id".
But whatever the decoration, yes that number please.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #15
happysnapper22
Connoisseur

Arrived today. Quite how the post office can take 2 days to ship from one of their main sort offices to a Post Office is beyond me but that's another story...

Out of the box info - device has had NO opportunity to connect to WiFi.

Firmware 5 . 8 . 9 . 0 . 1 (3175970011)

Memory 2850Mb.

Hope that helps those trying to figure stuff out.

Looks like memory had had a boost against my PW2 S that's showing 1062Mb but obviously that's with some content loaded on it.

On charge at the moment so not used, will post back with knowledge thoughts over next few days.

Last edited by happysnapper22; 07-14-2017 at 10:43 AM.