Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #1426
Sunny66
Sunny66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Gen 8 (KT3)
Sorry I cannot reply to your questions quite yet. I am not near my kindle while at work but I will definitely document all the steps and the links once I get back.

Thanks for all the support.
I'll get back to you later today.
Sunny66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #1427
Sunny66

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your description does not make any sense to me.
You must have left out some steps that you took.

So start over, post a link to the directions you where following and the link to the firmware you used to 'downgrade' your 5.8.9 firmware (which should not have been possible, unless ... )

I.E: We fix your kindle before deciding how you are going to maintain your collections.
(Which is sort of hard to do on a broken Kindle.)

Okay, I am back on my computer again.
Here are the actual steps I took:

1. Downgrade FW. My original FW (this is a new kindle) was 5.8.9_3164610017. Here is the link to where I did this
https://www.ereader-palace.com/downg...n-2016-method/.
Once I was done, I can now see my downgraded FW is 5.8.0 (2976190044) - according to the kindle details.

2. Jailbreak my kindle. https://www.ereader-palace.com/how-t...e-2016-method/
step 12 in these instructions asks me to install KUAL and MRPI but to upgrade FW first. I cannot get it to upgrade my firmware anymore - the option to update your kindle is greyed out and I cannot select it in settings.
I did get a file created on my kindle saying the jailbreak was successful.

3. When I couldn't upgrade my FW back, I just tried to see if CollectionsManager (downloaded from this site) would work. That is where I now get the error message that it is not compatable with this version of FW.

Note: I have not tried to install KUAL and MRPI yet. That might be part of the problem.

Also note: I have not connected back to the internet since starting this process. None of this has been uploaded to Amazon through a sync yet.

S/N of my Kindle: G000 K905...

Does this help?

Also, located in California USA

Last edited by Sunny66; 07-11-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: forgot something
Advert
Old 07-11-2017, 11:02 PM   #1428
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny66 View Post
Okay, I am back on my computer again.
Here are the actual steps I took:

1. Downgrade FW. My original FW (this is a new kindle) was 5.8.9_3164610017. Here is the link to where I did this
https://www.ereader-palace.com/downg...n-2016-method/.
Once I was done, I can now see my downgraded FW is 5.8.0 (2976190044) - according to the kindle details.

2. Jailbreak my kindle. https://www.ereader-palace.com/how-t...e-2016-method/
step 12 in these instructions asks me to install KUAL and MRPI but to upgrade FW first. I cannot get it to upgrade my firmware anymore - the option to update your kindle is greyed out and I cannot select it in settings.
I did get a file created on my kindle saying the jailbreak was successful.

3. When I couldn't upgrade my FW back, I just tried to see if CollectionsManager (downloaded from this site) would work. That is where I now get the error message that it is not compatable with this version of FW.

Note: I have not tried to install KUAL and MRPI yet. That might be part of the problem.

Also note: I have not connected back to the internet since starting this process. None of this has been uploaded to Amazon through a sync yet.

S/N of my Kindle: G000 K905...

Does this help?

Also, located in California USA
First question:
Since you got into this situation by following the instructions posted on some other site, why are you not getting your support from that site?

Second question:
I can find no "Step 12" at the link given.

So read the actual instructions (don't try to do them, just familarize yourself with them):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

= = =

You have all of that handy, in the back of your mind to serve as reference material . . .
Let us see if we can recover your Kindle:

From your post, you are still running the firmware built to be used ONLY on the production line for in-factory testing.
Nothing here has ever been intended to run on anything other than firmware built and released for customer use.

I do not see where you installed the update bridging code (the 'hotfix' package) in your description.
1) go to this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597
Follow the directions in that post to install the package found inside of the archive attached to that post.

2) Install (create) the 'blocker directory' in the top of visible USB storage:
update.bin.tmp.partial
no other extension, all lower case

3) Down load this Amazon firmware update (the most recent that can still be jailbroken):
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow..._5.8.7.0.1.bin
Follow the usual Amazon directions for install it.

if your UYK menu selection is grayed out -
STOP - DO NOTHING ELSE
just post what you have done and what the results where of each step right here.

Last edited by knc1; 07-11-2017 at 11:06 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:25 PM   #1429
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny66 View Post
1. Downgrade FW. My original FW (this is a new kindle) was 5.8.9_3164610017.

If you are not mistaken on your original firmware, could you try to confirm somethign else?

Do you know if that's what firmware was on the device when you opened the box?

If you aren't mistaken, this could be potentially good new for people who get 5.8.9.X from the factory.

When you normally try to downgrade a PW3 from 5.8.9.X for 5.7.4 ( thats what I have to test with ), you get an error message in the log file like this. I'm making a reasonable assumption that KOA and KT3 ( Kindle 8 ) and all others would have a similar message.

Code:
Cannot apply FB02 bundle on top of FB03 bundle
( These are the file formats of the update_5.8.0 and update_5.8.9.x bin files you can download from amazon ).

My first guess on how this happens is if the factory ships 5.8.9, it is not being registered in the kernel as that FB03 bundle type, still allowing downgrades, since that device is probably programmed a different way than applying the same .bin file we have.

If this hunch is correct, this is still only people who get it fresh out of the box like that, and doesnt help anyone who has done a wireless or USB update.

I wonder if it is possible that amazon has release a new set of factory initial firmware, that had the same benefits and drawbacks, and some people are getting them. Since there no 5.8.9 download from amazon directly, just 5.8.9.2.

Last edited by coplate; 07-11-2017 at 11:32 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #1430
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first report was about an Amazon.com.mx device.
This report is (supposedly) about an Amazon.com (usa) device.
The O.P. gave his location, not where it was purchased from.

It could be that the patch to prevent the factory test packages from being installed was left out of the image the factory is using. That it is only in the downloadable builds.

There is an unavoidable long delay in getting something new into the production path and having it show up in the devices in-stock at the retailers.
That long trip by slow boat from China doesn't help.
Advert
Old 07-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #1431
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
If you are not mistaken on your original firmware, could you try to confirm somethign else?

Do you know if that's what firmware was on the device when you opened the box?

If you aren't mistaken, this could be potentially good new for people who get 5.8.9.X from the factory.

When you normally try to downgrade a PW3 from 5.8.9.X for 5.7.4 ( thats what I have to test with ), you get an error message in the log file like this. I'm making a reasonable assumption that KOA and KT3 ( Kindle 8 ) and all others would have a similar message.

Code:
Cannot apply FB02 bundle on top of FB03 bundle
( These are the file formats of the update_5.8.0 and update_5.8.9.x bin files you can download from amazon ).

My first guess on how this happens is if the factory ships 5.8.9, it is not being registered in the kernel as that FB03 bundle type, still allowing downgrades, since that device is probably programmed a different way than applying the same .bin file we have.

If this hunch is correct, this is still only people who get it fresh out of the box like that, and doesnt help anyone who has done a wireless or USB update.

I wonder if it is possible that amazon has release a new set of factory initial firmware, that had the same benefits and drawbacks, and some people are getting them. Since there no 5.8.9 download from amazon directly, just 5.8.9.2.
Hmm. Would it be possible to relabel or rebundle the downgrade package to be acceptable to the FB03 flagged units? Obviously I have no idea what that would involve, but it might provide a route to JB the newer units.

Dave
dhdurgee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #1432
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Hmm. Would it be possible to relabel or rebundle the downgrade package to be acceptable to the FB03 flagged units? Obviously I have no idea what that would involve, but it might provide a route to JB the newer units.

Dave
Are the first four characters of the package included in the signed checksum?
If not, just hex edit them to one of the other package types.

The only change I have seen (so far) is that they took 'FB03' out of the acceptable package types case statement.
That is the package type used by the initial (load to anything) factory firmware packages.

Hmm...
Just hexedit the '3' to a '2' (or something else) and see if the signature check still passes.

Last edited by knc1; 07-12-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #1433
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are the first four characters of the package included in the signed checksum?
If not, just hex edit them to one of the other package types.

The only change I have seen (so far) is that they took 'FB03' out of the acceptable package types case statement.
That is the package type used by the initial (load to anything) factory firmware packages.

Hmm...
Just hexedit the '3' to a '2' (or something else) and see if the signature check still passes.

The FB02 and FB03 appear to have a different header layout, so it doesn't suffice to just change the type.

I don't have the details handy, but it might be possible. On an SP01 file, the signature only applies to the data that come after the signature.

I haven't looked at the signatures inside an FB02 or FB03 file, to see where the start and end, but the short version is that a signature cannot include itself, there could be other protections though.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #1434
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
The FB02 and FB03 appear to have a different header layout, so it doesn't suffice to just change the type.

I don't have the details handy, but it might be possible. On an SP01 file, the signature only applies to the data that come after the signature.

I haven't looked at the signatures inside an FB02 or FB03 file, to see where the start and end, but the short version is that a signature cannot include itself, there could be other protections though.
And then again, I might have sent you down another blind alley.
I suppose you are already aware of that possibility.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:15 PM   #1435
Sunny66

knc1, I am really sorry, but I want to make sure I do this right.
In step 2 you say to
2) Install (create) the 'blocker directory' in the top of visible USB storage:
update.bin.tmp.partial
no other extension, all lower case

You just want me to create a folder in the root directory of my kindle named update.bin.tmp.partial and not put anything in it?

To answer your other questions -
Question 1:
I was following the instructions and then when I got into trouble, I noticed their comments were not recent or being responded to. So I found your site. You guys seem much more helpful and I was hoping to fix a bad decision on my part.

Question 2:
My apologies, step 3 item #12
Kindle Oasis and Kindle Touch 3 users please install two extensions: KUAL and MRPI, they are required for all your following experience after jailbreaking. And please update to new firmware before installing these two extensions, as all hack plugins and extensions need to install again after firmware updating.

I not only live in the US but I bought this through Amazon USA as well.

Forgive me for being stupid/crazy, but if this doesn't work, I do have a backup file of the full (visible) kindle drive before I started anything. I can revert back to that to start over, but I am unsure if there were hidden directories/files that I didn't copy over. Just an option if you think that would be easier and then just start the downgrade, jailbreak, upgrade, install CollectionsManager all over again.

=======
Update to this post, I have successfully completed the 3 steps you provided now. I am running FW 5.8.7.0.1.
I was able to UYK just fine.

I am not sure what my next step is to get Collections Manager to work. I have not installed any KUAL or MRPI packages yet.

Last edited by Sunny66; 07-13-2017 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-12-2017, 11:34 PM   #1436
coplate
Guru

The file 'update.bin.tmp.partial' is meant to stop amazon from updating you to 5.8.9.2, where this may not keep working.

I'm not knc1, but I dont understnad what you mean by step 3 item 12, looking back at knc1's post.

In the main jailbreak thread, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

Step 4 is to install the vulnerable Amazon OS
Step 5 is to install the actual jailbreak
Step 6 is to install the feature that lets the jailbreak stay after updates.
Step 7 is to update to a regular consumer firmware again.

The rest of the steps are things that are meant to help you understand what is happening, and to help prepare yourself and the device to get things in the right setup.

OK, I read back, and you are still talking about step 12 from the other site. This is step 8 in the first post I linked.

Quote:
8. All of the models covered in this thread must use one of the two following installation methods for update_*.bin name format packages.
The KOA and KT3 owners must use the new installation methods.
The other device models may use either the old or the new installation methods.
  1. Any of our after-market add-ins, with an update_*.bin format filename requires the use of the Mobileread Package Installer (MrPI).
    • Get the MR Package Installer from the KUAL and KUAL extensions section of:
      https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
    • This is an "un-archive to top level of visible USB storage" package.
      Be sure that the un-archive tool you use has options set to create directories.
    • KOA and KT3 owners:
      You must run the installer with your new, search bar command: ;log mrpi
      Other models covered in this thread may do the same or may run it from KUAL.
  2. Nearly all of our after-market add-ins require an application launcher.
    • Get the KUAL package from the KUAL and KUAL extensions section of:
      https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
    • Beginning with version 2.6.40 of the release, the archive contains three (3) different builds of KUAL.
      The 'keyboard' version, the '(old) touchscreen' version, and the new 'KOA, KT3' version.
    • This is not a substitute for reading the README.txt file included in the archive bundle, but ...
      • KOA and KT3 owners:
        You must use the update_*.bin format package of KUAL and you must use the MrPi installer to install it.
      • Other devices:
        The archive still contains the previous 'document' style of KUAL, used by just placing the (correct) KUAL document into the /documents folder of USB storage.
        Note: The new (update_*.bin format KUAL) will run on all touchscreen devices running firmware 5.1.2 or newer.
    • "Nearly all applications require an application launcher" - I was expecting someone to ask . . . .
      KUAL is one of the applications that does not required an application launcher.
      It has a mime type associated with it that tells the system how to run it, when it is selected.

These update_*.bin package name format packages must be re-installed after each firmware update.
The MrPI application can handle multiple update_*.bin packages at the same time, just put them all in /mrpackages and trigger MrPI.[/list]
So I would say you need to do these

A. Confirm you have installed the "hotfix", using the instructions on this site from step 6, this will keep the jailbreak when you upgrade.
B. Update your kindle from 5.8.0 ( factory ) to one of the version in step 7 form the linked software jailbreak thread.
C. Install MRPI by extracting that tar file to the root of your kindle plugged in over usb.
D. In the search box type ';log mrpi'
E. Put the update_kual_bookelt.bin ( spelling not accurate ) into <kindle>\mrpackages
F: run again In the search box type ';log mrpi'
G-?: for this addon, now that you have KUAL installed, you can put the bin in <kindle>\mrpackages, and use the kual helper mrpi installer.

Last edited by coplate; 07-12-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:35 PM   #1437
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Sunny that is not a folder but a program. Yes type it exactly where and how knc1 says too.
Yes step 12 is correct.
@coplate she got the directions from a different site. So she was answering knc1's question.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #1438
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny66
Forgive me for being stupid/crazy, but if this doesn't work, I do have a backup file of the full (visible) kindle drive before I started anything. I can revert back to that to start over, but I am unsure if there were hidden directories/files that I didn't copy over. Just an option if you think that would be easier and then just start the downgrade, jailbreak, upgrade, install CollectionsManager all over again.
Which will not do what you expect at all.

What is exported of the file system tree, that to the user is visible USB storage, is a microscopic fraction of the entire file system.
And it contains nothing that will effect the behavior (or misbehavior) of the system.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:37 AM   #1439
restinginlove
Enthusiast
restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Clara HD
De-lurking for the first time in a long, long time. I've been playing around with my PW3 to give it some of the features I love about my Glo HD and make it a better backup reader. I have successfully jailbroken, have KAUL and MKK, have the Kindle Collections plugin ready, and used the latest patched version of Collections Manager in the thread (I am running firmware 5.8.10 - could it just be that because the latest patch was for 5.8.10?). However, I still get "Unexpected error" (not "your firmware isn't supported", just "unexpected error") whenever I try to launch CM. I've attached the crash log as a text file, if anyone can help me troubleshoot? I'm sure it's user error but I'm not sure what else to check!

Thank you!
restinginlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #1440
ADambi
Enthusiast
ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.ADambi has never been to obedience school.

Device: PW2 5.4.5.1
Quote:
just "unexpected error"
Probably firmware 5.8.1 was loaded...
Support for 5.8.10 added, untested.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 0019-Support-for-firmware-5.8.10.patch.zip (4.7 KB, 236 views)
File Type: azw2 CollectionsManager.azw2 (658.5 KB, 230 views)
ADambi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks