Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
rolgiati
Groupie
rolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Several Kindle 3 KB's
Disappointed by Kindle 3 Keyboard

In less than a year, I have already had four K3keyboard die on me, all with display problems.

Is this particular to the K3keyboard, and if so which one(s) are deemed more robust ?
rolgiati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I've had two, both with no problems. One is now used by my 8-year old granddaughter.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am sorry to hear that. I have had three different Kindles and none of them have died on me. My K1 hasn't been used in a while but was chugging along fine. The K3 is aver a yeard old and works great as does my DXG.

I get that does not help you. I think you have had a string of bad luck. Have you been working with Kindle Customer Service regarding this?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
rolgiati
Groupie
rolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I think you have had a string of bad luck. Have you been working with Kindle Customer Service regarding this?
Yes, and they told me that they are"sure you will be satisfied with the next replacement kindle device and will be able to use it without any issues."
Strangely, this does not reassure me completely....
Old 03-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Did the screens get broken, or were they defective in some way? If broken, that is not the device's fault.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
rolgiati
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Did the screens get broken, or were they defective in some way? If broken, that is not the device's fault.
Not broken; just that parts of the screens had stopped working when I restarted the K3.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolgiati View Post
Yes, and they told me that they are"sure you will be satisfied with the next replacement kindle device and will be able to use it without any issues."
Strangely, this does not reassure me completely....
After three bum ones, I can understand why you are not reassured. Hang in there. You will get one that works.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If parts of the screen don't work, that sounds like a broken substrate in the screen. Probably due to pressure, etc.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolgiati View Post
Not broken; just that parts of the screens had stopped working when I restarted the K3.
Yeah, sounds very much like a broken eink screen. That's how they fail when cracked... sections will update and others won't.

I've had my Kindle Keyboard for almost 1.5 years now, carry it with me every single day in my backpack, in my panniers while riding my bike, in my dry bags on my kayak, carry it around the house all day, lost it on the train and had somebody break the metal tabs on the case messing with it (i.e. rough handling), got it back, and it still works.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
My mothers kindle started behaving oddly (would reboot every 10 minutes and lose bookmarks etc.)

After a couple of hours with kindle support they agreed to send a new one but didn't.

A week later I called back and they did send a new one with only one hour discussion troubleshooting.

It came the next day (Texas to Canada) which was amazing. The replacement has been fine.

After 4 failures at getting a working kindle I would suggest asking for a refund/credit and buying a newer model.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have a K2 & K3 and haven't had any problems with them. As others have said, it sounds like the substrate is somehow being broken.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A fractured screen substrate is caused by user abuse. If you've broken four of them in a year, you're not treating the device with the care it needs. You need to treat it carefully - there's a thin layer of glass underneath the outer plastic screen.

A decent case is essential. What sort of case are you using?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
rolgiati
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A decent case is essential. What sort of case are you using?
Using from the start an Incipio NGP case.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I don't have a Kindle but IA with the others. It sounds as there may something that you're doing that is causing the screen to break. You're using a case. Do you place your Kindle anywhere where pressure might be exerted on the screen? For instance, do you place the Kindle in a backpack full of books or in a pocket? With e-ink readers, you have to be really careful in how you handle them.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
rolgiati
Groupie

I thank all who responded for their kind help; but my original query remains unanswered:
Is it known whether some type(s) of Kindle are more fragile than others ?
TIA