Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
marielle
marielle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Sony 505
SD card made "read only" by the Kindle

I have decided to sell my Kindle (check out Sacramento Craigslist if you are interested). Anyway, I thought I would lower the price I'm asking by keeping the SD card but it looks like the only device that can write to this card is the Kindle itself.

Is this SD card now permanently owned by the Kindle? When I put the card in my PC, I can't seem to change the permissions or do anything with it.
marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Read/write is a hardware switch on one edge of the card. I don't see how the Kindle could change it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
marielle

I didn't know there was a switch on SD cards but after cycling the switch off and on, I can't seem to reproduce the problem I was having.

Whatever...I must be crazy.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:31 AM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by marielle View Post
I have decided to sell my Kindle (check out Sacramento Craigslist if you are interested). Anyway, I thought I would lower the price I'm asking by keeping the SD card but it looks like the only device that can write to this card is the Kindle itself.

Is this SD card now permanently owned by the Kindle? When I put the card in my PC, I can't seem to change the permissions or do anything with it.
Marielle,

Are you the one out of Roseville listing it for $800+!!! If so, such a deal!!! not.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, if there are people willing to buy for this price, why not?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Well, if there are people willing to buy for this price, why not?
But of course!

Yeah... I went into Amazon to see what I could see and, lo and behold, at 11PM (my time) someone had just started a 1-day listing at $0.99! So I bid on it. By this morning (6:30AM) it had skyrocketed up to $395 and right now, with 11 hours left, it's holding at $430. Gotta love the artificiality of Christmas 'demand' outstripping 'supply'.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
marielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Marielle,

Are you the one out of Roseville listing it for $800+!!! If so, such a deal!!! not.

Derek
I never said it was a "deal". In any case, I moved the listing from craigslist to ebay. I checked the Kindles on ebay yesterday and noticed that, even at that price, mine was the lowest priced "Buy it Now" in the country (not counting people who were selling Kindles they hadn't even received). I suddenly had this horrible feeling that someone might actually buy it and I would have to give up my Kindle. I took it off ebay and it is no longer for sale.

Marielle
Old 12-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
rho1640
rho1640 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by marielle View Post
I suddenly had this horrible feeling that someone might actually buy it and I would have to give up my Kindle. I took it off ebay and it is no longer for sale.

Marielle
Your post above made me smile this morning - that is exactly something I would do - so I am guessing you are enjoying your Kindle - I can't wait for mine to get here. I actually have a countdown widget on my desktop for it.
rho1640 is offline   Reply With Quote