Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
I my Star Trek. I have since I was a 5 year old when my dad and I would watch the TOS, I used to record all TNG on Beta Max and by the Voyager videos.

You can mock me if you wish but I will warn you I am 6ft 2 and my daughters call me "The Tubby Viking" ;D

Anywho...A while back (b.k.)* I looked into buying some Trek books but as they were as rare as rocking horse poo the chance of me convincing my wifey to fork out £50 (Sterling) was slim to not at all for a Voyager novel. Now however I have a Kindle and the prices skim the £5 mark YAY!

I don't want to by junk so I am looking for a few good Trek Novels. Can anyone recommend a few to start with (first up for me btw is Voyager: Homecoming)

* Before Kindle
My suggestion is to grab all the Voyager books from that point on and all the TNG books that take place after the movies. Also grab all the Titan books. And grab all the non-series specific books such as Destiny and Typhon Pact.

Now, read them in chronological order as this will help out the most. There are events in the different series that are interlinked and you won't just want to read one series only. You'll want to read them all in order because this will make the most sense.

I'll see about getting a list of the books and the correct order.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
One series I'd recommend is "Star Trek: New Frontier." It is set in the time of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" but has the feel of the Original Series. Although various characters from the other series make an appearance (and some are regulars in this series), this book series goes in its own direction while still be part of the Star Trek universe.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
citizen0
citizen0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I've only read 3 or 4 Trek novels. I recently read Federation (1994) by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens and it was pretty good if you don't mind the incongruities with ST:First Contact (the eighth film). It encompasses TNG, TOS and Zefram Cochrane timelines.

Great thread!
citizen0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am a Trek geek as well. I have the list in order to be read....

Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming
Star Trek: Voyager: The Farther Shore
Star Trek: Voyager: Spirit Walk Book One: Old Wounds
Star Trek: Voyager: Spirit Walk Book Two: Enemy of My Enemy
Star Trek: The Next Generation: A Time to Be Born
Star Trek: The Next Generation: A Time to Die
Star Trek: The Next Generation: A Time to Sow
Star Trek: The Next Generation: A Time to Harvest
Star Trek: The Next Generation: A Time to Love
Star Trek: The Next Generation: A Time to Hate
Star Trek: The Next Generation: A Time to Kill
Star Trek: The Next Generation: A Time to Heal
Star Trek: The Next Generation: A Time for War, a Time for Peace
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Death in Winter
Star Trek: Titan: Taking Wing
Star Trek: Titan: The Red King
Star Trek: Articles of the Federation
Star Trek: Titan: Orion's Hounds
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Resistance
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Q&A
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Before Dishonor
Star Trek: Titan: Sword of Damocles
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Greater Than the Sum
Star Trek: Destiny Book I: Gods of Night
Star Trek: Destiny Book II: Mere Mortals
Star Trek: Destiny Book III: Lost Souls
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Losing the Peace
Star Trek: various series: A Singular Destiny
Star Trek: Voyager: Full Circle
Star Trek: Voyager: Unworthy
Star Trek: Voyager: Children of the Storm
Upcoming Voyager book The Eternal Tide
Star Trek: Titan: Over a Torrent Sea
Star Trek: Titan: Synthesis
Star Trek: DTI: Watching the Clock
Star Trek: Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game
Star Trek: Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts of Empire
Star Trek: Typhon Pact: Seize the Fire
Star Trek: Typhon Pact 4: Paths of Disharmony
Star Trek: Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within (Novella)
Upcoming Titan: Fallen Gods
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Indistinguishable From Magic
Upcoming Typhon Pact books - Plagues of Night, Raise the Dawn.

This is a great list overall and will keep you busy for some time to come. Don't worry that the first four Voyager books are not wonderful (so-so). They need to be read in order for the later very good ones to make sense. Also, you'll want to read them because of Destiny. Once you get to Full Circle, the threads get tied and the story progresses from there with a different author who really does a great job with Voyager.

P.S. You might want to also read the Vanguard series which I would read before you get to the first TNG book in the list as it does have a thread in it that pertains to something in this list...

Star Trek: Vanguard: Harbinger
Star Trek: Vanguard: Summon the Thunder
Star Trek: Vanguard: Reap the Whirlwind
Star Trek: Vanguard: Open Secrets
Star Trek: Vanguard: Precipice
Star Trek: Vanguard: Declassified
Star Trek: Vanguard: What Judgments Come

This will pretty much bring you up to date with the world of Star Trek. Books these days do interconnect and that is why the list.

If you want to keep abreast of DS9 since the series ended...

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Lives of Dax
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny Book One
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny Book Two
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Avatar Book One
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Avatar Book Two
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Section 31: Abyss
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma Book One: Twilight
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma Book Two: This Gray Spirit
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma Book Three: Cathedral
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma Book Four: Lesser Evil
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Unity
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Worlds of Deep Space Nine Volume One: Cardassia and Andor
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Volume Two: Trill and Bajor
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Volume Three: The Dominion and Ferenginar
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Warpath
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Fearful Symmetry
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Soul Key
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Never-Ending Sacrifice

In the timeline, they come after the Vanguard series. One of the Typhon Pact books does sort of follow on with DS9.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-06-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
WOW! Thanks for this list and also thanks to the others for the posts

Thank you
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
WOW! Thanks for this list and also thanks to the others for the posts

Thank you
Happy to help. I know it's a big list. But once you read them all, you'll be up-to-date with the Star Trek universe. I know it doesn't include TOS, ENT, New Frontier or any of the alternate universe books, but it's still a fairly comprehensive list.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-08-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #22
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
The new frontier series by Peter David is an enjoyable read. As is Yesterday's son and a time for Yesterday by AC Crispin. The DS9 re-launch series is another set to llok at.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #23
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Thanks for posting that list JSWolf. I used to read Star trek books a lot back in the late 90s and I've been wanting to get back into them. Now I have a great starting point!
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #24
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Although it's not a novel, a currently running comic book miniseries that might be of interest is "Star Trek/Legion Of Super-Heroes," published by IDW and DC Comics. It features the:

- The classic Star Trek characters (as they were in The Original Series).

- Members of The Legion of Super-Heroes, a team of superheroes from the 31st Century who work together to protect the United Planets (they appear to be from the original Legion continuity).

Due to a temporal disruption, both teams end up in the 25th Century...but a very wrong 25th Century.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #25
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Recommend "The Dominion War", which is a story collection set during the time of the Federation-Dominion War in the theaters outside the DS9 quadrant
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Recommend "The Dominion War", which is a story collection set during the time of the Federation-Dominion War in the theaters outside the DS9 quadrant
I wasn't too thrilled with the two TNG based books and the DS9 based books were just adaptations from the TV show.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #27
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Good heavens......

It's another world out there.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #28
hca2000
hca2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox, Bebook Mini, HTC Desire, Ipad, Kindle 3 Wifi
I'm currently reading Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations: Watching the Clock and so far (approx 75-80% through) it's been great.

The book is based on the temporal agents Dulmur and Lucsly, who first was seen in the DS9 episode "Trial and Tribble-ations", and revolve around the Temperal Cold War known from the Enterprise series.

One of the things I really like about this book is how it ties together a lot of the temperal occurrences throughout the different TV series.

If anybody else have read the book perhaps the could comment how they liked it (or why they didn't).
hca2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #29
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks hca2000, just ordered Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations: Watching the Clock. I just love those sorts of books that tie things together and make you look back and go "Oh yeah, that makes sense."

I'll let you know what I think.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #30
hca2000
hca2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox, Bebook Mini, HTC Desire, Ipad, Kindle 3 Wifi
carld, your welcome! I hope you will enjoy the books as much as I have.

I found that early on I was a bit put off but a section of the book where the author in great detail try to explain the finer mechanics in time travel, but luckily it was only a few pages in an, so far, otherwise great book.
hca2000 is offline   Reply With Quote