Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
Anlon
Anlon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, Sony PRS
Vox will not charge

Hello.

My wife and I both picked up Vox's last Friday. They both worked great all weekend, and we were very happy with them.

Today though we both noticed that neither of them charged when we plugged them into the wall using the supplied wall adapter from Kobo.

Both show the charging icon and say they are charging but they have been plugged in for almost 10 hours and my wife's still warns her that the battery is under 10% and mine will not move from 30%.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve
Anlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Hi Steve,
There was an issue that the battery controllers would occasionally stop reporting correct levels. A firmware patch (that you should have seen applied during the initial setup) fixed this issue. However, we found that in some case that firmware patch fails to apply properly. We included an app to check the battery controller firmware and update if neccessary - it is called Firmware update and found in your app area. Please run it and let me know if it required updating. If it was up to date, then we may have some other issue. I have a work around I can PM you.

Hope that helps,
James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox
There is another thread discussing this issue (or a similar one anyway) it seems thatif you turn it off while charging it works better.

But interesting news from James...
blacknirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Anlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
Hi Steve,
There was an issue that the battery controllers would occasionally stop reporting correct levels. A firmware patch (that you should have seen applied during the initial setup) fixed this issue. However, we found that in some case that firmware patch fails to apply properly. We included an app to check the battery controller firmware and update if neccessary - it is called Firmware update and found in your app area. Please run it and let me know if it required updating. If it was up to date, then we may have some other issue. I have a work around I can PM you.

Hope that helps,
James

Hi James.

Thanks for the reply.

My Vox started charging again for now. I ran the firmware update app but both of our firmware versions are up to date. If you can PM me the workaround that would be great.

Quote:
There is another thread discussing this issue (or a similar one anyway) it seems thatif you turn it off while charging it works better.

But interesting news from James...
I looked around to see if anyone else was having the same problem. I read the thread your talking about but it doesn't seem to be the same problem.

I have left it plugged in turned off, in standby with wi-fi off and it just seems to charge randomly...

Hopefully James can help!

Thanks

Steve
Old 11-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #5
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
Hi Steve,

Hope that helps,
James
Oh yes, I found this folder when I was looking around.

My battery wasn't as good today. My Vox was sleeping for most of the day (only read for less than one hour before my battery looked almost drained) before I had to charge it again. Does that seem normal?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Did you have WiFi on? Rdio and INQ kept trying to go online and restarted themselves often.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:59 AM   #7
voxy
voxy began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
I have had similar issues charging my Vox. I haven't quite figured it out, so for now I have been completely powering off the Vox at night to plug it in for a full charge. I will try the firmware update tonight, but I'm pretty sure I have the latest firmware (at least when I checked two days ago).
voxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Generally the firmware update is successful during the out of box setup, and if you've confirmed it previously I'd recommend avoiding using too often - flashing and reflashing firmware is necessarily something you want to do for fun

As for this issue, I raised with the dev team this morning, and we're looking into it. If you guys can provide me with any and all information that might be pertinent, it would be very helpful - ie conditions when it happens, doesn't happen, etc.

For now, a hard reset (NOT FACTORY RESET) is the workaround - hold the power button down for 10s, then release. Then power on as normal.

Thanks!
James
Old 11-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I am having the same problem. I charged it up initially, and used it all day, and now it will not charge at all...it's stuck on 0%. I will try that reset method.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #10
SoulTrain
SoulTrain began at the beginning.

I am having this problem as well. I left it sit for a couple of days when I wasn't around. I came back and it was saying to charge immediately. I plugged it in and left it for a couple of hours, but when I came back it still says under 10% charge.

I also noticed earlier that no matter how long I left it plugged in for the indicator never filled up.

My firmware update says it's current. If you are PM-ing solutions around could you please send it to me as well? I need this resolved before I have to take the unit back to the store.

Karl
SoulTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #11
Anlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulTrain View Post
I am having this problem as well. I left it sit for a couple of days when I wasn't around. I came back and it was saying to charge immediately. I plugged it in and left it for a couple of hours, but when I came back it still says under 10% charge.

I also noticed earlier that no matter how long I left it plugged in for the indicator never filled up.

My firmware update says it's current. If you are PM-ing solutions around could you please send it to me as well? I need this resolved before I have to take the unit back to the store.

Karl
The solution James posted worked for 1 of my Vox's. Hold the power button until you hear a soft click ( sounded almost like a camera shutter) then power it back on. Before I did this my Vox was stuck at 30%, after I powered it back up it was at 100%.

I also find that it usually charges if you power you Vox off completly before pluging it in. When I just let it sleep it will not charge...

The Vox is brand new to the market and is going to have some issues, all new electrinocs do. You have to be prepared for this when you buy the latest devices are basically acting as an unofficial product tester. The thing with Kobo is it seems like they are listening to what we have to say (complain) about and are going to be working on fixing it.

Thanks

Steve
Old 11-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
SoulTrain
SoulTrain began at the beginning.

Thanks for the advice. I did a hard power down and charged for a few hours last night. The battery indicator did go to 100% from that, so that seems to work. I will say that if I have to hard power down in order to charge the unit, that is an unacceptable solution. However, if Kobo personnel are indeed listening to their customers and are trying to fix these "little" problems, I think that is a very positive thing, and far better service than you get from a lot of companies.

I am never willing to simply concede that I am an unofficial product tester for a device I have paid full price for, though. I expect Kobo to promptly resolve these issues, and so far it seems like they are working towards that.
SoulTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox

SoulTrain - thanks for your patience. We are actively investigating this issue, and hope to a resolution soon. Hopefully, this is not a constant thing for you. Of course, ideally it never happens to anyone. But we are listening, and working to make it better.

James
Old 11-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
tuner45
tuner45 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Unhappy battery reset

I found that the only thing that works when the battery seems not to be charging is removing the back cover and pressing the reset button.I have not tried to charge when the unit is turned off. I hope they come up with a better update.:(
tuner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #15
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Seriously? You removed the back cover and didn't just hold down the power button for 10s or more?

I'm not convinced I'm getting 6 hrs battery life but its certainly a decent period of time. I tend to charge with it off, and overnight. I haven't experienced any battery issues.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote