Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #16
cdresor
cdresor began at the beginning.

Device: nook color or GT p1000
GT or nook color

Quote:
Originally Posted by frui View Post
I've own a lot of ebook reading devices: Irex Iliad, Hanlin V3, Hanwang n518, Kindle, Sony, Ipad ......to name a few. The newly acquired p1000 really made my day.

Some would say, "it's not even an eink device". Well, iPad changed my negative impression of active LCD screen. And I know there are other factors which are also crucial to being a good ebook reader: fast response, factor form, the feel of books.......etc. In fact iPad put my other eink readers beneath dust.

But I have one very serious complaint against iPad: ppi. 1024x768 for an 10 inch screen is non-aesthetics to say the least, and it's very backward in an age of high definition.

And iPad2......what a disappointment! I seriously doubt Steve will raise the ppi for iPad3. So, I give up.

And here comes p1000. 7 inch at 1024x600 is very pleasant at reading distance.
I know of only one tablet that has higher ppi than p1000, which is Chinese Aino Novo8, an android device with an 8 inch screen at 1280x768. I bought Novo8, but it's "dirty" screen wipes out its advantage at higher resolution.

And p1000's 7 inch gives a better feel of a real paperback, and it's very comfortable to hold in hand.

The built in ebook reader is fantastic! Anyone that is blaming android for being lackluster in ebook reader should give this reader a serious look. I don't know if it is available as a stand alone software. I wish it is!
Thanks for a really great post! Although rumours say iPad3 will have better resolution, the device really is too big for me. So I am thinking about a p1000 or a nook color. The first I think is better but more expensive. The second I need to root etc, and I also need an American to bring it to me ;-)

I am also thinking about upgrading my SGI to SG2, but maybe I think the screen difference (4.3" to 7") is too little...? Many very important questions to consider.
Interesting though that you state that the Nook is too thick. Also, it has a kind of peculiar look I think. And I read that there is some WiFi issues out there. Anyone out there who has a Nook Color; comments?
cdresor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdresor View Post
So I am thinking about a p1000 or a nook color. The first I think is better but more expensive. The second I need to root etc, and I also need an American to bring it to me ;-)
The WIFI Tab is on par to the nook(CPU/Graphics card(GPU)/RAM/internal storage). For $100 more you get, Gorilla Glass, 2 cameras, working BT stack and a few software enh. The 3G model has a better GPU and CPU plus it also has a few external I/O.

What the nook gives you over the Tab is a better screen IPS vs TFT and longer battery life. Also the nook community has made rooting/ROMing so easy even a caveman can do it. So it is very easy to get up and running with CM7 (Gingerbread), where the Samsung Tab is still difficult to root and rom.

However buying an American to ship bring you a nook might offset the $100 saving .

Quote:
I am also thinking about upgrading my SGI to SG2, but maybe I think the screen difference (4.3" to 7") is too little...? Many very important questions to consider.
That's a 40% screen increase, it is significant.Ever since I rooted/ROM my nook I don't use my phone that much. Except for calls and text messages. If I need Internet access I just enable Mobile AP on my GSI and use the nook.

Quote:
Interesting though that you state that the Nook is too thick. Also, it has a kind of peculiar look I think. And I read that there is some WiFi issues out there. Anyone out there who has a Nook Color; comments?
He's not referring to the thickness of the nook, but the width of the nook's bezel. The nook is actually thinner than the TAB, but the nook is wider than the TAB because of the bezel.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 07-19-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #18
cdresor

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The WIFI Tab is on par to the nook(CPU/Graphics card(GPU)/RAM/internal storage). For $100 more you get, Gorilla Glass, 2 cameras, working BT stack and a few software enh. The 3G model has a better GPU and CPU plus it also has a few external I/O.

What the nook gives you over the Tab is a better screen IPS vs TFT and longer battery life. Also the nook community has made rooting/ROMing so easy even a caveman can do it. So it is very easy to get up and running with CM7 (Gingerbread), where the Samsung Tab is still difficult to root and rom.

However buying an American to ship bring you a nook might offset the $100 saving .

That's a 40% screen increase, it is significant.Ever since I rooted/ROM my nook I don't use my phone that much. Except for calls and text messages. If I need Internet access I just enable Mobile AP on my GSI and use the nook.

He's not referring to the thickness of the nook, but the width of the nook's bezel. The nook is actually thinner than the TAB, but the nook is wider than the TAB because of the bezel.

=X=
Thanks for this great answer!
>> even a caveman can do it >>
Well, when I tried to fix the 3-button combo on my SG1 I bricked it. Completely. So I needed to have an American (mobiletechvideos.com) to fix it for 50 bucks. But I have an American friend coming to Europe in November. Might be able to wait that long ......I actually don´t understand how the price can be so low on the Nook.

As for the bezel - I now learned a new word - I guess I could cope with that too. Is it small enough to hold in one hand (I have fairly large ones)?

Again, thanks for your very informative answer.

Last edited by cdresor; 07-19-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Wrong glasses on I guess.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Thanks for this great answer!
>> even a caveman can do it >>
Well, when I tried to fix the 3-button combo on my SG1 I bricked it. Completely. So I needed to have an American (mobiletechvideos.com) to fix it for 50 bucks. But I have an American friend coming to Europe in November. Might be able to wait that long ......
When folks say you can't brick a nook what they mean is even if you completely ruin the install and render your device un-bookable you can easily restore it or add a different ROM.
The reason is because B&N, bless their hearts, made the nook Hardware microSD bootable. You can completely run the os off of a microSD card and not even touch the stock os.

If you wait until November your choices might get much harder, and it is rumored that amazon, asus, and acer will have a 7" tablet by then.

Quote:
I actually don´t understand how the price can be so low on the Nook.
As for the bezel - I now learned a new word - I guess I could cope with that too. Is it small enough to hold in one hand (I have fairly large ones)?
Well it's best if I don't presume to know how big your hands are and just say for me I often read with only one hand and am able to advance to the next page by swiping or tapping on the screen.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #20
cdresor

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
If you wait until November your choices might get much harder, and it is rumored that amazon, asus, and acer will have a 7" tablet by then.
I think the Nook will still have a very competitive price. I think I will sell my SG1 and buy a nook, and get a sg2 on a new contract
Thanks for all your help!
Advert