Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
planters
planters began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
Extra punctuation marks in epub after loading from SRL to PRS-600

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this problem of mine. I've searched but have been unable to find a previous thread.

My problem: When I load epub books from the Sony Reader Library to my PRS-600 reader I notice that question marks have been randomly placed throughout the text (in the middle of every third or fourth word). The book reads fine when I read it in the Sony Reader Library but for some reason on my 600 there's all kinds of question marks everywhere. Anyone seen this before? Thanks in advance for any responses.
planters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
What is the original source of the ePub file?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
planters

I downloaded a bunch of ebooks off the internet from a bit torrent site. Just to clarify, it doesn't happen with every epub book, but it does seem to happen with all the books in this batch. Could it have anything to do with any kind of DRM protection? It just seems strange that when the books are viewed on my computer with the Sony Reader Library they look fine. But then when I load them into the ereader all these question marks appear everywhere.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The ebooks may have been created using a font that is not fully recognized by the Sony Reader. If it doesn't recognize a certain character it will place nonsense in it's place.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
planters

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
If it doesn't recognize a certain character it will place nonsense in it's place.
I see what you mean except the question marks aren't replacing any characters, they are added characters. For example the work "recognize" might appear as "re?cog?nize". I wonder if maybe I try loading one of these ebooks onto a memory card and then putting the card into the reader, if maybe the reader might see it differently. I'll look for a memory card and try it out and report back.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:57 AM   #6
planters

Tried the memory card and i'm seeing the same thing on my reader. The only other thing I can think of right now is to try putting the ebook into calibre and convert it some other form and then try loading it onto the reader again and see what I get. I'll report back after I try that.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:56 AM   #7
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
You can also try converting it to the same format. I've had ePubs which my PRS600 didn't want to open, after "converting" it to ePub with Calibre my reader could open them.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
planters

Running the epub book through calibre worked. I converted them to lrf (BBeB) and then when I loaded them onto a memory stick and put them into my ereader, voila, extra punctuation marks were not there. I will also try converting them from epub to epub through calibre as suggested later today. Thanks grooks and rumpelteazer for your help.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Those are soft hyphens. For some reason the EPUB renderer on the device renders them as questionmarks instead of skipping.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote