Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Question about Nook/Kindle/Android Tablets

I have a question that is specific to the tablet versions of Nook and Kindle. I suspect I already know the answer but need to have it verified before I go ahead with my Christmas present plans.

So the question is, I know that on any standard Android tablet I can install the Kindle and Nook reader apps, and any other third party reader apps I want. On the Nook or Kindle tablets is it possible to install the Kindle/Nook reader apps on the opposite brand tablet? Or a third party app that would read KF8/Mobi/Epub?

And please don't bother to recommend the iPad. It's been 2 1/2 years and I still hear about the iTouch fiasco from the person for whom this would be a present for.

Thanks in advance.

Beth
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
You can IF you Hack/Jail Break them which is illegal! You want to Buy eBooks from Both safe way to go is a Tablet! There are TONS out their from $88 on sale now at CVS to Hundreds of $$$ ones.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
On the Kindle Fire's it is possible to load third party apps, but for many of them you'll need to hunt down the .apk file from a source other than Amazon.

On the Nook HD & HD+ it is possible to sideload an app using ADB via a USB connection to your computer, but it's not as simple (you have to install the Android SDK) as on the Kindle's where you just need to check a box to allow third party apps.

Neither is as simple as just installing them from the Play store like you would on say a Nexus tablet.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You can IF you Hack/Jail Break them which is illegal! You want to Buy eBooks from Both safe way to go is a Tablet! There are TONS out their from $88 on sale now at CVS to Hundreds of $$$ ones.
You don't need to jailbreak/root either the current Nook's or Kindle's.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the answer. I could care less about the legality of hacking/jailbreaking a device I own in order to read legally purchased books on it. I just don't have the know how or the inclination to learn how to jailbreak a device that isn't even for me. Android Tablet it is.
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
On the Kindle Fire's it is possible to load third party apps, but for many of them you'll need to hunt down the .apk file from a source other than Amazon.

On the Nook HD & HD+ it is possible to sideload an app using ADB via a USB connection to your computer, but it's not as simple (you have to install the Android SDK) as on the Kindle's where you just need to check a box to allow third party apps.

Neither is as simple as just installing them from the Play store like you would on say a Nexus tablet.
Thanks for the info. Still more complicated than I'd like to get for the person this is intended for. Mostly because the second something goes wrong, and something Always goes wrong, I'll be the one they call to fix it.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
You don't have to jailbreak them, you simply can sideload the respective apps. I wouldn't think that's illegal, but who knows?

Edit: Ups. AnemicOak already explained that...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookJunkieLI View Post
So the question is, I know that on any standard Android tablet I can install the Kindle and Nook reader apps, and any other third party reader apps I want. On the Nook or Kindle tablets is it possible to install the Kindle/Nook reader apps on the opposite brand tablet? Or a third party app that would read KF8/Mobi/Epub?
Yes. Not hard at all. Here is a link to epub reader apps directly from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...011%2Ck%3Aepub

For the Nook app just load the 1mobile app to the Fire and download the Nook app. You can also download the nook app from 1mobile to your computer and side load it to the Fire.

http://www.1mobile.com/nook-79949.html

On the Fire you will have to allow installation of Applications. Go to more\settings\device and click 'allow installation of applications'.

Very easy. HTH

Edited to add: You do not have to jailbreak the Fire to do this.

Carol

Last edited by sadievan; 12-10-2012 at 11:54 AM.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
And please don't bother to recommend the iPad. It's been 2 1/2 years and I still hear about the iTouch fiasco from the person for whom this would be a present for.
What iTouch fiasco are you talking about?
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Still more complicated than I'd like to get for the person this is intended for. Mostly because the second something goes wrong, and something Always goes wrong, I'll be the one they call to fix it.
Get one of Google's tablet nexus 7 or nexus 10 you can install what ever app you want kindle or nook. Both are very good value for money for the specs they have.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
You can IF you Hack/Jail Break them which is illegal!
In what jurisdiction?

It is legal to jailbreak in my country (US).

Now, personally, I don't jailbreak my Kindle because it does what I need without, and I wonder if it would become less stable and/or need more reboots.

What did you mean by the word "Hack?"
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote