Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Several People have asked about my eReader. . .

But I'm getting wise to them. After explaining patiently all the features and advantages of ereading in general and my Sony PRS350 in particular, a sly grin comes across their face, and they say something like, "Yeah, well, I really like the 'experience' of having a real book in my hand!"

This happened yesterday, so without thinking, I blurted out, "Yeah! Like you've ever read a book!"

I don't think I made a convert yesterday. How do you respond to that inanity?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
But I'm getting wise to them. After explaining patiently all the features and advantages of ereading in general and my Sony PRS350 in particular, a sly grin comes across their face, and they say something like, "Yeah, well, I really like the 'experience' of having a real book in my hand!"

This happened yesterday, so without thinking, I blurted out, "Yeah! Like you've ever read a book!"

I don't think I made a convert yesterday. How do you respond to that inanity?
I don't any more. It used to annoy me, but I guess some people really are happier with a 'real' book.

Besides, if they want to live in the Stone Age, that's up to them.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 05:34 AM   #3
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I hate it when people do this and they do it all the time! I feel tricked, first they make you brag about it then they dwarf you by telling in a sly tone it is not for them as if they were better than you are because they read a pbook.

What is more how do they know they won't like without trying?

It's just plain stupidity on their side and I find it perfectly ok to tell them so!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:38 AM   #4
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
I reply that I like being able to hold 275 "real" books in my hand at one time and that the printed word on my screen is just as real as the printed word on their paper. It all reads........ Or gets read, however you want to phrase it.

Usually when I show them the book case view on my reqaer (a 10" android tablet) they are a bit more accepting because they can see all the pretty colorful bookcovers.

And yes, I know that compared to some most of you, 275 is a pitifully small library.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Presumably most of us like to have a "real" book in our hands, but we also like the many advantages of having electronic books on our readers. When I was a kid I simply could not understand how anyone could live their lives without supporting Sheffield United - their lives must just have been empty and meaningless.

Of course, some people will prefer paper books, just like some people will not support Sheffield United, (though, supporting Sheffield Wednesday still strikes me as strange and I cannot rid myself of the suspicion that people who do so are somehow deluded), and it is surely better that they read something than that they read nothing.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thafrogggg View Post
And yes, I know that compared to some most of you, 275 is a pitifully small library.
No, it is not. It is the amount of books a 2,00 m x 0,80 m bookshelf will hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thafrogggg View Post
I reply that I like being able to hold 275 "real" books in my hand at one time
That line once earned me a pretty nasty 'liar' look by my neighbors 10year old.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:02 AM   #7
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
People do similar things in other aspects of life. I am a fairly innovative cook (my husband claims, somewhat inaccurately, that I have never served the same meal twice). But I used to be driven mad by kids staring at the plate and saying, "What's this? I don't like it!" without even having had a taste.

Last edited by DMB; 02-01-2011 at 12:45 PM.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #8
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I just tell them honestly that with a good cover I don't miss holding a physical book at all. The convenience and advantages outweigh any aesthetic differences but to each their own.

I personally think that the "look and smell of a real book" is just people trying to grasp at any excuse not to try it. If they have a closed mind it's not going to change by pointing it out to them.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #9
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I just tell them honestly that with a good cover I don't miss holding a physical book at all. The convenience and advantages outweigh any aesthetic differences but to each their own.

I personally think that the "look and smell of a real book" is just people trying to grasp at any excuse not to try it. If they have a closed mind it's not going to change by pointing it out to them.
The smell of books
Old 02-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
a sly grin comes across their face, and they say something like, "Yeah, well, I really like the 'experience' of having a real book in my hand!"
You could always say, "Really? Well, I like the experience of reading."

Sadly, every time this happens to me it is online, where I feel impelled to be polite and reasonable.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
jerrywojo
Connoisseur
jerrywojo began at the beginning.

Happens often with me.

With ereader devices there is a bit if subterfuge involved.....no one knows what your reading. Compared to paper books which have a cover for all the world to see.
So I'm thinking there may be a bit of psychological voodoo going on here.
jerrywojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Come on. We get this with most things. I have a nice digital camera so I hear, "I prefer film." I live in Mexico so people ask my why when they really don't care why I live in Mexico. They just want a chance to tell me why they would hate living in Mexico.

I've started saying, "I don't care." "I prefer film." "I don't care. I didn't ask you why you didn't have a digital camera, did I? You asked me why I had a digital and I don't really care why you don't."

"I think the reading experience is better with paper books." "I don't care." "What do you mean?" "I don't care what you think. That's why I didn't ask you what you think. You asked me a question, I answered your question, now why did you think I'd care what you think."

I have been called snarky by some, and I didn't care for their opinion, either, but to get real snark, people need to start telling me why I should have bought an IPad. No, Virginia, I don't care about that opinion, either.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #13
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
I must say that the people who have oohd and aahd so far have genuinely been interested in my Kindle and all of its features.
Two even decided to get one, which was a nice feeling.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
LOL! Glen unloaded!

Good for you! Who cares what they think, and they were probably jealous anyway.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
BTW, in Alabama, no one reads and so there are no book snobs. However, the bragging about college football and deer points is over the top.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote