Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Do any of the hacks that are currently out work on Kindle 3?

I'm interested in a more font hack and a screensaver hack, but they both say they are for software v 2.5 and my kindle says that it is software v3.0. Also, has anyone ever found a hack that makes the screensaver the cover of the current book?
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
No existing hacks work for the Kindle 3 currently.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
No existing hacks work for the Kindle 3 currently.
Any word on when they might come out with working hacks?
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
Any word on when they might come out with working hacks?
There was a post (thread?) somewhere here where they said that the way they did the hack was blocked on the K3. I'll see if I can find it.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
There was a post (thread?) somewhere here where they said that the way they did the hack was blocked on the K3. I'll see if I can find it.
The only hack I've seen that works, if you want to call it a hack, is the one that allows you to decrease the left and right margins. See this thread starting on page 2 and post #19:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=94129&page=2
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
This is what I was refering to:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...60#post1083660

Can't jailbreak the K3 as of now.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Are we optimistic that some bright person will figure out a jailbreak soon?
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaJole View Post
Are we optimistic that some bright person will figure out a jailbreak soon?
Anything can be reversed engineered given the time and resources.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Anything can be reversed engineered given the time and resources.
If Amazon made no mistakes or bad design decisions when creating the new signed update system then in theory it could be nearly impossible to break in barring any new advances in cryptography or quantum computing. For a product like the Kindle, it just isn't worth the time necessary to audit the code to this level especially since it is a fairly complex device.

That said, Apple and the various phone manufacturers have much more to lose from the ability for people to break into their devices and they've not been successful in preventing that from happening so far...
Old 09-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Amazon's aggressive anti-jailbreaking counter-measures (with each major firmware update) is growing a little tiresome. Why try so hard to prevent someone from voiding their warranty?

Looks like I'll be sticking with my K2 for as long as I can.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Amazon's aggressive anti-jailbreaking counter-measures (with each major firmware update) is growing a little tiresome. Why try so hard to prevent someone from voiding their warranty?
Its a support nightmare if Amazon allow it as they've no idea what you've done to your Kindle. If a later update breaks the Kindle because of the changes then people will blame Amazon even if it isn't their fault.

You can't even guarantee that the Kindle owner knows its been hacked as a friend or family member may have done it for them and they won't know what was done.

I'm just saying that I understand why Amazon are doing it. I would of course prefer if they didn't though.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

I'm really hoping that someone comes up with a font hack--I want to replace the horrible Korean font!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

That is the something I don't understand about Amazon, Sony, and the other reader manufacturers. The most often requested feature seems to be more font choices. It wouldn't be that difficult for these companies to design readers with a font folder and the ability to load more fonts. Yet they are unwilling to do this! It also would not be difficult for Amazon to allow us to add/delete screen images, or for that fact just toggle them OFF.

It still strikes me as odd that ebook reading software designed a decade ago for PDAs had more user formatting controls than any dedicated ebook reader I've owned has ever had!

Last edited by jswinden; 09-04-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
HelenaJole
Connoisseur

Absolutely.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That is the something I don't understand about Amazon, Sony, and the other reader manufacturers. The most often requested feature seems to be more font choices. It wouldn't be that difficult for these companies to design readers with a font folder and the ability to load more fonts. Yet they are unwilling to do this! It also would not be difficult for Amazon to allow us to add/delete screen images, or for that fact just toggle them OFF.
Yeah. The majority of the hacks people want do seem to be fairly simple for Amazon to implement and it would mean a better Kindle for everybody. Adding in system of alternative user provided fonts and a way of changing the screensavers would probably cover most people. They just need to provide the basic changing mechanism for the fonts. The community itself could create the fonts.