Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
khashayar
khashayar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
PDF highlights and Zotfile extraction

I'm a new user of Koreader, running it on a Kobo Aura One mostly for reading research material, which is to say most reading PDF documents. I'm very happy with Koreader as a PDF viewer - so first off, thanks a bunch for developing it!

I also use Zotero + Zotfile for management of PDFs. In my workflow, I highlight text in the PDF:s with Koreader, and then import those PDFs from the Kobo to Zotero. Using Zotfile I would like to extract the highlights.

Most of this works fine, except that Zotfile for some reason fails to extract the highlights made in Koreader, specifically. I assume this in fact is an issue with Zotfile's extraction routine, and not Koreader, since opening the PDFs in a PDF reader on the computer (in my case Okular), I can see the highlights (although they're black squiggly things covering the text). If I use Okular to re-highlight the highlighted text, Zotfile is then able to extract them without problems.

Now, as mentioned above, this does seem to be a problem with Zotfile, rather than Koreader, but I'm curious to know if anyone else is having a similar setup, and if there's a workaround? Are there any settings in Koreader I'm missing? Is anyone else doing anything similar to what I'm trying to do with better success?
khashayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Have you checked out this? It might shorten your workflow.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #3
khashayar
khashayar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thanks! I'll check this out - it should be possible to get it running on linux.

(However, Zotfile is very useful when it actually manages to extract the annotations. Everything ends up tidily under the relevant item, and the extacted highlights even have links to the pages they were extracted from.)
khashayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:20 AM   #4
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by khashayar View Post
Thanks! I'll check this out - it should be possible to get it running on linux.
Please comment about your experience in linux because I can't test it there.
Quote:
(However, Zotfile is very useful when it actually manages to extract the annotations. Everything ends up tidily under the relevant item, and the extacted highlights even have links to the pages they were extracted from.)
When I finish my vacations (2-3 weeks) I'm planning to add some minor features to the program. Any suggestion or feature request is welcomed...

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, I never really tested the app with pdfs.
It should work, but

Last edited by embryo; 06-28-2017 at 07:23 AM.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote