Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Should I get Apple Care for an iPad Pro?

I just bought an iPad Pro 12.9 from an Apple Store. I use this device everyday as my main reading device. I carry it with me on my way to work and use it while riding the bus. Should I pay $99 Apple Care for the device? I am also fairly new to Apple OS and their ecosystem. Is their tech support worth paying $99?

I have 60 days from the day I purchased the device to make the decision.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
After dropping and cracking the screen on my iPad Air 2, I did buy Apple Care for my iPad Pro 12.9"

I'm not generally someone who buys extended warranties. But an iPad Pro isn't in the same category as most devices.

That said, I would not carry it to read on. I would carry my Kobo if I had to ride a bus everyday, or just read on my phone.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
I just bought an iPad Pro 12.9 from an Apple Store. I use this device everyday as my main reading device. I carry it with me on my way to work and use it while riding the bus. Should I pay $99 Apple Care for the device? I am also fairly new to Apple OS and their ecosystem. Is their tech support worth paying $99?

I have 60 days from the day I purchased the device to make the decision.
Are you prone to breaking devices? Some people are. Personally I've never broken one, and never buy extended warranties.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I cannot say whether it would be worth it or not. I will say that Apple will likely honor the extended warranty if the fault is theirs. If you drop it, I doubt they will cover that. I've never read nor purchased their extended warranties, but I doubt they cover things that are the fault of the user, like dropping. I certainly would never buy an extended warranty from Best Buy, or most other sources, as those tend to be worth less than the paper they are printed on. Stick with the manufacturer's extended warranty if you want to get one.

Out of all the devices I've owned in the past ten years, I've only had one go bad. That was the original iPad and it died before the standard warranty expired, and Apple happily replaced it with another iPad. If the device is going to go bad due to the manufacturer's fault, it will likely do so before the standard warranty expires.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:50 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AppleCare+ provides repair or replacement coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians. Service coverage includes the following:

Your iPad
Battery1
AirPort4
Included USB cable and power adapter
Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling of your iPad, each subject to a $49 service fee plus applicable tax1

Editing to add...I've never used Apple's tech support for learning how to use their devices. I read online and search forums etc. for that type of help. I'm much more a "dive in and look through menus" type user when I get a new device. If I can't figure something out on my own, then I search online for help

Last edited by Deskisamess; 06-27-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Advert
Old 06-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
AppleCare+ provides repair or replacement coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians. Service coverage includes the following:

Your iPad
Battery1
AirPort4
Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling of your iPad, each subject to a $49 service fee plus applicable tax1

Editing to add...I've never used Apple's tech support for learning how to use their devices. I read online and search forums etc. for that type of help. I'm much more a "dive in and look through menus" type user when I get a new device. If I can't figure something out on my own, then I search online for help
The last part looks good if someone is accident prone. But whether it is worth the extra $99 is a question only the buyer can answer. I always put my iPad in an Otterbox Defender case, so I'm not likely to damage it by act of booboo. And since I get a free year of warranty coverage, I figure if it is going to break due to a manufacturing issue, it will likely do so within that first year. But that is just me, others might feel safer with the extended coverage.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
An equally difficult choice is between AppleCare+ and Square Trade. The ST extended warranty is cheaper or longer, your choice, and includes the ability to go directly to an Apple store for service.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post

Your iPad
Battery1
AirPort4

There are also downloadable manuals for every device and every release. These are PDF files and can be read in iBooks or a different PDF reader but there most easily found in iBooks in the store. They are step by step complete on most everything you need to know.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There are also downloadable manuals for every device and every release. These are PDF files and can be read in iBooks or a different PDF reader but there most easily found in iBooks in the store. They are step by step complete on most everything you need to know.

Dale
I have the PDF manual for the Blaupunkt replacement head unit we put in my car. The navigation of that unit was clearly meant to be an ongoing challenge for the end-user.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:47 AM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I have almost always bought Applecare for Mac laptops and iPads, and on the whole have failed to regret it - it is one of the better extended warranties. We have better statutory warranties here now, so I'm not 100% sure whether I will always get them in the future. If your country doesn't have good statutory warranty protection, definitely consider it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:16 PM   #11
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
If you have a buddy that can repair them, then no. If you would die without your ipad and have extra money for the warranty, then yes.

We repair our own. In fact, the one time that we would have required extended warranty it would have been out of warranty by a couple days so it wouldn't have helped anyways.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I've bought the apple care, and I've not bought the apple care. It really come down to do you think there is a possibility of breaking the device. I will say that unlike a lot of extended warranties, Apple honors their warranties, no hassle. They even go above and beyond. I had a iPhone 6 plus that fell out of my pocket, cracking the screen badly. When I took it in, since it wasn't under warranty, (I made the mistake of using the carrier's warranty, which turned out to be - ship it to us and we will look at it and send it back in a few weeks) I did have to pay to replace the screen, but they noticed that the battery was starting to swell, so they replaced the battery for free. Once again, it was about a year and a half old, so it was out of warranty.

I think that buying a warranty for a device that you are giving to a kid or a teen, then it's a no brainer. My niece and nephew have cracked their screens several times by doing things like tossing it in their backpack unprotected, or sticking it in the waist band of their pants and having it fall out. I think that buying a warranty for a device that you can't afford to be without is a pretty smart move as well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:01 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I think that buying a warranty for a device that you can't afford to be without is a pretty smart move as well.
Let's be clear: a warranty is a guarantee against failure due to faults in the device. A so-called "extended warranty" is an insurance policy that will pay out if YOU break the device.

Whether or not it makes sense to buy depends on the cost of the device and the ease of replacement. I bought Dell's "next business day on site servicing" because, as you say, my laptop is a device I can't afford to be without. I don't have an extended warranty on my iPad because, should it break, I can buy a replacement, restore the Cloud backup, and I'll be back up and running in a couple of hours.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Let's be clear: a warranty is a guarantee against failure due to faults in the device. A so-called "extended warranty" is an insurance policy that will pay out if YOU break the device.

Whether or not it makes sense to buy depends on the cost of the device and the ease of replacement. I bought Dell's "next business day on site servicing" because, as you say, my laptop is a device I can't afford to be without. I don't have an extended warranty on my iPad because, should it break, I can buy a replacement, restore the Cloud backup, and I'll be back up and running in a couple of hours.
The three biggest things that I consider when thinking about the extended warranty is 1) do I think they will honor the warranty with minimal hassle, 2) how much does it cost to replace the device and 3) how likely am I to break the device.

I bought Apple care for my niece and nephew simply because the likelihood of careless teens breaking an iPhone is high. I didn't buy an extended warranty for my iMac because the likelihood of me breaking my iMac is very low. I don't buy the "insurance" from the mobile carrier because it's unlikely that they will actual honor it in a meaningful way.

I don't have Apple Care for either of my iPads because it's pretty unlikely I'll need it. I always use cases for my iPads (and iPhones) and when I carry my iPads around, most of the time, they are safely tucked away in a padded compartment in my backpack.

There are a lot of people in this world who can't afford to drop a grand down at a moments notice to replace an iPad that got dropped. If someone is in that category, then it makes a lot of sense to go ahead and buy Apple Care.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:19 AM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Applecare isn't only about accidental breakage; it's also about fixing or replacing the device with no hassles should it fail or develop faults past the usual warranty period. It's helped me before with laptop battery failure, optical drive failure, that sort of thing.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote