Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #1
domsch1988
domsch1988 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7 Gen
Need help getting KT2 back to life

Ok, first post here, so.. Hi everyone

I have some trouble with my KT2. A few weeks back i jailbroke it succesfully. After putting something on (don't ask me what it was exactly, it was weeks back. Some Book.) and rebooting the device i'm stuck in a bootloop/update loop.

Currently i get a "Your Kindle needs to be repaired" screen. After a Hard reboot it tries to update, Fails on the way and goes back to that screen. While it's booting i have access to the storage over USB on Windows. Sadly it doesn't stay so long enough to put the full 190MB Firmware on it. As soon as the "Repair needed" Screen pops up, access to storage is gone.

Since most threads i found are a bit all over the place, i'm not sure where to start. I tried running mfgtool, but i crashes under Windows 10. From what i've read, i could get to fastboot and get it to work with a special cable. But since, my reader is still reacting to input i'd rather avoid buying special stuff and get it back up and running some other way.

Any help or input on how to resolve my Problem would be greatly appreciated. If you need any further information, i'll do my very best to brovide that.
domsch1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by domsch1988 View Post
Ok, first post here, so.. Hi everyone

I have some trouble with my KT2. A few weeks back i jailbroke it succesfully. After putting something on (don't ask me what it was exactly, it was weeks back. Some Book.) and rebooting the device i'm stuck in a bootloop/update loop.

Currently i get a "Your Kindle needs to be repaired" screen. After a Hard reboot it tries to update, Fails on the way and goes back to that screen. While it's booting i have access to the storage over USB on Windows. Sadly it doesn't stay so long enough to put the full 190MB Firmware on it. As soon as the "Repair needed" Screen pops up, access to storage is gone.

Since most threads i found are a bit all over the place, i'm not sure where to start. I tried running mfgtool, but i crashes under Windows 10. From what i've read, i could get to fastboot and get it to work with a special cable. But since, my reader is still reacting to input i'd rather avoid buying special stuff and get it back up and running some other way.

Any help or input on how to resolve my Problem would be greatly appreciated. If you need any further information, i'll do my very best to brovide that.
Why do you want to put a 190Mbyte file on the device?
What do you think you will accomplish?

"Tries to update" ???
What is happening to give you that conclusion?
It could be important.

Has this device ever been allowed to run it battery down?
Down low enough that the 'charge battery' picture is displayed.

Have you tried:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
all caps, no extension, no contents, place at top of visible USB storage, reboot.

Although you don't mention:
If you tried to delete any *.bin file that might be at the top of visible USB storage
If you want to keep your jailbreak
What firmware version the device has installed, what version it is trying to install, if it is really trying to install an update
If you have tried to delete the entire contents of /documents to get rid of the suspected book without knowing which one

Note:
You mention two possible reasons for the boot loop:
A bad book file (if that was going to cause a boot loop, it would have done it "weeks ago" but you aren't clear if it did)
A bad update file
but you don't give enough information to help decide which it might be.

= = = =

You have a technical question to ask on a technical forum -
So yes, we need all of those gory, technical details.

Last edited by knc1; 06-26-2017 at 09:07 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #3
domsch1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Why do you want to put a 190Mbyte file on the device?
What do you think you will accomplish?

Have you tried:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
all caps, no extension, no contents, place at top of visible USB storage, reboot.
The 190MB File is the Full Factory Firmware from Amazon. If i understood it correctly, The Kindle would automatically try to update with the .bin file when i place that in USB root.

Would the "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" be an empty file i create on the device?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
domsch1988

JEEESUS Christ, it worked! Man, you are a life saver!!! I cant thank you enough!
Do i have to do anything to get rid of the old Jailbreak? I basically want a stock, official Kindle Back. The Jailbreak didn't do anything i really need...
Old 06-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
JEEESUS Christ, it worked! Man, you are a life saver!!! I cant thank you enough!
Do i have to do anything to get rid of the old Jailbreak? I basically want a stock, official Kindle Back. The Jailbreak didn't do anything i really need...
Leave it alone, it is only a single, 272 byte file.
It does no harm and the only time it is referenced is when you install one of our update_*.bin format packages.
If you never try to install one of our packages, it will never be used.

BUT -
If you ever change your mind, you will not be able to put it back.
The current firmware versions can not be jail broken.
Advert
Old 06-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
@knc1: How does the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE method not delete the pubdevkey01.pem while a touch to the never touch button does. Can one factory reset their kindle with this method then?

@domsch1988: Better install hotfix!
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
@knc1: How does the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE method not delete the pubdevkey01.pem while a touch to the never touch button does. Can one factory reset their kindle with this method then?

@domsch1988: Better install hotfix!
It does not change anything in the system image part of the file system (that we know of).

But it probably does destroy the "survival code".
I honestly do not recall.
Normally, it is only used here to clear the reboot counter.

So yes, the 'hotfix' should be re-installed, even if none of our add-ins are going to be used.

Just to protect the jail break file during updates.
Mostly because the device is now running a firmware version that can not be jail broken.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
Would the "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" be an empty file i create on the device?
How could I have written this more clearly?
Quote:
Have you tried:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
Old 06-27-2017, 01:09 AM   #9
domsch1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
How could I have written this more clearly?
First, i already figured it out. Second, no need to be offended. I just wanted to make 100% sure i didn't make the situation worse by doing something wrong and causing unrecoverable damage. And you could have specified you where talking about creating a file with that filename.
None the less, all went well, i'm up and reading and won't touch it again now.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:58 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
First, i already figured it out. Second, no need to be offended. I just wanted to make 100% sure i didn't make the situation worse by doing something wrong and causing unrecoverable damage. And you could have specified you where talking about creating a file with that filename.
None the less, all went well, i'm up and reading and won't touch it again now.
How often do you see a directory name in a *nix system use a name extension field?