Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-30-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Kindle for iOS 5.11 update

Quote:
In-book search improvements, including the ability to see search results broken down by chapter.

Bug fixes and performance improvements.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kind...302584613?mt=8
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A breakdown of search results by chapter sounds like a pretty useful enhancement. Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2017, 08:56 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
5.12 adds Goodreads notes/highlight sharing and 'ragged right' text option.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
5.12 adds Goodreads notes/highlight sharing and 'ragged right' text option.
The left justification for text is a feature many have been requesting for a long time. Not sure why they called it "ragged right text option" though. I don't think I've ever heard it called that.

I even got a Kindle update on my Mac this morning. That is rare. They hardly ever update the computer version of the app. To be honest, I even forgot it was installed until I got the update notice this morning.

Attached a couple of screen captures.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle-left-justification.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	157568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle-landscape-left-justified.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	915.6 KB
ID:	157569  

Last edited by jswinden; 06-27-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The same ragged right feature was also added to the most recent firmware for e-ink Kindles and the Android/Fire Kindle app. It is only effective for books in KFX format (enhanced typesetting.) It is odd what Amazon thinks are important features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I even got a Kindle update on my Mac this morning. That is rare. They hardly ever update the computer version of the app. To be honest, I even forgot it was installed until I got the update notice this morning.
The most recent Kindle for Mac version listed on Amazon's website is 1.20, which has been out for several months. Did you get something newer than that?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The same ragged right feature was also added to the most recent firmware for e-ink Kindles and the Android/Fire Kindle app. It is only effective for books in KFX format (enhanced typesetting.) It is odd what Amazon thinks are important features.

The most recent Kindle for Mac version listed on Amazon's website is 1.20, which has been out for several months. Did you get something newer than that?
It says it is version 1.20.2, so no clue if this is later than the one listed. It is described as containing stability improvements and bug fixes. (Pretty much what they all say.) Amazon has always been slow to push out updates for certain devices. I rarely get them for the Mac or Windows PC.

Amazon thinks any feature that might somehow make you buy more books is important, as in important to them! What we want is of much lesser importance to them.

ETA: I think v 1.20.2 is a minor update to the one listed on Amazon's update page. I don't remember when/if I got 1.20.0 or 1.20.1.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-27-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just went into System Information on my MBP and I see that the Kindle 1.12.4 update was installed on 7 October 2015 but no other updates were installed until today when it updated to 1.20.2. I'm not sure if that is Amazon being wonky on pushing out updates or Apple being wonky about notifying me they are available, perhaps both. No big deal on the Mac version of the Kindle app since I rarely use it. I cannot even remember the last time I did use it.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Someone else has started a thread on the new Kindle for Mac version.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Someone else has started a thread on the new Kindle for Mac version.
According to the time stamp, we started discussing the Mac version 2.5 hours before they posted that thread. Besides, we are not really discussing it here, more like casually mentioning that it came out. I still think it was rather odd that I was never pushed 1.20.0 or 1.20.1, only 1.20.2. Perhaps if I had actually opened the app once in a blue moon it would have told me an update was available.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
According to the time stamp, we started discussing the Mac version 2.5 hours before they posted that thread. Besides, we are not really discussing it here, more like casually mentioning that it came out. I still think it was rather odd that I was never pushed 1.20.0 or 1.20.1, only 1.20.2. Perhaps if I had actually opened the app once in a blue moon it would have told me an update was available.
The Mac App Store was incredibly out of date for the Kindle app. It was not updated to be in sync with the Amazon releases. Therefore I have been updating by downloading the software directly from the Amazon website rather than the App Store.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
The Mac App Store was incredibly out of date for the Kindle app. It was not updated to be in sync with the Amazon releases. Therefore I have been updating by downloading the software directly from the Amazon website rather than the App Store.
Back when I used the Kindle for Windows version I did the manual install because I had the same issue. I would periodically check for updates. But since I no longer mess with deDRMing, I rarely even open the Kindle app on my MBP. It is so much easier just to open the books in my Kindle for iPad app. I'm not sure if the issue with updates not being pushed out in a timely fashion is the fault of Amazon or the Apple App Store or perhaps both. It does make me wonder what else I have on my MBP that might have updates available that I am unaware of. I suspect the issue is with Amazon though. When I had a Fire HD 6, I would usually get updates fairly quickly, but some people were having to wait 6 months or more before their updates got pushed to them. So Amazon definitely has a history of slow updates for some people.