Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #2521
Mikii
Mikii began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 5 gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemiere View Post
MIkii, would you mind PM-sending me the metadata.kfx file of this book? You can find it inside folder
Code:
Documents/Long-Name-With-Book-Title-Or-Book-Author.sdr
of your kindle.
nemiere, I put download instructions and the link on my post, you should be able to get the free sample of the book from amazon with no problems; if you want to PM me your email I can of course send you the cover.

Chers,

Mikii
Mikii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:54 AM   #2522
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikii View Post
nemiere, I put download instructions and the link on my post, you should be able to get the free sample of the book from amazon with no problems; if you want to PM me your email I can of course send you the cover.

Chers,

Mikii
If that someone lives in Italy or uses an Italy proxy.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #2523
nemiere
nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikii View Post
nemiere, I put download instructions and the link on my post, you should be able to get the free sample of the book from amazon with no problems
Mikii, your book is in azw3 format, so the new fixed "kfxmeta.py" has no effect on it. The sample book you PM-linked to me seems to miss its cover both inside .azw3 and inside .sdr dir. As I'm not in Italy, I can't try downloading this sample book myself.
nemiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #2524
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Mikii, your book is in azw3 format, so the new fixed "kfxmeta.py" has no effect on it. The sample book you PM-linked to me seems to miss its cover both inside .azw3 and inside .sdr dir. As I'm not in Italy, I can't try downloading this sample book myself.
What?
You mean Python scripting can't be made to extract a cover that does not exist?

If instead we supply the cover, could you make the scripting write the book to match?
Old 06-12-2017, 02:49 AM   #2525
Mikii
Mikii began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 5 gen
nemiere, thank you for clarifying this. The strange thing is that I do see the cover on my kindle if I go to page 1 of the book. So knc1, YES, kindle does extract a cover of that book from somewhere else. (PS the kindle is offline)

Cheers,

Michele
Mikii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #2526
knc1
Going Viral

This if the first time I have heard of anyone trying the 'cover mode' on a sample book.
I am pretty sure NiLuJe never tested this add-in on sample books.

If you decide to get the real, full, book -
Then this add-in will probably work as expected.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:32 AM   #2527
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Just for fun, I have tried the book Mikii linked (I'm italian, so I downloaded the sample). I have an unpatched version of the SS-hack, and the cover mode does not work on that either.
I guess it is not designed to work on kindle samples (which btw makes sense, since it's only 5 minutes reading time)
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #2528
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It works for all my kfx amazon ebooks ("old" and "new" variations).
I have (at least) one ebook for which it doesn't work.
I am using knc1's pyton file, put in the latest snapshot of the SS hack.
After copying the file into the linkss/bin directory, I have even rebooted the kindle.

I know it is not the image cover itself, because the SS hack works perfectly if I put in the kindle the azw3 version of the book.
But if I put the kf8 version, no dice.

Is there a chance (and a way) for it to be debugged?
Old 06-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #2529
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
- - - -
Is there a chance (and a way) for it to be debugged?
Is it a public domain book that could be shared with someone to work on the problem?

Do you have any kf8 format books where the 'cover mode' does work?
Or does it fail for any and all books of that format?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #2530
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Is it a public domain book that could be shared with someone to work on the problem?
No, that one isn't a public domain book

Quote:
Do you have any kf8 format books where the 'cover mode' does work?
Or does it fail for any and all books of that format?
To be honest I have only tried with a couple: until I discovered the "hack" to the ss hack I though it could not handle kf8 files therefore I have never tried to use it.

Now I tried with two books and none of them did work, but one of these also givers a wrong cover in azw3 version.

Do you want me to try several book?

Last edited by Ruskie_it; 06-28-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Silence is golden
Old 06-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #2531
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
Now I tried with two books and none of them did work, but one of these also givers a wrong cover in azw3 version.

Do you want me to try several book?
If even one of them work, then it is not (entirely) the fault of the ss add-in.

If none of them work, regardless of how many you try, the it probably is some fault of the ss add-in.

So the more you can try, the more reliable the conclusion should be.

I am just trying to gather some background information for anyone who chooses to work on the problem.
(Not me, I don't program with Python.)

- - - -

There is a site rule about not even suggesting the sharing of copyright material.
It is a very sensitive matter here.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #2532
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If even one of them work, then it is not (entirely) the fault of the ss add-in.

If none of them work, regardless of how many you try, the it probably is some fault of the ss add-in.

So the more you can try, the more reliable the conclusion should be.

I am just trying to gather some background information for anyone who chooses to work on the problem.
(Not me, I don't program with Python.)
Okay so, I have tried converting 7 more books to KFX. 6 of them converted without problems, I didn't investigate the other as this was not in scope.
All 6 books - as the other 2 I tested - works just fine in azw3, they have their cover grabbed by the SS hack.
None of them do work if I upload them in KFX file.

If nemiere wants to have a look at it, that's just the way it is for me...

Let me know what you want me to test, unknown debugger.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:03 PM   #2533
nemiere
nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Okay so, I have tried converting 7 more books to KFX.
Perhaps you are using jhowel's Calibre plugin "KFX Output"? I've tried it also and I confirm that SS add-in does not work with ebooks converted by that plugin. Niluje's original work in SS with KFX ebooks (based on a python tool originally created by jhowel) extracted cover from metadata.kfx file (from .sdr ebook subdir).

But KFX output Calibre plugin doesn't generate such metadata.kfx file in converted KFX books (at least, not in my tests).

So, SS hack only extract a cover from an original amazon KFX file, not from a converted one. The ss add-in only solves a slight format change in latest amazon KFX ebooks.
nemiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:21 PM   #2534
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Perhaps you are using jhowel's Calibre plugin "KFX Output"?
You are absolutely right, I am.
Sorry I missed in the messages this very clear explanation. I have read the whole thread but this is that kind of things that you usually overlook when you read quickly the summary each day.
So, unfortunately, this does not help me.
I do have several content bought from Amazon, but I always choose to download it on my pc to manage my bookshelf with calibre, that does a much better job than Amazon's.
But calibre of course can't get nor manage KFX files taken by amazon directly, so I HAVE to use azw3 and then the KFX output plugin.

That's unfortunate nobody is still able to make SS hack work with those plugins as well.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #2535
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
You are absolutely right, I am.
Sorry I missed in the messages this very clear explanation. I have read the whole thread but this is that kind of things that you usually overlook when you read quickly the summary each day.
So, unfortunately, this does not help me.
I do have several content bought from Amazon, but I always choose to download it on my pc to manage my bookshelf with calibre, that does a much better job than Amazon's.
But calibre of course can't get nor manage KFX files taken by amazon directly, so I HAVE to use azw3 and then the KFX output plugin.

That's unfortunate nobody is still able to make SS hack work with those plugins as well.
Why don't you simply send the azw3 file to the Kindle? It will support that as well. If you use the Hyphenate-this plugin on it it will even break words properly with the azw3 file.

Dave
dhdurgee is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch