Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-19-2024, 11:53 AM   #4951
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Thanks, DiapDealer and APK.

OK, here are further details.

I have two three-packs of Kasa Smart Plug HS103P3, one three-pack was purchased in November 2021, and the second three-pack was purchased in November 2023.

Two plugs from the first pack work fine and always have (one is used as a timer, and one is used in lieu of a remote).

I am about 90 percent sure that the two plugs that keep losing connection (used as timers) are from the second, new pack.

A fifth plug that has been working fine may be from either pack. (I only started using it after buying the second pack.) The sixth plug isn't being used.

The Kasa app tells me that three plugs need updated firmware. I am leery of updating, in case it's the three old (working!) plugs that it wants to update and mess up. Is there a way to tell?

I'm not using the Alexa app, just the Kasa app. When a plug doesn't turn on the lamp, the Kasa app will say the device is unreachable, and I will see the plug flashing orange. I can turn on the lamp by pressing the button on the plug, at which point it turns blue. Usually it will turn off at the scheduled time, having reconnected itself to the network.

And, yes, I realize I could just buy another set of plugs. But why should I reward the manufacturer of a wonky product by buying it again? And if the difficulty is caused by something I'm doing, a new set will have the same issue.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:05 PM   #4952
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
How quaint. Amazon charging for services that used to be free. Who would've figured. LOL

If 'Remarkable Alexa' becomes a paid thing, look for the free basic version to now include ads."
No way I'd pay for Alexa. I don't even use it for occasional music anymore, only for kitchen measurements. I can Google them instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Or they'll bundle ad-free with Prime, and then start charging more for Prime.

I'm quitting Prime next month when my subscription re-ups. I'll miss it, but not to the tune of $139.
I rejoined Prime to get Amazon Fresh again. Amazon dropped the minimum for free delivery from $150 to $100, and that makes a huge difference to me, with my small refrigerator and small kitchen.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:20 PM   #4953
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I rejoined Prime to get Amazon Fresh again. Amazon dropped the minimum for free delivery from $150 to $100, and that makes a huge difference to me, with my small refrigerator and small kitchen.
I only use the free shipping component of Prime. Don't watch television, Fresh isn't an option nor any of the fastest delivery options, don't shop at Whole Foods, they broke Prime Music but I didn't use it anyway.... You get the drill. None of the add-ons have any value for me.

It means I'll have to resort to a combination of getting in the car more often/postponing/doing without. I also rarely need something rightnow, so at times I'll be able to combine purchases to hit the $35 free threshold. It'll be less convenient for the fiddly stuff and I may not be able to take advantage of a sale price on something I'm watching, but so it goes. I'm determined to avoid playing the mug's game of buying stuff just to get free shipping.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 01:34 PM   #4954
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Or they'll bundle ad-free with Prime, and then start charging more for Prime.

I'm quitting Prime next month when my subscription re-ups. I'll miss it, but not to the tune of $139.
In 10 days, Amazon will start charging folks an extra $3 per month if they want ad-free Prime Video. Otherwise, basic Prime Video will now include ads.

I've been Prime-free since the first part of November and loving it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 01:55 PM   #4955
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
No way I'd pay for Alexa. I don't even use it for occasional music anymore, only for kitchen measurements. I can Google them instead!
Alexa isn't a must have for me, it's a convenience. If basic Alexa becomes difficult to use or disappears altogether, my Echos will still function as Bluetooth speakers.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:07 PM   #4956
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I only use the free shipping component of Prime. Don't watch television, Fresh isn't an option nor any of the fastest delivery options, don't shop at Whole Foods, they broke Prime Music but I didn't use it anyway.... You get the drill. None of the add-ons have any value for me.
Fresh is the only Prime benefit that matters to me. It was the most reliable grocery delivery during the pandemic, and I continue to like the convenience of using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
In 10 days, Amazon will start charging folks an extra $3 per month if they want ad-free Prime Video. Otherwise, basic Prime Video will now include ads.

I've been Prime-free since the first part of November and loving it.
I didn't miss Prime Video during the time I was Prime-less, and haven't watched it since I rejoined. I do occasionally watch something on FreeVee, which already has ads. I haven't gotten anything from Amazon about paying extra for Prime Video, but I certainly won't.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:20 PM   #4957
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Where does Amazon find people willing to pay $25 for their smart plug? OK, it's discounted to "only" $20 today. I have 8 Kasa plugs that have never given me any trouble and are only $7.50 list but go on sale frequently for under $6.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 06:52 PM   #4958
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Where does Amazon find people willing to pay $25 for their smart plug? OK, it's discounted to "only" $20 today. I have 8 Kasa plugs that have never given me any trouble and are only $7.50 list but go on sale frequently for under $6.
Amazon's been jacking up prices for quite some time. Evidently they feel they have a large enough customer base to raise prices on services and goods while lowering customer service to terrible standards. They used to be good, but no longer.