Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
TWHanson1
Enthusiast
TWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: PC
Can't Remove Books

I'm using Dropbox for one of my libraries. It works fine for adding books, i.e. when I add a book in Calibre, the book and all of its folders and files show up in my Dropbox and in Calibre on any computer I log on to.

The problem occurs when I remove a book from my library. The book goes away on my computer in Calibre as it should, but is not removed from Dropbox, and therefore remains on Calibre for any other computer I log on to.

I'm using Windows 10 on one computer and Windows 8 on another. The problems seems to be independent of whichever computer I log on to.

Any ideas? Thanks.
TWHanson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWHanson1 View Post
I'm using Dropbox for one of my libraries. It works fine for adding books, i.e. when I add a book in Calibre, the book and all of its folders and files show up in my Dropbox and in Calibre on any computer I log on to.

The problem occurs when I remove a book from my library. The book goes away on my computer in Calibre as it should, but is not removed from Dropbox, and therefore remains on Calibre for any other computer I log on to.

I'm using Windows 10 on one computer and Windows 8 on another. The problems seems to be independent of whichever computer I log on to.

Any ideas? Thanks.
I haven't used Dropbox to sync, but I do use Google Drive. I've noticed that when I delete a book from Calibre, a pop-up appears from Google Drive asking me if I want to delete the folder. If I don't confirm, it won't delete it. Though when I open the Google Drive interface from the notification tray, all the missed notifications are there allowing me to delete them at that time.

Could you be missing similar notifications? Or could Dropbox's Windows app not be showing them to you?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2018, 03:30 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

Any ideas? Thanks.
Do you do the syncing in this order?

1. After removing the book on one computer, close Calibre, activate Dropbox (Dropbox must not be syncing while Calibre is open!), wait till the syncing is done and close Dropbox (or pause syncing)

2. Activate Dropbox on another computer, wait till the syncing is done, close Dropbox (or pause syncing) and then open Calibre
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
TWHanson1
Enthusiast
TWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting WindowsTWHanson1 format shifts faster than booting Windows

That may well be the case, thanks. BTW, what app on Google Drive do you use for your library?
Old 05-08-2018, 06:55 AM   #5
TWHanson1
Enthusiast

No, I leave Calibre and Dropbox open all the time on both computers. So what's the danger if Dropbox syncs while Calibre is open?
Thanks.
Advert
Old 05-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, I leave Calibre and Dropbox open all the time on both computers. So what's the danger if Dropbox syncs while Calibre is open?
Thanks.
There will almost certainly be conflicted copies if both Calibre and Dropbox access the database at the same time. It's strongly recommended to pause syncing while Calibre is open, otherwise you may have to deal with a messed up library sooner or later.

Btw, it's also a good idea to run Library Maintenance occasionally.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #7
TWHanson1
Enthusiast

OK, I think you solved the problem! Thanks Sirtel.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:32 AM   #8
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I haven't used Dropbox to sync, but I do use Google Drive. I've noticed that when I delete a book from Calibre, a pop-up appears from Google Drive asking me if I want to delete the folder. If I don't confirm, it won't delete it. Though when I open the Google Drive interface from the notification tray, all the missed notifications are there allowing me to delete them at that time.
Can we use Google Drive now to sync with Calibre? I didn't think we could, although I may be hopelessly behind on things. Going over to the Calibre forum to search!
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That may well be the case, thanks. BTW, what app on Google Drive do you use for your library?
I just use Google Drive: https://www.google.com/drive/download/
Old 05-09-2018, 10:23 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmom03 View Post
Can we use Google Drive now to sync with Calibre? I didn't think we could, although I may be hopelessly behind on things. Going over to the Calibre forum to search!
To be clear: I don't sync to Calibre on any other computer. I just use Google Drive to back up my Calibre library.

From the way Dropbox synching was described by Sirtel, Google Drive seems much simpler. It just runs all the time.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
To be clear: I don't sync to Calibre on any other computer. I just use Google Drive to back up my Calibre library.

From the way Dropbox synching was described by Sirtel, Google Drive seems much simpler. It just runs all the time.
Playing on a test setup with two VMs running calibre and connecting to a copy of my library on Dropbox for the first test and on Google Drive for the second test managed to glitch the library in both cases. My test case was importing books on both VMs simultaneously which left the cloud copy of the library in very sad shape. Anyone into unscrambling eggs?

I think I'm going to stick with my current setup where I backup my calibre libraries using import/export all data and those backups are synced to the cloud.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I think I'm going to stick with my current setup where I backup my calibre libraries using import/export all data and those backups are synced to the cloud.
Which is more or less what I do (though the back-up is automated by Google Drive). If disaster falls on me, I'd download all the books again rather than trying to link Calibre to Drive directly.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

I keep back-ups of my library that are not synced to any cloud, on my PC and on two external HDs. But my "working" library is synced to Dropbox because it's the most convenient solution for me (I work with my library on both my PC and my Surface tablet, of course not at the same time). There is really no other option for such an arrangement. I tried with a flash drive, but that was terribly slow. And it's too bothersome to connect and disconnect the external disks to my computers several times a day. So it has to be Dropbox. I never run Dropbox and Calibre at the same time, nor do I run Dropbox on my PC and my Surface at the same time. One has to be careful.

Last edited by Sirtel; 05-09-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #14
TWHanson1
Enthusiast

Really helpful dialog. After going over your replies, I'm beginning to think that I shouldn't sync my library at all. I really didn't want to sync my entire library anyway, rather, just a few books copied to cloud folders (Dropbox, Drive, etc.). What I don't understand is how to create this library in Calibre. How do I refer to the Drive or Dropbox location when Calibre asks for the path of my newly created library?
Old 05-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Really helpful dialog. After going over your replies, I'm beginning to think that I shouldn't sync my library at all. I really didn't want to sync my entire library anyway, rather, just a few books copied to cloud folders (Dropbox, Drive, etc.). What I don't understand is how to create this library in Calibre. How do I refer to the Drive or Dropbox location when Calibre asks for the path of my newly created library?
Right-click on the Library icon (should be on the main toolbar), Switch/create library, Use the previously existing library at the new location. Enter the path to your cloud library.